[LOOKING FOR INPUT] Tutorial Ideas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IcecreamCow, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I find it hilarious the guy in the sweater is just like "oh...he's kicked Grandma in the trachea. Oh well, I'll bury her later."
  2. Put like awesome creations and mod/admin statues in between rooms
  3. I have already had plans made for the Tutorial for a few months now. The plans were for it to be a new world, somewhat open range, where a player could wander, see the cool new tutorial, and then wander over to the answer/question. They'd be yes or no questions, but if they got them wrong, they'd get teleported all the way back to the very beginning question. One of the rooms was going to be a Parkour course made purely of RTS, showing how it works, basically, so you'd be able to learn it. (Also explaining how it worked.) The theme was going to be a Pharaoh's Tomb.
    I had plans to add in a guide book as well, for those of you who were talking about that. If you've got any questions/concerns, please Reply to this message (so I'll see it in my alerts easier), and let me know. :)
  4. Maybe u should make a tp at the dead ends so the players dont have to walk all the way back :/
    Edit: nevermind ....
  5. Lol all these years in the Internet and I had never seen that video, only the very accurate gif made after it:

admin_kick.gif

And yes, people needs to be "forced" to visit the site, Guide and forums like Rainbowchin says. Many don't because they find complicated to browse places with many words. I was told, literally "I don't even know how to post".

Not sure what could bring them here tho, if they don't come for the 700 rupees for voting.
  6. See that little number under your post? The bottom right corner? YOUR SECOND.

As for ideas, maybe put them in a situation dealing with the rules, and they have to make the right choice, not a maze, real life events in EMC, like, you watch a video somehow, showing someone fly hacking and then they have to choose what to do. Aikar, please do coding. :D
    IamSaj likes this.
  7. Best. Idea. Ever.
    eklektoi likes this.
  8. Best GIF ever lol
    Lasluin likes this.
  9. There could be a random-looking chest at the end of the tutorial that says, "MCminer401 Stuff". If they open it, they get teleported back to the beginning with a message that to take something from the chest would be stealing, and against the rules. ;)
    Lasluin and PandasEatRamen like this.
  10. Well, because of the yes or no questions, one of the yes/no questions was going to be "Is it okay to steal from other players?" Yes - teleport all the way back to the beginning, no - teleport to next station.

Another idea Aikar and I have been toying with, is a secret chest-like thing in a place that can only be seen/gotten to with illegal mods.. After a question that asks if it's okay to use hacks/illegal mods on EMC. If they go to it, tempban for a few hours (They already have nothing). Anyways, if they got out of the tutorial and started hacking, well.. Permaban with no appeal.

The idea is to go over all the rules/info/everything you need in a simple yes/no format, using rts teleports. If you're all against the pharaoh's tomb theme, let me know, as I can easily change my mind. :p
  11. I would like the theme to be Roman, as JabrZero suggested. The New Republic's government buildings are planned to be modernised Roman architecture with some other themes mixed in, perhaps you could do the same :)
  12. FYI the part of joining the site and doing the tutorial will still be required...

Just trying to spice it up a little to give more opportunity to "set the hook".

As for seeing bad chat.. It doesn't matter if they see it in guest mode or after, if the chat bothers them its going to drop them from us regardless...

It would do us more good than harm for players to see the chat.

One server even allows guest to chat with other guest in the tutorial, so we will likely do the same as I thought that system was nice.
    IamSaj and Curundu like this.
  13. Perhaps just give all players a book containing all the rules?
  14. Could we possibly incorporate, both yours, mine, and heyaroo's ideas ... all within the tutorial standard, but there being 3 parts to it? 1 of them being optional

Heyaroo's idea: To make guide videos, optional to watch (but it would greatly help if you watched them)

My idea: basically to have people be in a fake residence, and be prompted to try and use commands
    (this could be a how-to portion of tutorial) as it teaches people how to use /report , /res set, /v open, /ch, /ignore, etc
    Once they get a command right, they are rewarded, and returned to go to the next command tutorial teleport, and be prompted etc.
    (after they do my tutorial, they move on to your portion of the tutorial)

Your idea: You could be the quiz portion of the tutorial as it tests someone to see if they understand the guidelines of emc's rules and paid attention during the videos or the other tutorial
    (eg: Is it okay to steal? Yes, No ... Yes] Be penalized by returning to first room, No] proceed to next question ... and you could also have a sign and ore behind a wall in one portion, the sign says " if you can read this, please go left" (meaning they are using xray they can see it, they are temp banned, if they can see it and go left) if they can't see it, then they just see the other, normal sign on the right infront of the wall, that says - please go right, and move on to next question...

This is my idea of the ideas - what do you think?
    heyaroo likes this.
  15. I like the Pharoh's Tomb idea. I think the yes or no questions are great. Was just thinking of a little reinforcement to the questions already answered. Tempban might be a bit severe. Perhaps just a kick with lots of red text saying "Big mistake buddy." ;)
  16. I remember this working really well on a (possibly the same) server that I've been on. Kinda seemed nice to have newbies come out of the tutorial with people they "know" already.
  17. Guest mode is a good idea, but as far as the tutorial goes, I have this view:

The more hurdles you put in front of a person, the more commitment and dedication (Or sheer bloody-mindeness) they must have to complete what you've put before them.

Hence, if a tutorial is long and in-depth and people bail before they finish it, were they really EMC material to start with?

Consider it the CAPTCHA for the server. :)
  18. Well, I think we need a new tutorial. Not saying that the current one doesn't do the job, but it's very cramped and isn't very pleasing to the eye. Not that you spend a long time in there, but I think we need something that resembles EMC more.

I was thinking we could have something that resembles the Empire, as a tutorial. Something like "Clean, and fast". I think a clean block, like iron or something, in a big room would fit. Open to having this idea improved :)
  19. If it was very interactive, people could learn easier, adding on to everything else planned.
  20. my only problem with the tutorial is the last question lol, i kept reading and re-reading the guide to figure out which rule was most important eventually i just guessed but if a person is following the guide to the letter they might not know which one to pick and waste time (and thus get annoyed) at the result.

i do think it should be made a bit more classy though