Just want to hear your opinions on Brexit

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BanditLM, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Don't you think that's just a wee bit hyperbolic? I'm sure the ancestors of the proud nation which beat back truly existential threats such as the Nazis, Napoleon, and the Spanish Armada would say differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkTw3_PmKtc
    mba2012 likes this.
  2. I don't think that's hyperbolic. The UK in its current form doesn't have a global empire to rely on and losing Scotland would be the end of the UK - without it, we'll just go back to being 'England and Wales', or maybe 'England, Wales and Northern Ireland'. Sure, I guess we could keep the 'United Kingdom' part, but it isn't really the same country.

The Nazis were beat back with the help of the British Empire, the dominions, the United States, Norway, the French and the Poles, and so many more. The country was going bankrupt at this time because we couldn't sustain the Empire. Our last act as a superpower was defending a business interest with Israel and France and those countries couldn't even do that when the US threatened to cut off our money supply.
    No comment on Napoleon.
    The Spanish Armada wasn't the UK, that was England with the help of the Netherlands.
  3. If the UK isn't strong enough to survive without what you admit is a deeply flawed EU providing it artificial stability then perhaps you should go the route of regional self-determination.
    mba2012 likes this.
  4. The UK in a nutshell:

In other news, Boris Johnson has confirmed he won't be standing for PM/Conservative leader. Finally, good news! Now we just need Michael Gove and Theresa May to not win. I don't like Crabb either but he's the only non-radical option.
    TomvanWijnen and SirTah like this.