Inspiring Quotes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The_Mancub, Nov 26, 2016.

?

What do you think about this?

I like it 40 vote(s) 90.9%
Mixed 2 vote(s) 4.5%
I dont like it 2 vote(s) 4.5%
  1. For peace, we first must find respect, for respect we first must find understanding and to find understanding, we must have honor and forgiveness. Forgiveness for any of those who are willing to learn from past mistakes. On the day that there is this forgiveness among your men, when your weapons become tools not for warfare, but justice, then, you too shall have peace among yourselves.
    The_Mancub and _Devil__ like this.
  2. "Variety is the spice of life." - Father of MeadMaker
    SkareCboi likes this.
  3. Though tomorrow is never clear, it can be shaped by today. - Me, Tower...Unless someone said it before and I'm only recalling it.
    _Devil__ likes this.
  4. "My name is The_Mancub but you can call me Mancub" -The_Mancub, but you can call him Mancub
    Daynsyy, The_Mancub and AhsokaTower like this.
  5. 'You can't blow a 25-Point lead, then lose the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs' -Cleveland Browns.
    The_Mancub and Equinox_Boss like this.
  6. Trueeee
    ThaKloned likes this.
  7. "Is writing a charity check once a year at christmas enough to define you as a generous person when you walk past a homeless man every day and never so much as pay him a smile?" ~Melody Gardot

"I still surrender to troubles unknown no use pretending all the troubles ain't my own
    But what I'm certain, what is enough is just to remember that once, once I was loved" ~Melody Gardot

"Don't care bout' what you do
    Don't care bout' what you done
    Don't care bout' who you knew
    Don't make you annyone'' ~Melody Gardot (If only Trump whould understand...)

This are quotes from a music album I bought a few days ago. The currency of men
    _Devil__ and The_Mancub like this.
  8. There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
    -Edith Wharton
    _Devil__ likes this.
  9. "Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards"
    -Shane Patton US Navy SEAL (My favourite quote)

"Only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go"
    -TS Elliot
  10. That doesn't make sense to me. I think I could think of dozens of counter-examples.
    For a start, how about taking medication?
  11. "Every man is guilty of the good he did not do." - Voltaire
    _Devil__ and Daynsyy like this.
  12. When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.
    -Wilma Rudolph
    _Devil__ likes this.
  13. I love Patton's quote too, but sadly it is oft misinterpreted. But quoting Elliot?? Thank you! I'm surprised to not see more Elliot and Tolstoy here.

I feel you've made the typical observation here. Most people see Patton's quote, and instantly assume he means everything is worth overdoing. But the beginning part of the sentence quantifies what he really means. "Anything WORTH doing..." lends itself to the treasures of life, and I'm fairly certain most people wouldn't categorize medicine as worth doing (at best medicine is need doing for those who have to take it). When you ask if something is worth doing in context to ideas like love, dreaming, laughing or learning then I don't feel that there is any discrepancy as to overindulgence being okay.

Again, Thoreau is one of my favorites, as will be evident when I post my favorites :)

1 Cor 13 is probably my favorite verse from the Bible. That being said, I feel that the verse in it's entirety is powerful, and carries so much more value and context. It isn't just about love, it's about growing and maturing, about knowing that something greater is coming and that we must give in to the greater things in life when they occur or our lives are far colder. I'm going to paste the whole verse, just in case there's someone who hasn't seen it yet. If there is anyone who isn't spiritual, please feel free to look at it from a humanist point of view if nothing else than to appreciate the sentiment.

I miss Kurt. His music was an aphrodisiac when I was a teenager. The day he died was disastrous for my friends and I.

All those replies out of the way, I'd like to share a few now.

1. "Life is not about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself" -unknown (but I believe it may be Thoreau. It is sometimes falsely attributed to George Bernard Shaw)
    2. "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will land among the stars." -Les Brown
    3. "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me" - Erma Bombeck
    4. "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow, what a ride!" - Author unknown
    5. "Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss. But every once in a while, you find someone who’s iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare." -Wendelin Van Draanen
    6. "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -Marianne Williamson, A Return To Love
    7. "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." -Leo Tolstoy
    8. I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.” -Sylvia Plath
    9. and last but not least, probably my favorite by T.S.Elliot... “Do I dare / Disturb the universe?”
      —T. S. Eliot, “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”
    10. "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi
    11. "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway
    12. "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.", also Ernest Hemingway
    *I almost forgot the last three, but I added them :)Enjoy! This thread is a beautiful idea, and I've loved reading all the quotes and sharing in the rare moment of beauty that things like this bring.*

*edited again to remove external links*
  14. "But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" - Mark Twain
    MrWhosCoopz and _Devil__ like this.
  15. “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

-Bruce Lee
  16. We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
    -William Shakespeare
    _Devil__ likes this.
  17. When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.
    -Wilma Rudolph
    _Devil__ likes this.
  18. I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'
    -Muhammad Ali
    _Devil__ likes this.
  19. "Know thy self" - sign in latin in the movie The Matrix
    The_Mancub and _Devil__ like this.
  20. - Right and wrong don’t exist, except as a premise of our imagination” –Zrugite 03,14,2017
    _Devil__ likes this.