How old are you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KatydidBuild, Feb 24, 2020.

?

What is your actual age (as of March 5, 2020) when this poll closes

Poll closed Mar 5, 2020.
14 or younger 3 vote(s) 3.4%
15 - 17 18 vote(s) 20.5%
18 - 19 15 vote(s) 17.0%
20 - 24 29 vote(s) 33.0%
25 - 30 10 vote(s) 11.4%
30 - 35 4 vote(s) 4.5%
36 - 40 0 vote(s) 0.0%
41 - 45 1 vote(s) 1.1%
46 - 54 6 vote(s) 6.8%
55 years + 2 vote(s) 2.3%
  1. I think that we have all had one of those days:
    A player come onto chat and starts talking. It quickly becomes apparent that they are young. Very young. And there is usually a lot of spamming of chat and maybe a little drama and we all roll our eyes from behind our computers and say "this kid....." At some point they decide to leave and try it out on another audience and we are relieved, "someone else can deal with this" we say to ourselves.

Other times, we may feel like the players talking in chat are much older than us. One of them has mentioned that they have kids and are grown-ups, with adult problems in life. Wow! Who knew?

So... How old are the players on EMC currently? I have decided to ask.

Since I don't think that staff can ask you, I am going to :) This is purely for information gathering - the results don't go anywhere and won't do anything except educate your fellow player about how we all communicate and get along with each other. It might help us get along and let us get to know each other better.

If you click on the poll, you will get these choices:
    What is your actual age (as of March 5, 2020) when the poll closes
    • under 14
    • 15-17
    • 18-19
    • 20-24
    • 25-30
    • 30-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-54
    • 55 year +

If you don't want to answer, please don't click on the poll.

Staff can participate. (we know staff must be over 18, but we still like them as players)
    If you have an alt and want to log them in to vote, please do so, just be honest about your age.
  2. I know it's early, but I look forward to seeing what the poll results end up being. :)
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  3. you can look at the people who clicked what on the survey and see the results now. also looking forward to the results
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  4. I don't understand this. :p

I expect the average age on the EmpireMinecraft forum to have increased by 7 years over the last 7 years. The people who are still here are 7 years older, and I don't think more of the people who joined young stayed than those that joined older. We've also fortunately got a lot of new members over the years, but I think that the great majority of them were above the average age when they joined. So maybe it has even increased by more than 7 years! Unfortunately, forums don't seem to be popular with most of my generation or younger. Discord is where it's at, it seems.
    benthebobjr and KatydidBuild like this.
  5. I'm removing the public visibility of results on the poll because of privacy policy reasons. (also why we don't display ages on profiles anymore)

Also, Staff don't have to be 18...
  6. Thanks for removing the public visibility of the poll, didn't realize that is what it did when I clicked it. :oops:
    and staff.... really? okay then.
    TIL how to make a poll on the forums :) and the staff thing
    MoreMoople, Lukas3226 and Krysyy like this.
  7. I got accepted to the build team at the first of october, 2017, and I was born at the start of the millenium, so let me be your proof :p
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  8. I thought that was only for people under 13. I figured that's why Katy used "14 or younger" for the first poll option.
    That's interesting! What did you think it did? Just show the results at all? It's curious that, while it is an additional click to make, most of the polls on EMC have the voters' names shared, sometimes even in cases where it seems inappropriate.
  9. I didn't want anyone to feel that they couldn't say they were under 14. It' s a common age range for the states (the US). To be honest, it doesn't really matter for this server. So I left it that way so that parents would be more comfortable with their kids making a choice in that section.

When i clicked the box for "publicly viewable results" I thought that it was making the results of the choices clicked public - like whether you chose to vote or not. So, I might suggest an extra sentence to explain that clickbox. I had no idea it was to show who voted what. That was against my poll's basis.

(So thanks for the removal Kryssy - hate for someone to think I did it on purpose. Worse, it was ignorance :confused: )
  10. I was 13 years old when I joined EMC, and I joined EMC almost eight years ago, so do the math to find out how old I am now. :)
  11. Joined emc on 14, and now I'm 15! i even had my birthday celebrated on emc! :)
    607, Tigerstar and KatydidBuild like this.
  12. I first logged into EMC when I was 11. I’d already turned 12 by the time I started using the forums.

17 when I was permanently banned from both on my main account. I was going to leave it there, buuuut...

I’m 20 in May. Still using these silly old forums - a lot less than I once did, maybe not for much longer, but I’m still here.

So... oops.
    607, Egeau, MoreMoople and 1 other person like this.
  13. I was just about to turn 10 when I first joined EMC. I joined around 12 Dec 2011. Turning 19 this year and still log on from time to time!

It is fun to be able to see my posts on the forums when I was 10. Being able to see progress when it comes to knowledge in language is fun! I can't believe people understood what I was trying to say, friends like Melk73 who I talked to back then. I'm sorry you had to endure that. LMAO.
    607, UltiPig, Pab10S and 1 other person like this.
  14. Agreed! Aren't you a native speaker, though?
    I coincidentally just came across one of my old threads. :) I was 14 though, not 10 (13 when I joined).

padde73 likes this.
  15. No, in fact, I am from Sweden! Swedish is my primary language!
    I would consider myself decent at English. I know atleast enough to get my point across fairly well.

I can barely read through my old posts without cringing. The worst part is that I thought I was good at english back then, that was not the case. :rofl: :lmao:
    UltiPig and 607 like this.
  16. Ah, right! I forgot about that.
    I personally did know I was still learning! I do think I learnt most of my early English at EMC (after learning the basics on Roblox) and from YouTube, as it always seemed like whatever I learnt at school was behind on my knowledge (except maybe for some grammar before I found EMC).
    padde73 and UltiPig like this.
  17. I joined EMC around 4 months after I turned 13, in april of 2015. I'll be both turning 5 on EMC and 18 IRL this year :)
  18. Ah, yes! I have always felt my knowledge in english has always been more advanced than what I was being taught in school, just like you.

Just recently, I started noticing some what of a resistance in english class. Older english such as Edgar Allan Poe's "Murders in the Rue Morgue" contained some words that I was unfamiliar with.
    KatydidBuild, 607 and UltiPig like this.
  19. Your English is excellent–I never would have guessed you weren't a native speaker.

But to your point, I have been speaking English my whole life, and you had better believe I cringe so hard I nearly fall out of my chair when I look at my old posts. The price of joining EMC while so young.
    UltiPig, 607, padde73 and 5 others like this.
  20. I agree, my posts back then were also... super cringe. I mean I was even going through my screenshots from pre-2014 (So before I turned 15 if I can even math right) the other day and I was like, "Did I really type those things in game chat?..." lol.
    607, KatydidBuild and _Susu_ like this.