is emc dead or dying

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by datheOne, Apr 30, 2018.

?

is emc dying or is it dead

is dead 5 vote(s) 6.4%
dying 15 vote(s) 19.2%
still alive 46 vote(s) 59.0%
depends 7 vote(s) 9.0%
not sure 0 vote(s) 0.0%
other 5 vote(s) 6.4%
  1. Yes. It is. Since I am literally the oldest active member (older than even Aikar), I can agree it is dying. MOST of this is due to MC's decline in general however. But not all of it.
    We3_MPO and Starzival like this.
  2. Decreasing population and new player count isn't dying. New content is being produced, there is an EXTREMELY strong core population who is very active, and there are still new players coming in. Just because minecraft as a whole is less popular, and thus less people play on it regardless of the server or whatever, doesn't mean that each individual server is dying. I'm sure even massive servers like Hypixel are seeing decreases in population and new players per day, but you wouldn't consider them dying, would you? Like us, they make new content and have a strong playerbase.
    Nickblockmaster, 607, We3_MPO and 2 others like this.

3. But rises again, harder and stronger.
    white_trash_dna and _Devuu__ like this.
  4. I personally refuse to believe that EMC or Minecraft in general is dead or dying. I feel that it is very much alive. Maybe that's just me being stubborn but I love both the game and the server.
  5. Sorry for 'bumping' or 'reviving' an older thread, one which is even somewhat critical, but I hope you can understand that I'm often also a little passionate with these threads. For me the Empire is my de-facto Minecraft home, the server I always come back to. And Minecraft is one of the very few games I tend to play a lot.

I'll be honest with you lot: I waited my time because I knew it would happen. Also: I wouldn't have posted if this happened the next month.

To me the Empire would be truly dying if they were to try and "shoo away" threads like these. Hey; I honestly don't enjoy threads like these. But I still think it's awesome that players are allowed to express these critical questions; because that shows you honesty. EMC doesn't back down when the going gets tough.

So now... Is EMC dying? Well....

Just an ordinary Sunday evening on SMP2. As you can see, the only 2 staff members online at this time are on SMP1 and this server is still exploding.

I made this screenshot some time ago today. Right now (now now, time of writing) we got 25 (!) players on SMP2, 18 on SMP1 and less on SMP4 and SMP9.

You do the math :)
  6. MC is dying. The game has been around for quite a long time. However, since EMC has such a strong community that even veteran players come back to, EMC will continue striving forward. :)
  7. As others have said before me, EMC is dying, but it is not dead yet, and most (but probably not all) of this decline is due to a general downward trend of Minecraft's popularity. However, 1.13 (a long highly wanted update) is coming, and Summer is back around, so we may see a temporary spike in activity soon (even if only moderately soon). Additionally, EMC has probably fared better in Minecraft's downward trend than many other servers (I'm not sure, but as nice and diverse in many senses of both words as EMC is, it's a pretty safe bet). Even I have struggled (to an extent) to enjoy EMC, but this is mainly because I have trouble attempting to recruit more active members to expand the MPO's urban areas and restore its government/order/democracy, and if causes like this are common reasons to quit, then that creates a very bad chain reaction that will definitely not end well.
    ForeverMaster and Windylava like this.
  8. No, you're not. You're member 351. ConductorConduit's member 309. Eclipsys is member 190.
    TomvanWijnen and We3_MPO like this.
  9. no no emc its dying (including mc)
  10. with all the "take 4 months to upgrade the server I'm done with it
  11. See my in game days. I joined BEFORE I joined the forums.
    607 likes this.
  12. *ahem*

No you're not. Creation of the forums is our point 0, the days before the forums were made, we don't count towards max days on EMC played ;D

And to stick with the thread. EMC will follow the overarching game user decline trend (being MC's diminishing player amounts). But EMCs community is still going strong. We have an active playerbase both in-game and on the forums.

Stick around, you'll see.
    Moonglum_, TomvanWijnen, 607 and 3 others like this.
  13. All quite fascinating. Seems I keep seeing these threads pop up every now and then.. til things get busy usually. Kinda curious how long this subject has been an area of concern and when it was first mentioned....

I do know it goes back at least to 2014... noq 4 years ago. Based on that.. i guess i never should have joined in the first place.

But here I be... have still enjoyed 2 years so far... seems to be more staff and mods than ever... guess i will just hang around til i cant get connected anymore.

Course... i do make my world download so i will be able to keep on going after that anyway.

From my experience one may stop playing a game 10 or 20 years... then if it was really good... you may get drawn back to it eventually. Seems a lot of people have enjoyed mc for several years. I can see a whole new generation getting hooked still.

Edit: thought i would add.. why i think i like emc. It is cheap entertainment. Way cheaper than a movie or outing. I can just pop on when i have some free time vs watching tv.. which i dont enjoy much anygow... kinda like any other hobby. I may read... excercise.. or minecraft. Quite certain I will never actually give it up for a long time.. if ever
    Moonglum_, 607, We3_MPO and 2 others like this.
  14. is it me or this thread won't die
    We3_MPO likes this.
  15. Hahahahahaha, thanks for that. :D
    We3_MPO likes this.
  16. It's Minecraft. Minecraft has been on the decline for many years, and now it feels more evident than it did then. It's no surprise why you may think that about EMC.

SMP6 is quite empty, compared to this time last year. While there are a lot of factors why that is the case, you cannot exclude the idea that people are just tired of Minecraft, or that it lost it's "hype" many years ago, whatever that was...
    We3_MPO likes this.
  17. Yeah, I really need to restore activity, order, and democracy to the MPO (which is on SMP6)...
  18. I feel like outposts in general aren't popular anymore. I wouldn't know why, but they seem to be a thing of the past. Like role-playing threads on the forum. Both used to be quite an important part of EMC, and now you don't ever see anything of them.
  19. It seems so, but I was hoping if people realized how developed, huge, and diverse the MPO is, they would think otherwise. Apparently I was wrong... :(
    607 likes this.