[IMPORTANT] Upcoming Derelict Timer Changes

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Pff, 10 days...
    That used to be the regular derelict timer for everyone back when I started playing here...
    krysyyjane9191 and PenguinDJ like this.
  2. Cool changes, Like them too. Thanks Empire.
  3. Yeah... So many people like to nostolgia about the old days, we could just put derelict back to 10-15 days for everyone!

Remember: Chat apps on Mobile Devices count as a login.
    You can even set up Events in your Email Provider / Mobile Device to remind you to vote/login to EMC.
    gunthro and ItsMeMatheus like this.
  4. Three questions:

1) Considering we have people of all ages on here playing now, including kids,
    what would happen if a player was grounded for more than 10 days by a super-strict parent and didn't have access to any of their electronic devices?
    They wouldn't be able to log in, nor would they be able to vote or ask SS for derelict protection during that time period, so if they were grounded -- even for something that wasn't their fault to begin with -- they'd lose their residences, too.

2) What if one person is grounded but living with a sibling that isn't, and both of them play EMC? Because I know such an instance where a brother and his sister live together, and the brother hogs all the voting sites for their IP so the sister can't vote for herself. So I've been voting for her, not just so she doesn't go derelict, but also because of the vote bonuses. Anyway, what if the sister was grounded for whatever reason? Would I still have to keep voting for her so she wouldn't go derelict, seeing how she can't vote because her brother always beats her to the voting process on every available site?

3) Finally, what if the player in question is not allowed to have a forum account by their parents? I know a case of someone (not saying who) that got upset one day because they wanted a forum account but their mother wouldn't let them have one. Would I have to vote for this person more often so they wouldn't lose their residence and couldn't get on? Keep in mind, not only is this person unable to vote because they're not allowed forum access, but they also can't send a private message to SS on the forums to ask for derelict protection. SS isn't always online in the servers, either, so for this person, it's a longshot.

I know I'm probably going too deep into this, but these are my 3 major concerns, especially because the cases of 2 and 3 are my friends (and are quite active on EMC). 1 could happen to any kid playing this game, so it kinda gives them the whole "don't make your parents upset at all or else you could lose all your residences" mentality. This mentality applies moreso for players who fall under the category of both 1 and 3, who won't have a single chance in the Nether to keep their residences. The more of these categories players fall under, the more chance they have of losing their residences and possibly wanting to quit outright.

As for me, I've decided I'm voting for my alt every Tuesday and Saturday, just to be safe. I don't want too many people knowing who my alt is, and I always keep my alt as a regular without an EMC account to further "hide" my alt's identity. Sometimes, I don't always log in as my alt, but now I'm going to have to log in a bit more often to prevent my alt from losing its residence on top of everything, just in case the person voting for me and I get into a big-enough argument to where the person voting for me decides not to anymore (which may or may not happen, but there's always that lingering fear of it). So again, on Tuesdays and Saturdays, I'll log in with my alt.

But yeah, best way to solve this for people who can't (or won't) vote: try to pick 2 days out of the week and stick with them. Make a schedule if you can, and remind yourself to vote/log in/whatever on both those days. Also, try to stay 100% out of trouble. If you get caught and get things taken from you, you'll lose more than your computer time and your fun, you'll lose everything you worked for and possibly your motivation to wanna stay on EMC.

This won't affect me much since I'm quite active, log in often, never get in trouble in real life, and usually buy premium memberships. But as for other people, I can't say the same. I'm not making it seem like I'm trying to complain, but sometimes things like this have to be considered, especially in cases where a player's real-life situation is serious enough to the point where they can't even access the forums or ask SS for protection because of the case they're in, and it may last longer than just a week in most cases.

That's my 2 PokéDollars. Take this as you will. I'm not trying to offend anyone; rather, defend those who might have a harder time.
  5. Easiest answer of all. Log in.
    gunthro likes this.
  6. The changes don't affect players who actually play in-game; logging in will still grant you 30 days of derelict protection. In the case of question #1, if the player actually plays the game, then they'll have almost (depending on exact timing) 30 days of derelict protection when they are grounded, so if they're grounded for 10 days like in your example, there's nothing to worry about - they'll still have up to 20 days of protection left. In the cases of questions #2 and #3, you're talking about players who already can't vote, and therefore already don't vote, so their derelict protection is/was/will be granted from logging in, which is unaffected by this change, meaning there's no difference to them from how it was before. If a player is grounded for more than 30 days, unable to log in, vote, or ask SS for extended protection, well, that may be a bad situation, but it's no different with these changes from how it would've been before.
    gunthro and PenguinDJ like this.
  7. In question 1, if they were grounded for 10 days I am pretty sure it was their fault and they deserved it. Maybe that will teach them to not do what got them grounded.
  8. >implying all parents know how to raise children and no single parent is overly strict or abusive
    >implying everything that happens to a kid is 100% that kid's fault in particular

Anyway, someone please bring this thread back on topic about the derelict policy if possible before I explode; closed-minded remarks like this about "good only parents" kinda tick me off. ^^;
    gunthro likes this.
  9. I suppose I see your point.
  10. what if your screen cracks and you have in repair for 2 weeks while having no access to laptop to post to staff about it
  11. You'll still have two more weeks before your residence goes derelict. Because you're 202 days old, you have 30 days of derelict protection.

But if something like that did happen and you know you're going to go derelict, there are other options. Do you (or your parents) have a phone you can use? Most public libraries have computers you could use. A friend could send the message for you.
    gunthro and ShelLuser like this.
  12. Cool :) Now I may get a residence near spawn
    FadedMartian likes this.
  13. How I keep weird accounts alive: I vote on every day of the month that ends with either a 5, or a 0. Because this is "kinda complicated", at first you'll check every day if it is or isn't the 25th (like today is). This will always work (except in the end of February, but if you want you could do it on days that end with a 2 or a 7 for example). :)

And for my alts I just vote every day :)
    FadedMartian likes this.
  14. So as long as I vote daily my res is okay ?
  15. Yes
  16. Thank you !
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  17. OK I've got to bring up ChrisFlareon's question #3 again. Will you (EMC team) in the near future support us NATing (NAT through routers) ? I play with my grandniece (yes, grand...I'm old) across the country and my wonderful husband votes all the time leaving me out in the cold.

BTW - Thanks for being a nice relaxing and stress reliever after a long day of work (coding)! Love your [additive] game.
  18. If you're referring to not being able to vote - there are ten (I think) sites to vote on, so you should be able to vote on a different one. :)
  19. The thing is, my husband is a slug and votes on all of them first :)

Empire doesn't support more than one IP? I understand why, so some do not create multiple characters. Oh well, he'll just not supper each day he votes :) Thanks for the help anyway.
    Dino2478 likes this.