Meet Blizz Ard!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Krysyy, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The mod doesn't know the difference between Marlix, Enraged Skeleton or a normal one. Even if you have the skeletons shown, you still need to find the right one and kill it your self. It's more then just showing mobs it's also an on screen map and you have have waypoints, etc. No different than having the live map on the website.
    ElfinPineapple0 likes this.
  2. Plus it has no output increase from killed mobs, so as said before there's nothing economically advantageous from it.
  3. Voxel Minimap is the only real contender for minimap these days, which is one of the #1 mods people want...

We feel the mob part is questionable, but we really cant disallow the mod entirely. Though I can see if there is a kill flag for disabling radar.
    krysyyjane9191 likes this.
  4. How is the mob part questionable Aikar?
  5. Normal mobs don't fly around like Marlix. It's easy to differentiate between a Marlix, Enraged Skeleton and normal skeleton based on the speed they move. As in, really easy.

In fact, I think Marlix shows up as a spider jockey, so you don't even need to consider whether a fast-moving skeleton is a Marlix or an Enraged Skeleton.
  6. Being able to hunt down mobs without even a guess. It's not coincidence that the messages that popped up in chat said 'nearby, etc'. You are still supposed to put forth the effort to find it.

Radar functions kill the fun.
  7. You could say the same thing about making an iron farm, instead of mining, or a mob farm instead of fighting. Yes it can show a mob on that map but you still need to find it. I see no advantage here. It doesn't help you kill anything or increase your odds of a drop. I've had mobs on my map and still couldn't find them. Maybe it's just me, I don't see an advantage even if a mob is displayed.

Don't see how. There's an on/off button. If I don't like something I don't use it. I like using it on my mob farm so I can see if there's something stuck in it.
  8. The standard for an allowable mod is one that "do[es] not impact how easy it is to play or strive in the game." Since this mod shows precisely where custom mobs are located - an ability non-users do not have - it provides a distinct advantage to its users, and it should not be allowed.

That custom mobs don't always drop rare items is a poor response; you always get tokens, and you usually get diamonds and dragon stone fragments.
  9. Ok so let's do away with the live map then. That gives you an advantage as well. You can wonder off without much worry of getting lost and not finding your way back home. There are many mods that can give you a bit of an advantage but they are not game breakers. Given that the special mobs spawn rarely as it is, I hardly see this mod breaking the game or allowing people to massively profit from it.

Anyways, I've said me piece on it.
  10. People don't have an issue with common mobs showing up on a live map because the advantage is practically nonexistent.
  11. Ummmm REI's Minimap? That's then one I use and it works just fine and doesn't show mobs at all.

No, because an iron farm is something you build. It takes time, materials, skill. Installing a mod doesn't. It's not a good comparison.
    607 likes this.
  12. It was mentioned that using the map takes away from actually looking for the mob. That's exactly what farms do. No need to literally play the game when you can sit and collect iron, gold, mobs, food and every mob drop. So, yes, it is a good comparison and IMO all these farms give you way more of an advantage then an icon on the screen.

I still haven't seen the advantage besides an icon on the screen. You don't gain extra drops, it doesn't help you kill, it doesn't spawn more of them and it has zero effect on the game and/or economy. Yes it shows you the area it is in but you still need to find it. It can be anywhere from block 1 to 255.
    ElfinPineapple0 likes this.
  13. Also, in defense of the mod. You could say that the in game messages you receive give the same advantage. "It's getting colder in the area" or "The holiday chest appeared at X/Y."

I Voxel as well. It does not distinguish the enraged mobs from normal mobs. You have to actually go look for them. Also, the range of the actual radar itself is minimal. You still have to actually go out and look for them.

Honestly, the ONLY reason I use voxel is for when I'm in the Nether. Which I am alot. Being up high farming glowstone or working on my gold farm up 120 blocks in the air with alava around it makes it just a touch easier to NOT die because of ghasts. I can see them as they spawn so I don't get knocked off and plummet to my death.

Long Story Short: I don't see what the big deal is honestly. Everyone has access to it, everyone has the ability to use it. If you don't like it, fine... don't use it. However don't go raining on others parade for those that DO actually like what it does. It doesn't give as much of an advantage as one would think.
    FWRonald and ElfinPineapple0 like this.
  14. jkjkjk182 likes this.
  15. This is roughly why we 'allowed' it, but didnt support/encourage.

With us not being a PvP Server, it wasn't as big of a deal but still debateable on fairness.
    Now I found out why my block code wasnt working, I will be blocking it.
    wkramer79 likes this.
  16. We can still use the map and waypoints though?

Shame a few have to ruin things for the many...
    Pab10S, FWRonald and ChickenDice like this.
  17. You need to stop conflating normal mobs and custom mobs, and you need to stop conflating reliance on default game mechanics and reliance on mods.

There are no Blizz Ard farms. There are no Marlix farms. If you're notified that one has spawned, you have to find it in a wide radius (I'd guess 100x100). Plus, often times the mob already spawned for someone else and you don't get any notification message at all. If you're not using the mod, you have to get lucky and see it or its nametag. If you are using the mod, it's clear where it's located even though it might not be visible to you otherwise. That's affording mod users a huge advantage over non-users. And that's why you're defending it so vehemently.

Mob farms are as old as the game itself and do not require and mods to create or use. Every user has the ability to build a mob farm by default. The standard for an allowable mod is one that does not give users advantages over non-users. As we've established, non-mod users are not able to find custom mobs with the ease that mod users are. Analogizing mob farms to mod use doesn't make any sense at all.
    wkramer79 likes this.
  18. Yeah I think Aikar made it clear earlier that the mob locator was the only part of the mod that he was going to block and the rest was okay.
  19. With the exception of Momentus, all custom mobs are distinguishable from normal mobs on the minimap, either by their behavior or common sense. Marlixes show up as spider jockeys that move much faster than normal spider jockeys do. Enraged mobs move faster than normal mobs. Blizz Ards are snow golems which, absent an extraordinarily rare event, are not present in the wild at all.

"Everyone has access to it" is ridiculous argument. Everyone has access to brightness hacks. Should they be allowed?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.