[LOOKING FOR INPUT] Tutorial Ideas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IcecreamCow, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Iron maybe? Leather is utter junk.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. You guys are the Empire Minecast: the original EMC videomakers -bows down- so if you want any help with ur videos I would love to help :D I was just gonna ask what video you were going to do because I saw some of your tutorial videos but I was thinking of making it more like a 3-4 minute video of the guide that is like a short film like the promotional video I made.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. Iron armor is too much. That is something that needs to be earned.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. *Aikar, add Stone Armor.*
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. i really really really really really LOVE this idea!
    i've seen other servers do that, and to be honest, i've just thrown it out of my inventory.... that would be completely looked over. bad idea.
    and jack is amazing, has anyone ever told you that? well, i just did, again.
    i honestly don't think anyone likes it, if i would ever make another minecraft account, i would dread having to do it myself... lol even though i know everything, it is just, painful.
    and... i'm pretty sure i'll be riding that JUST for the fun. ^.^ i'm game for this idea too!

very good point >.<
  6. I'd think actually 2 videos would be most appropriate. The first would cover basically whatever people decide should be in the tutorial. It would be no longer than 3 minutes or so. The second would be a "Getting Started on EMC" video. It would follow a new player as they left the tutorial and began to make their way in EMC. It would review all the things in the other video, while adding a ton of other useful information, all in the context of what players will actually be doing in their first few minutes on EMC. This second video would be around 10 minutes long.
    ChocoboXV, Equinox_Boss and Curundu like this.
  7. XD it's kinda funny that most people seem to dislike the tutorial, while it was my second main reason to want to stay on EMC. I was kind of nervous because at first I thought it could be timed or that if I failed, I'd be out. I even do it every now and then when there's no one online, and I was happy to go through it with my cousin when she joined.

I thought it was so original and it made EMC look so exclusive and fancy, and I am in love with quests of any type so I was really hoping there would be more of that. I sort of rage when a new player joins and comments that it was ridiculous, like c'mon! It was a game! :p
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. I agree. Some people could have the same issue I did when it came to mazes. Their computers may not be that great and so they lag. When I joined EMC and did the tutorial I don't remember lagging but I tried to do the Maze on SMP3 amusement park and HayleyColgan's melon maze as well as BeLugh's maze on SMP7. I would lag so bad I would spin a complete circle and be looking at the opposite end of the hall and it would look just like the other end so I had no idea which way I had came from since the walls and floor were all the same and blended in.
    With the amount of Iron farms popping up and all the Double chests of iron going for auction, I don't see how Iron armor is too much. Honestly I've always felt Diamond was more of something that needed to be earned. Most people just toss iron on and go die in the mob arena because there's so much of it.

When my friend started he headed out into the wild to get supplies and was PVP'd by someone who said that had he had better armor, they would have left him alone.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. I vote on a Roman theme. They should wait for quartz for making pillars and stuff.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Online survey instead of in-game survey?

Its to force them to read the Empire Guide :p
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. Make the maze longer and provide reasons to why the answers are incorrect.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. But wouldn't that make it more boring?
    PandasEatRamen and Equinox_Boss like this.
  13. Not if you put sparkles.
    Lasluin and Equinox_Boss like this.
  14. Make it colored. Then it becomes AWESOME.
    Lasluin and adsingh like this.
  15. :3
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  16. I find leather armor as good armor when you want a challenge surviving. At night, I like to go with a leather chest and stone sword and go all: Come at me bro!
    Lasluin and Equinox_Boss like this.
  17. The weird thing about the argument he was referring to was that in the beginning, there was nothing that the staff could do besides suggest /ignore :/ Eventually thought, the troublemaker got kicked, then a 20 min temp ban, then a 3 day temp ban. But, how does a moderator deal with a fragile elderly woman?:rolleyes:
    JackBiggin and RainbowChin like this.
  18. I'm guessing I'm one of the few who actually likes the tutorial just the way it lol.

-I don't see why some people keep saying that the tutorial is either too long or too boring.
    I find it quite fun :) I have gone through it twice now as a new player and multiple times on this account just for fun.

-Also, there is the point that some might make that the new aspects of EMC aren't covered in the tutorial.
    While I do think that these should be included, I also do not think that we should give too much away.
    For example, we could have a question about the entity limiter, with a note saying "answer only found in the Empire Guide, please read it all" or something like that.
    Or maybe even "in the forums, please use the search function to find the relevant thread", thus encouraging them to make use of the search box in the future. Which currently, in my opinion, is not uses enough nowadays. Many people's problems or questions on the forums could easily be solved by a little bit of searching.

I have a feeling you would still pay to skip it lol
    Lasluin likes this.
  19. haven't stopped laughing yet lol
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  20. IamSaj, HylianNinja, Lasluin and 3 others like this.