Language

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Xinn, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You can never put a clear rule of speech. Its impossible. Its been attempted by many communities, governments, societies, to try to make things like speech related rules 'clear cut'. But the ability to walk into a situation and make a 'judgement' on if it was completely inappropriate, gives us, as moderators, a chance to apply our own thoughts. We are not perfect, none of us has ever stated such. But if it were as easy as saying 'Dont say the following words ever: [list of words]' we could just make a bot that kicks people when they say them. But thats not really fair. Sometimes you just get upset, sometimes accidents happen when you are talking to friends via PM's and using a language and code of ethics that is acceptable between them, but let one message slip. No, we as PEOPLE will never be able to apply the EXACT same punishment every time. Even the same moderator. I may tempban someone for saying 'F***' their first time, but then give another person a warning. Not because I like Person B more than A. But because maybe the sitiuation was different. Maybe Person A was using it as an insult. Maybe Person B pressed enter on accident on just a death rage, and did not even mean to send it.

There are things we can make clear cut (Cheating being a good example). But limits on speech, that will never happen. We give our players the benefit of the doubt. I do not want to think that every player who types a swear word meant for it to be offensive/insulting/crude. I want it to be an accident everytime. But its not. And infractions are dealt with (enforced) after proper analysis of the situation.

Police are the same way. While there are some things that are clear cut (i.e. Murder), there are things that can be interpreted, that are 'vague' in nature. Like reckless driving. At a point that driving becomes reckless is dictated by the observation of the patrolling individual, except for things like speeding where in certain limits breaches speeding and enter reckless driving.
  2. The first part is false, whereas communities do have set rules of what is acceptable speech and what is not. EMC is more akin to a business than it is a government, and moderators are more akin to employees than they are police. Certain rights are given up when accepting terms of use and services in order to enjoy a game such as this. Furthermore, any inappropriate language should be termed unacceptable. Typing is not an error, it is a calculated, controlled reaction. One does not type something on accident. They do so with full knowledge of what they are doing. Perhaps they are more used to a community that does not cut down on such language, but that does not excuse the fact that they are using it. Typing is the same as speaking: What has been said cannot be taken back, and you should not speak before you think.

The community itself does a fair job of policing foul language, perhaps even more than the moderators, which is why this rule has not come under such attack before. They will remind the players that swearing is not allowed (although this is still not the rule) and ask them to stop, then report them if they do not. In this way you are leaving the moderating and judgment of what is punishable up to the Community as well, since moderators react to what is reported to them by the community. You are also confusing words used offensively with words used as an expression of stress or unhappiness.

The F-word, used to demonstrate stress or frustration is much different than the F-word used to show anger or insult. Concidentally, I have experience here as I used the F-word to demonstrate a point and was punished for it even though it was pointed at nobody and not said in anger. So no, judgment in that case is wrong, and judgment can also be slanted according to personal desires.

The point is not that some people swear in a way that should not be punished. The point is that some people are wrongfully punished, while some people who should be punished are not because of a lack of clear description in the rule. It is teh difference between being allowed to use swear words and not being allowed to. Even if the rule was "Excessively Offensive Language" it would be much different.
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  3. I use WTF to say:

Wait They'res Fudge?

I usually Use it when I see my sister eating Fudge
  4. You should just SEE the movie Rango. So many wordy dirds. I went to see it with my baby cousin and my uncle once, and we had to cover his ears! =P
  5. If they done what you think they should always do, you wouldnt be here right now. They would have taken care of you relatively quickly. And bologna you dont swear in the forums. I have seen it, and many others have too, in this thread (hell, look at the name of it now) :
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/five-ideas-to-help-the-servers-locked-too-much-hostility.10718/
    So, be thankful they understand that people sometimes have tempers, and that people make mistakes. That is exactly what has kept you able to stay here.
    Must i also remind you (and everyone else) of your rudeness to the community? I think these comments would have sent the banhammer your way, if we had robots as staff.
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/emc-financial-situation.13036/#post-211307
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/emc-financial-situation.13036/#post-211328
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/emc-financial-situation.13036/#post-211330
    Oh and dont forget this one!
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/emc-financial-situation.13036/page-2#post-211340
    Once again, be thankful that the moderators dont act like you think they should.
    mba2012 likes this.
  6. before i read this thread, im gonna say this : i can confirm, justin and ICC have both said that the words " damn " and " hell " are allowed. PG-13 words s how they explained it. but it depends of how you use them.

this was when MileHi got on smp1. for those who remember.
    mba2012 likes this.
  7. Try Googling the seven words you can't say on TV. It is on the list.

"I know it when I see it" - Exerpt from a statement made by Justice Potter Stewart regarding obscenity.
  8. Despite your blatant, unwarranted attack on me, I shall reply like you have some semblance of intelligence in this post.

In every post you have linked to (of which all started peacefully before the community became involved) I was attacked first, without provocation. I dont have as much time on my hands as you to dredge up old topics, so I can't link to anything you may have done in the past.

Your post contains some grammar errors, but I assume you are trying to say that I have broken some rules in some way? Which is not the case. Not one of those posts contains Excessively Foul Language, or a single curse word. I'm not sure which rule you think they break, so I suggest you read what you link first.

Given the information i supplied above, that none of those links break any rules, your post is rendered non-sensical. Please try again.
  9. I think the rule you're breaking here, as well as the violations in the other thread, is #4. I suggest you stop.
    4. Thou Shalt Not Be Rude

Be polite and respectful to others in the game and in the chat, and don’t harass or insult anybody, for any reason. If someone asks you to leave their lot or to stop doing something that is affecting them in some way, respect them and do as they ask.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  10. That rule applies to in game, and even supplies an example of being on their lot.
  11. This rule, as do all, applies to all of EMC.
    mba2012 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  12. I agree with Margaritte - also, this is probably why someone may do something bad once, get reported and kicked and then do it again and not get kicked when reported... Because there's always different mods. :)
  13. A thread lock might be good idea...
  14. From what I can tell...there has been no "abuse" here...just sliding. If you break any of the rules, you're likely to get a warning if there's a mod nearby. If you get "stopped" for it, you might get a warning or you might get a bit more. If you get a warning, be happy you slid by.

Think of cops. Some will stop you for speeding and give you a ticket, others will let you slide with a warning. Either way, you probably deserved a ticket, but didn't get one in one case, and should be thankful.
    kevdudeman, mba2012 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  15. you forgot to quote my post :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.