Just want to hear your opinions on Brexit

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BanditLM, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Wasn't there a spike in Google searches after the results came in of what leaving meant?
  2. I just hope ww3 doesn't happen now.
  3. There was a spike in "what is the EU?"

Apparently people didn't know what the EU was until the day they actually voted.
    ShelLuser, 607 and Sgt_Pepper4 like this.
  4. Don't worry the UK is already to irrelevant to cause it.
    Dektirok likes this.
  5. Yeah, a great power that has shaped history and maintains a strong global presence with overseas territories in every continent and an alliance with 53 other countries largely based on them being our loyal descendants, as well as being allied to the US, and is the world's financial and cultural hot spot is totally irrelevant.

Somehow I don't think your claim holds truth.
    ShelLuser, 607 and FDNY21 like this.
  6. Well I mean the last 2 world wars started in Europe cause countries couldn't get along. Now a brexit threatens the union trying to keep everyone from not getting along. It's a bit worrying from a peace perspective. Maybe since UK wasn't fully committed others wont follow. I hope so.
  7. Makes a bit of a mess if EU disintegrates anyway. Instead of dealing with one EU and one currency, you got a bunch of currencies.
  8. If it makes you feel better I was literally just insulting the UK, obviously and nuclear power could do it not even taking into consideration any other factors.
    SirTah likes this.
  9. More to do with expansionism than being unable to get along.

World War I was started because Germany and the UK hated eachother in the same way as the USA and Soviet Union. The UK then formed the triple entente with the Russian Empire and France. Germany tried to test the strength of the alliance. Austria then tried to annex Serbia, which Germany was forced into backing, and the triple entente was forced to intervene.

World War II was started because Germany tried to acquire Lebensraum and wanted revenge on the winners of the first world war, and the UK and France signed a protection pact over Poland. We did try to let Germany do what it wanted in the name of peace, but what happened next is pretty known to everyone I think.
    Insulting us is okay. We do it a lot ourselves.

It looked like a political claim to me though lol. I'm tired. Leave me alone lul.
    TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  10. There are 3 currencies in the EU
    The euro, the pound sterling and the Danish Krone .
    Correct me if I am wrong
    CloverOcean likes this.
  11. Bulgaria still use the Lev, but some places accept Euros.
  12. Hungaria uses the Hungarian forint
    Croatia uses the Croatian kuna
    Poland uses Polish zloty
    Romania uses the Romainian leu
    The Czech republic has the Czech koruna
    Sweden has the Swedish krona

:) (this is excluding the ones already mentioned, most of these I already knew, but I googled the English names)
  13. I wondered if people were seeing the news. It appears like the UK is falling apart over this vote. Got to admit I'm a little astounded. Nothing has even happened yet and it's like it's the end of the world. Brits are scrambling to get a revote. Not sure why they would do that. Did some people stay home thinking it was a slam dunk and now they regret it. Should've voted then. I'm sure after the election this fall in the US many will want a revote too but a vote is a vote. Other things too. The PM is gonna resign over it. Didn't a bunch of MPs resign. And from what I heard there a bunch of racist things going on. Is this a bit of overreaction? Can the UK not make it without being in the EU?
    TuckerAmbr and ShelLuser like this.
  14. The fact that the campaign that won was entirely lies is the slightest bit worrying
    SirTah likes this.
  15. Labour MPs resigned because they don't like Jeremy Corbyn. They were New Labourites, who aren't welcome there anymore, so good riddance. Go make your own party.
    People want a revote because Farage and Boris Johnson basically said "we lied about the £305 million". Furthermore leave is now saying "we can't stop immigration like we said we could, we've known this all along but whatever, we had to get votes somehow". A majority of the 17 million people voted leave based on stopping EU immigration, and now it's been revealed that won't happen.
    A lot of the polling stations got flooded too, so some people couldn't vote due to the flooding whether it was because of the polling station or not.
    The vote was basically 50/50. Of course it's going to cause a split. Besides the vote was won by people who will likely be dead by the time we actually do leave.
    Scotland is demanding another referendum to leave the UK, and I can't see them not getting it. It's difficult to tell whether they'd vote to secede or not, but seeing as their last vote to stay in was based on us staying in the EU, I think they'd leave.
    London benefits by being in the EU, and they basically voted 80% to stay. London wants independence. It's... weird. They don't want to be in the UK as they feel their money is being used to benefit the rest of the UK, but the rest of the UK thinks our money benefits them. I say let them have the independence.
    Ireland also wants Northern Ireland back. Nothing new here besides them having an actual reason now and Northern Ireland kind of becoming anti-union over the last few days (anti-union meaning against the UK, they're pro-EU lol).
    Spain wants shared ownership over Gibraltar with us, for obvious reasons. Gibraltar is also pro-EU, again for obvious reasons, so I say let them have it.

I think by the time we leave the EU we'll just be 'England' or 'England and Wales'.
    ShelLuser, TomvanWijnen and SirTah like this.
  16. The vote isn't actually legally binding AFAIK, so if things do get bad enough, they can actually ignore the result and stay in.

However the repercussions of doing that won't be great.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. Referendums don't matter. We could have just left if we really wanted to, and we can ignore this referendum result as long as the government want to. It's why the Liberal Democrats are campaigning to scrap the Brexit. Same with Scotland. Nicola Sturgeon could literally just say Scotland is independent and they kind of are.
    607 likes this.
  18. I didn't notice this bit in my first reply. I can confirm this. People are verbally abusing the EU migrants and telling them to leave. I've been subjected to it a little tiny bit myself, but It's mostly in jest.
  19. Warning: I'm honestly trying to put bias aside where needed but keep in mind: this post probably contains major bias.

So many players asked me in-game to elaborate about my anti-EU opinion. Only problem was that the past weeks I'm really using EMC as an escape outlet (read: playing after some very long working hours) and the last I'm looking for then is political debates. And now that the weekend is closing upon us there's a new hindrance ;) I swear it's only orange juice :D

Ok, all pun aside..

The underlying reason why I'm against the EU is because there's nothing extra which the EU is already giving us. That is: not for the common citizens. Nothing apart from not having to waive with your passport or identity card as soon as you reach the border of the country you live in.

I can't help notice that a large majority of people who are in favor of Europe are often younger. And that's where the venom is at in my opinion. If you're around 16 - 22 then yeah, with all due respect, but you haven't lived the period without the EU in its current form (so: under the EEG) and so I cannot help wonder if you're basing your opinion on what the media or people agreeing with you have been telling you instead on actual facts.

The fact is that I think you had to live it before you can form an opinion on it. Or at least try to base your opinion on what actually happened around the 80's / 90's instead of what the media is telling you about it right now.

Are you happy with an education facility which has been build near you? That is a very legit reason to be happy, but trust me when I say that Europe doesn't hold a patent on doing that. The Dutch city of Wageningen is a city which has a very well known university and it's more or less in the middle of no-where. We're even (much) smaller than our neighboring town Ede and still we got the university.

Wake up call: this was already the case loooong before the EU in its current form happened. Because this all started around 1904. So for you youngsters: approx. 80 years before the whole EU actually happened. 80 years in which a whole wars was once fought out.

It's not as if we need the EU to make these things happen; all we need is an active government. And in my opinion that is exactly the key problem with the EU and why I'm so opposed to it: they don't do anything which might actually help us.

Sure, I agree: sometimes they provide subsidies which can fund projects. But is that really helping, or is that merely done to keep us happy?

Lets talk gasoline. Lets talk taxation on gasoline. Why in the world isn't there a single European taxation on gasoline yet? We have one currency, we have European rules and yet I can save dramatically if I hop over to Germany and fill up my motorcycle there. Heck, forget gasoline: if we hop over there then we can also get much cheaper bread, beer, vegetables, etc. No: not Brand "Well known" vs. Brand "X"; the same brand but bought in a different country.

Keyword: taxation.

Yet that has never been addressed in Europe so far, and for good reasons: because if they did then they'd be judging the revenue of individual governments. And if they did that... Then I truly think there would be hell to pay. Figure of speech: touch a politicians wallet and you're in some serious trouble.

Instead we get tons of other rules dumped on us. The curve of a banana for example is decreed under European ruling (I kid you not, I wish that I was). But something which could really benefit us all, like taxes, is carefully left untouched.

Which brings me to another area: benefits.

It's awesome that you're allowed to work all across Europe and get to visit and live in other places. But is that really benefiting you? Wouldn't it be fair to say that this mostly benefits the company you're working for?

Confused?

Look at a random EMC shop which buys and sells products (this is why I love EMC so much, honest): they buy less and sell higher. You might now think: "Sure! They're well known so they can do this. They attract more customers".

Now back to Europe: as an individual you may provide your services and you won't be noticed. But a bigger company, which is already better known, might. So they hire you. Wake up call: they're paying you much less than what they charge those customers.

I'm not yelling foul play here mind you, this is exactly how the economy is supposed to work.

But now we are reaching a problem. Remember those different taxations I told you about earlier?

Citizens from European countries which get charged a lot less on taxes can now easily work in other European countries, make plenty of money - as deemed under the laws regarding minimum wage of said country - while their earnings are worth a whole lot more in their (European) country of origin.

While 'Europeans' who happen to live in "expensive countries" can basically kiss any off shore options goodbye because when equality comes to play then companies are in favor of reducing costs (less costs = more profit).

This is a problem which has been predicted, which people saw becoming real and is now ongoing and has never been addressed by the European parliament so far.

So about that educational facility I mentioned at the beginning of my post... Is that really a benefit or a well calculated investment?

And before you go: "we all know theres stuff to improve" I implore you to carefully look at how long this has been going on so far. They've had a lot of opportunities already to make this work but none of those were used.

Europe can work, but not in its current form where one European is "a bit more special" than the other.
    TotoStyle and mba2012 like this.
  20. I was honestly pro-EU mostly for stability. A vote to remain in the EU was a vote to remain stable. I knew the fallout of a leave vote would be bad, but not this bad.

Our Prime Minister has now resigned, and will most likely be replaced un-democratically due to the fixed terms act. The Labour Party is now divided against their own leader who refuses to resign as he was voted in by the public and not them - they've harmed their credibility, and many now believe they're unelectable as the option if Jeremy goes is bad but voting for him is also bad. Labour becoming the third largest party paves the way for either the Liberal Democrats or UKIP to give rise - UKIP are a bunch of far-right racist idiots, but the leave vote has bolstered their credibility and the Liberal Democrats have already damaged their credibility immensely. English nationalism and a general hate for Europeans already existed, but I have now been subjected to a lot of "we voted leave, get out" purely due to my Spanish and Irish heritage, as well as having relatives living in Spain and Greece and *possibly* Germany. I even got told to leave the country when the campaigning was going on just because I let slip I was talking to a girl from Germany and I really liked talking to her, and that means 'you hate your country'. It's not even funny any more. And hell, look at the economy - sure, it's fixing itself faster than I thought it would, but it's still bad.

And then there's the matter of Scottish secession and Irish reunification. I've said it before: this vote is what killed the UK, which is actually similar to the EU in many ways, especially in the fact it's not a country but as the name implies, a union (the name also implies a functioning and non-genocidal union, although it most certainly is non-functioning and genocidal). The English are doing petty nationalist dominance displays, Scotland want another referendum and it almost certainly will be a leave vote, and Northern Ireland are quickly beginning to like the look of a reunified Ireland - which is insane, considering the reason they're divided is because of a religious and ethnic conflict. They're willing to set aside centuries of killing eachother based on their heritage and religious beliefs just because the UK left a political union.

And on the EU funding note - our current government would never give places that regeneration or education funding the EU did. They are obsessed with budget cuts and austerity and I don't think a British government would ever be able to afford what the EU was giving us anyway.

The leave vote was never supposed to win anyway. It was supposed to be a protest vote. The leave side never planned for what would happen after we left, because they didn't want it to happen. It was supposed to inspire change in the EU. A lot of people voted to leave the EU as a protest vote, but changed their minds the next day because they didn't actually want to love - the votes were supposed to be neck and neck with remain in a slight lead, but leave having a significant share so the EU would realise "right, we need to do something about discontent with us and slow down integration". Boris Johnson was pro-remain but campaigned to leave just so he could be Prime Minister. He turned the country into his pawn.

Leaving the EU isn't a bad thing. The EU is disfunctioning, discriminative, and needs to learn a thing or two on how Europe should look and work from its population. A country can leave if it wants to - that country to leave was not the UK. We literally cannot survive without it, and the effects of leaving are already showing their face and we won't even enact Article 50 until around the beginning of 2017 (also hoping this is the case as it gives me extra time to get enough money by 2019 to get off this sinking ship of an island).