[GRIP] - Supporting you when griefed

Discussion in 'Business Listings' started by ShelLuser, Aug 15, 2015.

1. bump.

Did an advertisement this evening, might as well follow up with a bump. This evening we once again came across a player who had issues with the aftermath of a given admin flag. Fortunately GRIP could step in and help the player with some of the caused damage. Even so, a friendly reminder: Admin flag = danger!
    Jelle68, khixan and Kytula like this.
  2. "how do I give admin flag?" - player
    "Don't." - me

:D
  3. Storage preview!

ppl sometimes ask me how much stuff we got and if we need some stuff. so now i set it up so u can look in all our chests 2 see what we got. we even tell u when u visit our storage:

so if u curious what GRIP has in storage then u can now peek ^.^
    SirTah and Nickblockmaster like this.
  4. i just realized what grip stands for :D
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Ha. I was just about to post the same question... beat me to it!
    I have currently been buying items (for myself) from the small shops as i feel many of them need a boost... so I will make a donation using the same method when i can. I'll be travelling in July but would like to see how else I can help when I get back full time. Keep up the good work Grip!
    ShelLuser and fBuilderS like this.
  6. Hi Peter,

Went to take a look and was kind of expecting to see preview signs to see which chests/items needed stocking the most, but only see the item frames with items... am I missing something? Or you are just requesting any/all the items in the frames? or how can I find out which items are most in need? Also see one dc for donations... and for larger deliveries? tx
    ShelLuser likes this.
  7. You're overlooking the /togglepreview command ;) It's a command which got somewhat recently added and it allows you to look inside every chest on a residence, provided that the permission flag was set of course.

So if you use /togglepreview after you entered you can then look inside all the chests by right clicking on them.

I'll see if we can make this a little bit more obvious.

Actually there are 3 DC's, but it is possible that we need to clear one out again. The top DC is actually connected to three DC's below it, so we have a little threshold. But it has been approx. a week ago since I checked for updates, so it is possible that we have some cleaning up to do :)

You can visit the donation area by clicking on the teleport button; its located near the passage between the two rooms (on the side of the main storage).
    Blondekid42 likes this.
  8. "So if you use /togglepreview after you entered"

Ah, ok. Yes might be an idea to have a sign. Being a newbie, and a newbie to minecraft, it takes me a lot longer to get around to discovering things new and old... there is a lot to learn.

Thanks again
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  9. It is my sad duty to report that fBuilderS is no longer an active member of GRIP, effective immediately.

Apparently he has no longer any motivation to play on the Empire and his profile and contact options have also been fully closed up (you can't PM him nor open his profile). Both options are obviously required for any active GRIP member.

For the record: that is the only reason I removed him. Builder has always been a very (pro)active member of the GRIP team and I can honestly say that he will be severely missed. Right up to a point where we might even start looking out for a new member, but it's a bit too premature to be talking about that.
    Patr1cV likes this.
  10. Warning: This is work in progress, consider this post a quick preview of things to come.

Intro

You know what the absolute worst part of griefing is? It's not the damage, that can be fixed. It's also not the missing blocks or items: that's why we're here. Our storage is packed with items which are all ready to be donated to griefed players when they need it.

But in the end items are just that. No, the absolute worst part, and the part which infuriates me each and every time I see it (might as well say it) are the players who are left demotivated. GRIP can shower you with items (and we will!) but in the end you'd still have to rebuild your stuff.

And I know what that can do. Well, I don't: I can imagine. I've seen a friend getting highly worked up after doing an all nighter to finish up a project, only to end up right back at the start (fluke roll back incident, it has been solved though). And I've seen that somewhat close by.

Recently I've started contacting some players who GRIP has helped to see how things were going. In most of the times things are back to normal. But there are also quite some situations where things didn't quite work out that well. Many hands make light work, but for some solo players 2 hands had to face another unwanted gigantic undertaking. And that left some players demotivated.

Introducing: GRIP JOBS

The idea is a simple one... You need hands to repair your structure but you probably don't want to hire just about any regular newbie out there, especially when we're talking frontier. So why not let us worry about who to trust and for what kind of job?

From a griefed players pov

You ask us for help with the reconstruction and we'll check if we know of any players available who can help. Depending on the job we simply hire, or we set up a meeting / schedule.

For example: if a griefing were to happen in town (which we sometimes also help out with) then we might simply start asking around and hire some people for you. We'll tell you how to give them permission, we'll try to supervise some of the repairs (but that's also your job, you need to be present to make sure all goes well!) and in the end we'll pay the workers and tell you how to reset the flags.

In the frontier things work differently: we'd check with players who we know and trust and we'll plan the repair. So you wouldn't get "invaded" by random players who are simply looking for a job, you'd be visited by players who GRIP puts trust and faith in and who we expect to help you out, leave the area and then forget all about it. That's what we pay them for, but we don't hire just about anybody for these type of jobs.

From a workers pov

Under all circumstances you won't be associated with us, so you wouldn't waive your rights for making claims yourself. We'll have 2 types of jobs.

Ad hoc

The first are simple repair jobs "somewhere", we go there, we provide some tools and obviously all the materials and you're paid to follow instructions from the owner. In the end GRIP pays you and that's it. These jobs could happen anytime and would be announced in-game through economy chat. Anybody is welcome to help out here and make some money.

Planned

This is something you'd have to apply for (work in progress) and which will also have some strings attached to it. In case a job becomes available we'll be contacting you to see if we can make an arrangement for it in the likes of: "can you help with a repair upcoming weekend?". We won't be providing any specific locations or coordinates (unless permitted by the owner) but we set up a meeting and a GRIP member will guide you to the location.

We do our thing in one go. We don't expect you to play for 3 hours straight while you normally play 1 hour per day. We expect you to remain in the area and on the SMP (it'll be another SMP you normally play on) until the job is done. Sure; the next day you may not have time to play, or you need to pick up an auction, etc, etc. All good. We work when we can.

Anyway; when the job has been completed then you'll be informed (in case you're not online you'll get a PM) after which payment is made and we expect you to leave the area.

Warning: for these kind of jobs we'll be keeping journals for an x amount of time. Logs which will always be made available to staff (and staff only!) if they need them. In other words: if any workers think they found unprotected space to steal from then we'll have proof which says that if your presence was recent then it was also uncalled for because you shouldn't have been there anymore in the first place. Because our records will show when the job started, when it ended and who participated.

This is work in progress, I'm still working out details.

And there ya go... This is something which I'm currently working on. It won't be easy, and I'm even not too sure yet how usable of feasible the whole thing is, but yeah: you don't know until you tried.
  11. New GRIP member

Due to the events mentioned above we became understaffed and I seriously needed some help here. Long story cut shorter a bit: GRIP would like to welcome BlinkyBinky into their ranks.

So if you have problems with a griefing then you can now also turn to her for help. I have the fullest confidence that she'll try to help you out as best as she can.
    Patr1cV, SirTah, _cTJ_ and 3 others like this.
  12. BUMP.

Oh wait, I hate bumping threads, maybe I can find a way around this. I know; by changing the OP (original post) :p

More seriously:

I'm somewhat changing the focus of the organization a bit. In its previous form we were really looking out for donations and such, but at this point our storage is packed and with over 2 million rupees in cash (:eek:) I think it's safe to say that we should now put more attention to spreading GRIP awareness and not focus on those donations anymore.

As such I changed the original post to reflect on all this. Donations are still highly appreciated, but at this time the best you can do to help us out is to spread the word if you can.

In other news

For some reason some players keep asking me about land protection. I honestly know just as much as you guys do, with maybe one small exception: I have a hunch that it might come sooner than expected :p But that's all it is: a hunch.

But even so I think there will always be a place for GRIP. Maybe we'd need to adapt, could be, but honestly: my focus is helping players, I don't care about how many or how big the project is we're helping out with.

So even if we'd get a 100% grief free Frontier world (which I somewhat doubt, but you never know) then I'd still see places for GRIP: it wouldn't be the first time where we helped players in town (note: this doesn't happen often and I'm also not saying that we will jump in every time some players run into a disagreement. but there have been plenty of exceptions).

So yeah :)

More to come soon.
    Patr1cV, TotoStyle and khixan like this.
  13. Heyas,
    I'm going to break down and ask for GRIP's help. About 2-3 weeks ago, there was a major griefing at Pigmentus, including all our maintenance and building storage. We lost about 10 DCs worth of supplies. That was our main hidden storage cache. I've since moved all the hidden caches into town. We've now got a main storage facility on my 3rd.
    I'm kinda tired, and just can't face trying to replace everything we lost.
    • Red Sand - 12 stacks
    • Red Sandstone - 16 stacks
    • Hardened clay - 4 stacks
    • Red clay - 6 stacks
    • Yellow clay - 4 stacks
    • Orange clay - 4 stacks
    • Cyan clay - 2 stacks
    • Iron blocks - 3 stacks
    I think that's the major stuff we're now missing. The rest I was able to replace out of my own hoard or other PWU caches/donations easily. Any chance GRIP can help us out with that stuff? We have plenty of end stone leftover from the Dragon Arena build, and I can donate end stone in trade if you like.
    SirTah likes this.
  14. Oh my lord! I hope that this member has been... expelled from the Empire?

(Oh wait, you told me about this.)

About your things. I'll be sure to drop a bunch of stuff off at GRIP, but tell me if you need anything extra in specific, I'll set up some access chests on my third.
  15. Hopping online now, warning others about it, I'll set something into motion here.

Just for formality sake: I don't need proof because I know you too well for that, and since Pigmentus is a public farm.. We got your back Khixan. I do want to say that I'm really sorry to see this happening :(
  16. There were 2 different mods who came out and helped. I know LuckyGreenBird came out the second time when we found the cache destroyed. I wasn't online when it was first discovered, so I'm not sure who found Pigmentus and the Grinders ravaged. Bobby, RD, Ben, Doggie and a whole crew of people had both the Grinders and Pigmentus 95% fixed by the time I got done work and logged in <3
    The supply cache being destroyed was found when I went to get supplies to finish fixing with materials the others didn't have on hand. Bird came out and confirmed it was the same person (and yes TJ, they were banned).
    Pigmentus is a pain to maintain because of the materials it was built out of (cough Walrus cough). Everyone loves that build, so I am trying to maintain it with the same materials. Right now, I've got nether brick shoved in places because I don't have the right supplies anymore. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    SirTah and ShelLuser like this.
  17. I can provide these if it helps.

EDIT: It's in the GRIP donation chest. Someone else was there as well. You .. um have lots now.
    khixan likes this.
  18. Thanks guys :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  19. BTW Shell (or khixan as well) if you need some slime, I have far too much. Please take it :D
    SirTah, ShelLuser and khixan like this.
  20. Shell is thunking me on the head for getting GRIP flooded with donations.
    Ok folks, I'm all good, GRIP is all good, we've got everything we need and a mountain to boot. You can stop now, really... LOL! :D
    Y'all are the best!
    Thank you Shell for delivering the supplies to PWU. Much appreciated :)
    Thanks also everyone who donated, much appreciated <3
    BlinkyBinky and ShelLuser like this.