[Official] Train Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CaptainFoxy_, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Yeah, why is that? I thought it was so there would be toilets in them, but they are building toilets into the old ones too, right?
  2. I got into trains when I was in elementary school, when we went on a field trip and rode a train called the Heber Creeper. It was so amazing. I will be moving soon to a bigger house and when I move I am going to start building a model train. I am not sure which one yet but i think I will go with ho scale
    ConductorConduit likes this.
  3. Oh, that's cool! My father has made plans and started building three or four times, but he never got too far, unfortunately (he isn't alive anymore either, so all the trains and tracks lie unused nowadays).
    Cissonius and ConductorConduit like this.
  4. I have a couple of HO scale trains that need to be refurbished to this era. Really don't have time for it now. Too busy with work and such
  5. Speaking of H0... I'll look the picture up again I wanted to post when I lost my post due to my browser refreshing.
    I used to be in love with these as a kid. <3

(not my picture)
    I think we've still got six or so lying around somewhere. :p
    I'm not a big fan of Shell as a company or anything (I don't have a car, so I don't often visit gas stations :p), but I just think these wagons are adorable. <3
  6. That is really sad I am sorry for your loss. You could finish them for him though in his memory
    ConductorConduit and 607 like this.
  7. That's an idea to consider, but the most recent plan was only just a plan - the furthest he ever got was around 2009 I think, but then my parents decided to move, so everything had to be put away again...
    We do want to keep the trains, though. We've considered selling some on eBay (or the Dutch equivalent) for some extra money, but that doesn't quite feel right. So for now they're staying with us, in the attic. :)
    ConductorConduit and Cissonius like this.
  8. Been dormant on this because I forgot. Whoops :p

Today I am going to talk a little history between some railroads. Fun all around. This is between The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (ATSF) and Southern Pacific Lines (SP).

December 23, 1983, Both the Southern Pacific and Santa Fe were planning to combine as one company. These companies created the Kodachrome scheme with their related companies on the sides of the locomotive. The "Kodachrome" name came after Kodak's Kodachrome Slide film colors on the box. The name stuck. By July 24, 1986, The Interstate Commerce Commission denied (SPSF) the merger as "monopolistic". These two companies owned most of the routes of California and adjacent states around it. The two companies appealed again by June 30, 1987, but were denied for the same reason. So what happened Rio Grande Industries bought out Southern Pacific by 1988 since Southern Pacific Company was in a limbo state of operating. Rio Grande Industries actually direct transferred their whole company to another taking over the name. (Southern Pacific Transporation Company) By 1995 Burlington Northern and Santa Fe merged and made BNSF (Burlington Northern and Santa Fe) which still operates today. That move made their company sore in stock price. Soon thereafter, Southern Pacific was starting to fail with lack of maintenance and not upgrading lines to accommodate traffic, scaring customers. Philip Anschutz, the owner of the Rio Grande Industries and Southern Pacific, pulled the plug. Union Pacific purchased the company the following year after the BNSF merger.

Now, just a little-heated section of my part. Philip Anschutz is a billionaire which is 34th riches dude in the world as of 2017. He was solely responsible of the failure of the Railroad Company he owned. He cut corners to make money when it became an apparent problem, he sold it and living off billions. You always wonder, he became Vice Chairman of the Union Pacific after the merger... Hmmm, what made him sell it off during that time? There are also more issues where he purchased Pikes Peak Railway and Grand Canyon Railroad which both are failing... Both in maintenance and lack of revenue. Man, history is repeting itself that it's sad. Pikes Peak railway is currently shut down for good. The news is saying that The State of Colorado subsidiary it for the following company who own Durango Silverton Railroad and the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad. Let's just hope that we can clean up Philip's filth...

History is neat when you get dirty and down with it. It's like a good book but real. You see the build-up and climax of everything that happened thereafter. This little history blip is one of those times.
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  9. Had a neighbor once that had their entire basement filled with modeled landscape scenes full of tracks and a load of trains on shelves and on the tracks. Was very awesome to look.
    607 likes this.
  10. Oh, apparently Miniatur Wunderland is being expanded!

I've never been there, I would love to see it, though. It looks wonderful indeed.

11. The Southern Pacific "Cab Forward" locomotive is one of many steam locomotives to be odd. The Engineer and Fireman were passing out due to smoke inhalation to the excessive amount of snow tunnels along Donner pass... Southern Pacific in team with Baldwin Locomotive works, they made the cab forward. They were primarily used in freight and the cab forward was possible because of using Fuel Bunker Oil. Only one exist in the California State Railroad Museum. Definitely something to look at.
    607, TomvanWijnen and FadedMartian like this.
  12. I love thomas the train when i was little i would watch it ALL the time
  13. I've been in Miniatur Wunderland once - it's amazing. Like, I can't put it in words amazing. On the one hand it's much smaller than it sounds, but on the other hand it's still ridiculously large. The attention to detail is insane, and it's not only fun for the trains, it's much, much more than that. :)

If you decide to go (you should), do note the following: it's usually madly busy. Buy tickets online, saves a massive line. Do not go at the busiest times, it's simply too busy then - either go really early, or late (after 16:00), it's better then. Also, try to go on a day on which likely less people will be there (non weekend, non German holiday).

I went there once, for about 3 hours or so, but if I'm ever in or near Hamburg again, I'll definitely go again. It's great - a definite recommendation. :)
    607 and ConductorConduit like this.
  14. Thank you very much. :)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  15. This picture got second place in Wikimedia's Picture of the Year 2018!
  16. That is indeed not a particularly bad sight to look at. :D
    607 likes this.
  17. This was the first year I was able to vote on the images (you need to have made 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before the contest starts to be able to), and while I missed two of the three (or maybe more :p) rounds, in round two I did take some time to vote and this was an easy pick! Most pictures were amazing, though, and you could only select 3 out of about 30 (if I recall correctly), in the second round.

18. Denver and Rio Grande #268 In bumblebee paint scheme run on the Gunnison branch. Era of photo unknown sometime before 1960 where it sits in static display in Gunnison, Colorado.
    607 likes this.
  19. Yesterday the culture committee of our study association, which I am a part of, organised an event where we created a train together! It was really cool. :D
    One of us created a template beforehand, so that we could put the trains together in the end. We have yet to do this, and I'm not sure if I can share the full picture here because of privacy and copyright, but I would very much like to share my contributions. :D
    Both are of model trains that my father had and that I loved as a kid. I see that I've posted about one of them earlier in this thread. ;)

ConductorConduit and MoreMoople like this.
  20. I know nothing about trains themselves but I can tell you about the entire history of British railroads (thus the invention of trains and railroads...) and British Rail if u want
    607 and ConductorConduit like this.