[LOOKING FOR INPUT] Tutorial Ideas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IcecreamCow, Feb 25, 2013.

1. There is equinox liking all the posts ;)
    607, IamSaj, DogsRNice and 2 others like this.
  2. I aggree. Maybe somewhere a huge sign should say:
    IT SUCKS TO BE DUMB
    READ THE GUIDE
    Lasluin likes this.
  3. I'd definitely like to see it have more of a fun and attractive system to complete it - sort of like an adventure map, except you learn as well.

I'll have more input later :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Ok, I have an good idea of what this could all look like:

-New Tutorial World
    -6 Questions with Shorter Answer Paths
    -10 commandments on the wall
    -Different terrains in each room
    -Inside each room, a teleport to a certain player's epic residence but they cannot get out of that residence
    -Teleports at the end of paths
    -Maybe a room at the end where it says: Meet the Mods: (list of all the mods)
    -In each of the residences that are epic, they can help find clues to help them finish the tutorial.
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  5. Mentors.

Players who aren't quite responsible enough to become moderators are appointed to greet new players in the tutorial, help them set up a residence and get started in the Empire. It gives us an image as a hospitable community, which is exemplary.
    607, Jcplugs, IamSaj and 9 others like this.
  6. They should be able to have a quick look around town. Maybe they could be invisible? Perhaps you can make it less of a guessing game. The chambers are randomized. When you guess incorrectly you are sent back to one before the one you entered. Just to make sure they don't blindly guess.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. This has been a suggestion a number of times. Not saying it isn't a good one.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. And along this idea: Clubs.

I have "guided" a lot of people already but it becomes a problem when one is not available and they cannot find someone else or make friends easily because everyone is minding their own business.

I've met so many people without an objective or an idea for building... Creating clubs or brotherhoods would help people meeting each other, feel like they belong somewhere and find a reason to stay and keep playing. Outposts and projects in the wild show how that stuff keeps us interested and entertained, but they may seem a bit out of reach.

Most people focus on the money making and creating a shop, so it could be a good idea to give them tips on what other things they could do by choosing a "house"... you know, like Gryffindor or something like that xD that just fits them and reminds them what kind of thing they like to do on Minecraft.

I know this is going a bit far from the tutorial thing, but just as much asit's useful and helpful, it should add something different and atractive to the Minecraft experience.
    Equinox_Boss and HylianNinja like this.
  9. OK, so here is my idea:
    Make it a seperate world, do the town thing and all where they can explor, BUT make a new updated maze as well, a less bring one, maybe add a little parkour or something in the maze to show how fun EMC is. get the statues plug in and make it so all the staff is up there and people will know. Add how many people have joined EMC since it was first up, so they will be like "Holy shiz that is alot of people". Junt some ideas :p
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Dunno why, but this makes me think of the runescape PMod and JMod system...

Mentors = PMods - no power, and basically there to help others
    Mods = JMods - staff to do the moderation stuff
  11. i disagree with letting them see chat. There was a huge arguement on smp5 that went on for a while, and they do not need to see that
    IamSaj, jkjkjk182, battmeghs and 2 others like this.
  12. I suggested that once but got accused of acting in the interest of a communist faction I was in at the time :(
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. I think the tutorial should have all incorrect paths removed completely ... when i first joined, when i read the other signs i actually remembered them and got confused later which command to use in town ...

I feel like the tutorial room should basically be kind of like the 'visiting the town thing' but you will be a ghost (invisible)

once you start you start in the tutorial room, you will go through a series of tutorial teleports:

each teleport takes you to your 'ghost residence' and you are prompted on your screen to use one of the commands

once you type in the command correctly ... you are rewarded and return to the teleports room infront of the next tutorial tp ...

go through that teleport, do the next command ... I think it teaches you the commands, and rules correctly, and makes it interacting

The last two teleports would be /report feature .... and your chat screen has random fake player (player123) names spam things in your chat ... and you are prompted to report that fake player ... and you type in /report player123 spamming chat ....

And the final screen prompt shows you all of the rules and says to follow them all, and when you are ready to join and follow the things you learned type /town ... need to learn something again? type /teleport rts ...

This is my suggestion :3
  14. That has its advantages. It would let the new player see how epic our staff team are at getting rid of idi... troublemakers. :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. All of my ideas have been said except one:

The new shop is Egyptian. Maybe the new tutorial should be Greek or Roman styled? This would solve the visual appeal problems people are commenting on.

I definitely think it's important to have people start in a place that shows off the best of what the Empire is.
  16. maybe we can team up and we can make a video of the entire Empire Guide. :D I know that many people are too lazy to read the guide so perhaps if I made a short but informational video of the guide they will watch it and learn from it.
    And then based on that they have watched, they have to answer a series of questions on the website instead of doing a maze.
    But it would be really cool if we had a welcome team in the tutorial that would help them learn about EMC- not get the answers to the tutorial questions but get a tour and stuff :D

Edit- Oh a tutorial world would be awesome! Thats a great idea :) Although I hope we could have a welcome team to be in there because it might get kinda lonely.
    ChocoboXV, Equinox_Boss and Lasluin like this.
  17. In my very very first MMORPG, there was something similar. At the starting point, a statue offered you being a teacher for a new player. There was an economic reward for both, the pupil got basic armor and weapon, and you would be bound for a while via experience: the teacher received a small percentage of the experience the pupil got until level 30.

Something like this would surely make people want to help out others :p

Ok and this is the last thing I say off topic, back to the tutorial thing hehe.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  18. The Empire MineCast was considering this before we shut down. We might be able to go through the guide and make a video tutorial for the Empire if there's enough interest. (Read as: Jeremy, if people seem to want this, PM me and let me know that we should do it. Aaron and I have both reduced the amount of work we have, so over the next few weeks we'll be much more available for this kind of thing)

EDIT: totally missed the fact that other people are interested in filming... XP I'm tired. I'd be more than happy to help out.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. I agree with the Empire Guide in book form, however, even when you are done with the tutorial, you should get to keep it. If, say, you lose it, then you can buy it at the Empire Shop for 1r (or free, just compensation for being an idiot and throwing it away).
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  20. Leather armor in the starting pack.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.