[Official] Train Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CaptainFoxy_, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ConductorConduit likes this.
  2. No, I wasn't born then sorry to disappoint. Most of my findings are online
    607 and We3_MPO like this.
  3. Ah, so the photograph was taken in that year as well. I actually thought you were taking these yourself, you had me going mate! lol ;)
    ConductorConduit and We3_MPO like this.
  4. Looks like a CSX autorack train pulled by some SD-40-2s nice! Autoracks are Racks for Automobiles side note.
    SkeleTin007 and We3_MPO like this.

5. A old Rio Grande EMD GP-35 showing her age at Lavonia, Ga. (Era. 2015) Credit to Joseph C Hinson Photography. Side note, the Rio Grande was absorbed by the Southern Pacific in 1989
    607, TomvanWijnen and We3_MPO like this.
  6. Old Rio Grande EMD SD-40T-2 pulling a consist in Pennsylvania on The Wheeling and Lake Erie line. No irony comes from the original idea for Orange and black scheme and even its speed lettering, the owner of WLEL was the original creator. It's ironic that the Rio Grande scheme comes back in 2015 on its lines.
    TomvanWijnen, 607 and We3_MPO like this.

7. Two non-patched Southern Pacific SD-45T-2 parked in Limon, CO. Era 2009 . Very rare to have these two locomotives as a pair . Only 249 of them were made and most of them were scrapped after the Southern Pacific era. An SD-45 was a upgraded version of the SD-40 where it had a bigger motor (V20) making it have 3,600 Hp. It's downside was it's tendency to break the drive shaft in half, making it a unpopular locomotive. Most SD-45s survivors have a upgraded crankshaft and are the basic blueprint for most modern locomotive engines today.
    TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  8. Ah, cool!
    What makes this official, though? Did Krysyy or Aikar authorise it? :)
  9. No, I am the official train guy. It makes it official ;)
    607 likes this.
  10. Oh no, Chrome was so stupid to refresh the page while I was still working on my post! D:
    Well, there it goes... :(
    It wasn't that long, but I also don't have the motivation to rewrite it right now, I'm sorry!
    ConductorConduit likes this.

11. Change of pace of the Rio Grande, the rival Santa Fe had a line between New Mexico and Colorado which is known as Raton Pass. This is an Alco PA in A-B-A configuration. The Southwest Cheif as this route is called is now run by Amtrak still to this day.
    607 likes this.
  12. Here's a picture of a train that has run through California at one point in time.

You can read more about this train by clicking here.
    ConductorConduit likes this.
  13. Sorry for slacking on posts but I've been busy with family activities and my work.

Here is Rio Grande #5329, an EMD SD-45 with Rio Grande #3051 in tow heading westbound. #3051 was the first GP-40 that Rio Grande has purchased back in January of 1966. They will be tacking the steepest part of the Tennessee Pass Route with 3% Grades to Midturn,CO. This Tunnel was the summit of the pass.
    607 likes this.

14. Most of the fate of the DRGW loccomotives after the merger, were called patched DRGW units. To me very ugly and a poor way to treat the heritage. There are no patched units anymore, all are either repainted to UP yellow or sold off either scrap or leasing companies. Picture era 2003
    607 likes this.
  15. Thinking about what you posted, there has been a locomotive on Thomas & Friends which interested me. There was just a "Meet Sam - A New Friend on Sodor" promotional video which I will show you here and a book about helping Thomas and Percy build a Railway Museum. Many fans as I see it want him back on a T.V premiere. Was interested why they picked this locomotive over the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy.

Sam is based on the Virginian Railway Class AG "Blue Ridge" locomotive, built in 1945 by the Lima Locomotive Works. It had a 2-6-6-6 set which is 2 wheels leading trucks, 2 sets of 6 driving wheels, and 6 trailing wheels.

However with most Mallet type engines in The States, this too was followed by the scrapper torch in 1960. There were no survivors of the "Blue Ridge" locomotives. Had a relatively short lifespan too with a 10-year active road service hauling coal out of the Appalachian Mountains. History is fun.
    TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  16. Yesterday I was on Schiphol station for the first time... (on the way to a meet-up with EMC'ers :D)
    I'm not used to trains driving underground. :p I took a video but it's not great, I had hoped for the train to come while I was filming but it took a bit longer than I thought. Moreover, it was taken with my phone, a Nokia... :p
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  17. This image is in Midturn,CO where Rio Grande and Southern Pacific tunnel moters mixed. The two railroad companies were the main buyers of these loccomotive type. Era unknown pre 1997
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  18. Oh, I love trains! I remember the old thread, and wanted to comment, but couldn't really come up with something to comment, and then it was gone before I thought of something. :p

Now I do have something: a picture I made myself, before returning home from a mini-school trip to The Hague a few weeks ago. I don't really know why, but for some reason I quite like this picture, made in Den Haag Centraal (The Hague Central (station)). :)

That left train is a Dutch SLT (Sprinter Lighttrain), and is from somewhere in 2007-2012 (wow, I didn't know that we had them so long already. :D)

The train on the right is a Dutch Sprinter or SGM(m), and is from somewhere in 1975-1983. They were modernised from 2003-2009. Starting nowish, a new type of train will start to replace SGM. In my opinion not really needed, as even though they are quite old, they still work really well as far as I know (I travelled twice with them that day. ;)).
    607 and ConductorConduit like this.