[IMPORTANT] Upcoming Derelict Timer Changes

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Well sometimes I forget stuff like that. Especially if I am not near my computer for a while. I can however go onto my cell and vote if im not gonna be near it for a while. Like out of town etc.

Also I had a game in the past (on a server) that had something similar where you had to log in every 30 days otherwise you lose everything. I had the most money on the server (into the billions), along with lots of weapons etc. But I got burnt out on the game and took a break. I would log in from time to time to keep all my money and stuff but eventually it got to the point where I forgot and lost it all. I never came back after that, since I lost out on a lot of progress and I don't like losing stuff I worked hard for.

I put a lot of work into my res's and I still have more work to be done. However, like the previous game I got burnt out playing on here for a long time especially during quite a few months where I had to wait to claim a res (long story). And been busy with work stuff so I haven't exactly had the time to come on and play whenever. However, being able to go to a website and vote on some sites at least once a day doesn't take long and I can do it from anywhere with my cell handy.

Currently there is only one place I can log into the game at which is the computer im on now which is a desktop I don't carry around with me.
  2. So if someone were to vote every day but not log in, they'd be safe too?
  3. Yes.
    Lachlan61 likes this.
  4. Fair changes I'd say, and long awaited. Thanks Krysyy. :)
  5. Can you please at least make voting derilict more than 7 days, like maybe 10 or 8 ?

Brand New players will get 10, but veterans that can not log on very often, get just 7 days.
    What if they can only vote once a week, and miss it by a few hours ?

Even if you do 10 days for voting, that is still a major reduction from 30 days, so staff should still be happy that many more veteran reses that are mainly kept by voting will soon be deleted.
    That is the goal, to delete reses that are kept alive mainly from voting, so mission still accomplished.
    Thank you.
    LadBlo, jkjkjk182 and Pab10S like this.
  6. should be 8 days that should make sure that older players wont miss the time
  7. If you can't log on very often, just make sure to log in-game. Your derelict timer will then be set to 30 days. This is to cut back on those players that never log in and vote or have someone vote for them once a month. It's not nearly enough effort for the protection they are receiving.

We discussed both 7 days and 10 days. We decided on 7 because we feel it is adequate amount of effort for someone that never logs in-game to keep their residences. 4 times a month is not difficult.
    ScrOcraft likes this.
  8. I think this is quite a good change. Thanks, Krysyy! :D
  9. Nice! Thanks Krysyy! :D
  10. I think it's a very fair and thought out change; players who actually play are longer protection than those who only vote. Can't argue with that. I also think it's a somewhat bold move, I'm curious how this might affect EMC where vote's are concerned.

My assumption is that some players will simply keep on voting as if nothing happened because they're unaware of the change. Can't say I feel sorry for them because the least I'd expect is some connection with the community, at the very least be aware of changes like these.

Some might give up. Which is a shame but also simply part of the game. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but it is the truth; people come and go. It's a given. Sometimes the voting aspect only managed to postpone the inevitable. And I have to agree; the community is better off with active players than those who never show themselves and only vote.

Small example: that shop which has nice prices but is always out of stock? That frustration could likely be a 'voter'.

But as said: I am quite curious what might happen if a majority decides to simply log on and off. To be honest I think that's a likely scenario, especially because it fits the pattern perfectly: instead of voting every month you now simply log on every month (for 5 or so seconds). The main change would then be that EMC gets less votes but still has residences around which seem "vacant" (you know what I mean).

And that's why I think this is a bold move. A fair one, and I think a good one, but also a bold one. I'm curious what the effects will turn out to be.
  11. Fair changes :) Thanks krysyy
  12. Fixed.. :oops: ..But now I have vote more often to protect people's residences, as I cannot afford $400, let alone $100 for a dereliction protection voucher..
    ShelLuser likes this.
  13. The only people this affects is the ones who do not play EMC and only vote to keep their res.
    If you log in, you still get the 30 days, but those who don't even log in, now have to vote even more frequently.

The derelict script does a pause between each reset, and even if it didn't, the reset system now staggers chunk resetting and does it in a queue so it also won't lag spike the server even if it did 500 at once.

Also we will not be increasing it more than 7 days, as voting giving a derelict was meant to be a secondary measure to avoid having to ask for protection for vacations (as most people can vote on a phone / public PC's at hotels ETC)

If someone is not on vacation or some special life circumstance, there's not much excuse to not being able to login or at least vote once a week.

If someone has stopped playing EMC without intent to come back and is only voting to keep their res alive because they don't want to see it go, then they should at least put in more effort to help EMC.

We can't hold onto res's forever "just because they are legacy". Players need to make a decision if they are going to continue to play on EMC or not, and if they are just taking a small break, voting once a week is super trivial.

Plus, if you know you're going to be away for more than a week, just login to the server and get 30 days!

There's no way we're going to believe that voting once a week is impossible to do outside of vacations (and even then, it's usually still possible, just people don't want to be bothered... Though with the exception of minors that DON'T have a phone, I believe most of those vacations people are still browsing the net on their phone)

It's not a hard task, just vote or login if you want to keep the res, and if you have a month long vacation where you don't have internet access (minors, camping, MrSocks going on Appalachian Trail...) then simply PM SS/Krysyy for special protection.
  14. Perhaps the correct answer is to only vote for your own accounts and let those that do not put forth the effort to go derelict. Or have them log in to their account in-game at least once a month.
    FDNY21 and ShelLuser like this.
  15. Tbh, I am more upset at the push to get people to buy the most expensive singular item on the supporter page to counteract the changes in the policy.. :oops:
    dresden72 likes this.
  16. Well, I think that's a matter of interpretation. Personally I don't see it that way (and I can be quite the critic mind you).

It seems more likely to me that EMC wants to prevent the towns getting over flooded again (you know; the recent town expansion, Utopia with 0 free residences?) in combination with raising their vote amounts. Voting is both good for the server and the players who vote. So instead of 1 vote they now get 4 votes each month (assuming people keep on voting).

The mention of the permanent derelict voucher was, in my opinion, merely an issue of "covering all bases". It's simply another alternative which people have.

But I sincerely doubt that EMC is hoping that we now all buy those vouchers. If that were to happen we'd run into a whole new set of problems.
    bluebiscuit2007 and autumnrain26 like this.
  17. There is no push at all. I was listing all the ways that you can maintain non-derelict status for those that are worried about it. If I hadn't included the voucher, the information would have been incomplete. That voucher has long been available for those that do not want to put forth the effort and simply want their builds protected forever.
    ScrOcraft and PenguinDJ like this.
  18. But 100$ though :confused: