New Staff Application!!! (Version 5.0)

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Krysyy, May 31, 2015.

1. This server has the best staff i have ever seen on a server.
  2. I think she puts them in her coffee.
  3. I always thought she skinned mods and made them into shoes
    ww2fan168, AmusedStew and Drmadfate like this.
  4. So blackknight is a robot? Oh no.
    BlackKnight1021 likes this.
  5. BlackKnightRobotPony
    Drmadfate and BlackKnight1021 like this.
  6. Well yes, she uses the skin to make some very fashionable shoes (they also explode, FYI), but she uses the rest to sweeten her coffee.

Ssshhh, no one is supposed to know.

BlackKnightRobotPonyChicken1021
    Drmadfate and ww2fan168 like this.
  7. no wonder your profile pic. is a pony covered in metal :O. I thought it was armor but now we all know
  8. Its Chonybotight
    BlackKnight1021 likes this.
  9. No, First Max makes exploding shoes with them, after Wearing them out or Exploding them, she Makes them into coffee, which is then fed to her lizards
  10. what type of coffee? My old lizards preferred Dark coffee before they ran off a while back =P
  11. I looked through the application and i would have to say. This application was very thought through. Many of the questions asked for a longer answer therefore keeping out people who are just joining and wanting to join the staff team. I found myself putting almost a paragraph for almost each question that was asked. I also like how the senior staff and owner seek out to learn a little about your life outside of EMC. They do not require you to "sell your soul" to mine-craft just to be staff. I know it may sound funny, but there are servers out there that if you are not on every day for at least an hour a day, they could take you off of their staff team. Again Great Job guys. I hope to see the results :cool:
  12. Hrmph, I believe it's spelt "they most definitely do require you to sell your soul to Maxarias so she can chop them into cubes and put them in her morning coffee"? =P
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  13. And then possibly fed to this horrible, hideous beast:

*shudders* Look at that thing! I don't know whether to tremble before its might or bow before its superior cuteness.

I think my favorite part about this thread is that we have managed to turn a totally serious, wonderful topic into a slightly disturbed and not at all serious conversation about chopping up staff, coffee, and lizards... Ah, EMC, in some ways you'll never change.
    PenguinDJ and cadenman2002 like this.
  14. no.....NOT THE ADORABLE LEOPARD GECKOS!
  15. I filled out the Application and like dethfromabov31, almost every question was filled with at least a paragraph of writing (whoever reads my app will be there a while :p). I thought the questions were very thought out and fit perfectly for the requirements to become staff.

My only problem is the wait afterwards to find out who the new staff is! Lol :D

By the way, I vote for bowing before the gecko's cuteness... I did not get much of a sense of 'might' as much as 'cuteness'.
  16. What about llamas?
  17. I'm basing this on what I've seen from the last version of the application, but it's fair to say that for many of the questions, not going into detail or giving a thorough explanation won't cut it. If you're treating this like an ID exam (assuming you know what that is) you will more than likely not be selected.

I can say this: based on the little I know about the process, the application is essentially your job application and interview. Both items take a lot of time, prep and thought to complete successfully under normal, real life, conditions. To not handle it in a similar manner will typically end badly for your chances.

You'll have the power to do a lot of good, but also a significant amount of harm, to EMC if you are selected. The harm won't be in crashing servers, but you do wield the banhammer upon admission. Compared to a server crash, PR is the far more significant threat and hiring staff that abuse those privileges with the mute and banhammers is a good way to wreck the public image of EMC. I'm not saying the admins will deliberately hire such people, but a couple well timed and well placed shots can wreak havoc via internal conflict and divisions if you have malicious intentions. This whole process is to, first and foremost, weed those people out.

This is why I appreciate the depth of the questions. Many of them put you in realistic scenarios (the vast majority of which actually happened at some point according to krysyy) and leave it open-ended for how you would handle it. Questions like this determines characteristics such as the following:
    • Your ability to work through and solve problems quickly
    • Working coherently with the rest of the staff and admins on various items as they come up
    • Conflict resolution skills with players
    • Effective communication skills in writing
    • Writing reports in a coherent manner: Bans and (likely) other staff action involve write ups and you need to demonstrate the ability to concisely dictate the issue that came up, how it was resolved and the reasoning for why you resolved it the way you did (giving evidence the entire way). Such skills smooth out the appeal processes because the reports will be reviewed for possible reversal or even future action.
    Here's the kicker guys: I just covered 7/10 of the most sought after skills in the work force today in those 5 bullet points. If you're on the staff already you're ahead of the eight ball on this point.

These questions do more than test applicants. It ensures that those who get through round 1 of the process are the real deal. Honestly (and this is my opinion) if you do get through round one and your overall history/demeanor is good on EMC, it's not a question of if but when for your green title. :)

If you do apply, answer questions thoroughly, creatively and sincerely. If you're saying the right answers to get onboard, then odds are you'll have flags popping up somewhere in the process.

And yes, people can tell the difference between honest answers and vanilla answers. Most people, including A LOT of adults, can't write well enough to merge the two effectively. If you don't believe me, talk to a hiring manager at a Fortune 500 company sometime and take a look at the vast majority of the resumes he or she throws out. Chances are there's nothing remarkable about them.

DISCLAIMER: I have not applied for a staff position and probably never will due to IRL obligations. I'm just looking at it from an objective point of view.
  18. I'd like to announce that EMC has switched flavors! We are now dark chocolate as opposed to the French Vanilla, thank you.
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  19. Submitted my app. Answered every question with: "Yolo".

Pretty confidant at my chances.
  20. Welcome to the staff team.

Im saying it now, early.
    ShelLuser, Gawadrolt and x7mx like this.