Good Samaritan Award: WINNER ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by Hashhog, Mar 22, 2015.

1. The selection of players is excellent! I have voted and can't wait for the results. Good luck to all the players on there. ;)
  2. I can't really vote, because I don't even know half of the people on the list, and I understand that you need to know all.
    I hope this will go well, though! :)
    colesta1200 and Chespinlover77 like this.
  3. That justin8846 i hardly ever see him help any one out.
    Chespinlover77 likes this.

4. Agreed! :p

I have only been with EMC for almost 2 mths. now, I feel I don't really know most of these people well enough to vote for them, so will have to pass on voting this time around. Good Luck to all on the list, who deserve to win! :)
  5. Vote for everyone and pretend that you didn't understand the guidelines ;)
  6. Whoah, kinda surprised to see my name in the list, especially considering that I'm still a relatively young player... Thanks guys!

Even so; I do have one small problem with the voting rule; it says to leave the server alone if your name is listed there. But surely I should be allowed to vote for some of the other players on my home server?

So yah, that's exactly what I'm planning to do :)

And congratulations to everyone else as well. It's nice to see that there are so many helpful players around.
  7. Three people ;)

I also nominated Hashhog himself, but he's not included as well (I can really understand why not, but still think it's kinda funny) :)
  8. Voted, woot!
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  9. I'll just leave this all up to everyone else.
    Everyone helps in their own way, i don't see this a fair thing since a lot of people help others.
    Since when did we need to have prizes and contests for being nice and helpful anyway?
    I just hope you haven't encouraged people to be nice just for prizes after this is over.
    Its a sort of nice thing but it leaves out a lot of people and kinda defeats the point of a good Samaritan, last thing i want as well is to feel helping people is a competition.
    And as you said, this could easily be cheated by people being bias, making even more unfair for the little amount of people that got chosen.

That's my opinion, too unfair for me, if everyone can't compete then its not fair. I was not aware that we are marked on our helpfulness either, as someone who does not come on much but helps a lot when i am its unfair for me. But that's just how i feel, you all have your fun, i just can't vote on something that's unfair.
  10. Thanks for the nomination ^_^ Congrats to all the other nominees too!
  11. I am honored to be on the list for smp1!

Edit: Good luck to all of the players that were nominated!
  12. True enough, most people do help in their own way, without any expectations/prizes...it's just common courtesy. :) I help when I can & don't need to be acknowledged in any way. :)
    crystaldragon13 and ShelLuser like this.
  13. Same, seeing as so many are not on the list though, what does that make us?
    Because you may get some people who are thinking that.
    I don't want the attention and i don't want any prizes but there are gonna be some people thinking oh well ok theres a contest for being a good person and there's barely any contestants. If I've been missed out what does that make me, and what does that make the people who were chosen? Are they better people? Do i not deserve anything? Is what i do not enough for such praise?

Its just like the /like residence idea, you are bound to make some people feel bad because you have not included them or gave them the same attention as you have a small minority here. EMC is full of helpful people, with all different lives, to choose who's the best good Samaritans is unfair and maybe hurtful to some who are not included.

Caring but not caring at the same time is hard *~*
    I don't want any part in this but i feel its right to put this opinion in here because you may of made people feel bad doing a contest about who's the most helpful and nicest, and then leave out so many people.

And the last thing i want for myself is to be judged by others, i help because that's just me. I don't want people watching me and noting the things i do to help people.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  14. Yes, and it's quite creepy knowing we're being spied on. What if that new player i was helping was actually a spy and he was jotting down everything i did to see if i was "good enough"?
    Oh, that just makes me dislike the idea of this contest >.>;
    607 likes this.
  15. I knew those evil turkeys were spies! I think the chickens might be in on it too! :confused: They've put my name on a list! --run away run away--

thanks for the nomination, best of luck to all the nominees, cheers
  16. Well to acknowledge something that a lot of the EMC community does, but to only acknowledge a very little amount of them is just totally unfair anyway. This contest puts attention and light onto a handful of people and leaves out the rest.
    Surely everyone that helps deserves such a thing, that's why this contest in my opinion is a bad thing.

I hate the whole thing simply because you could easily make others feel bad because you left them out. And now that i know that my actions of goodness are being watched and also being compared to others for the sake of a contest how am i supposed to feel? And how am i supposed to help people with all this in mind? Maybe give them evil stares?

I refuse to vote and take part, -1, downvote whatever.
    All other contests i've come across so far were fair, well except the flower drop party thing on smp1 before due to too many people and lag, aside from that this is the only other unfair one. I can't even play, i have the option to vote for someone who i think is the nicest but there are plenty of other people not on the list that deserve the vote as well, i'd vote for all if i could.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  17. I am genuinely surprised at being nominated. I've rarely been on smp8 in the past month or so haha, thanks for the nomination whoever it was though! :D
    Gawadrolt and khixan like this.
  18. thank you for the nomination :D good luck to everyone :D
  19. Nice to see the voting thread out, I'll be voting now! Props to you hash for hosting and coordinating this award, you've done a great job!
  20. I think you raise some fair points, and even though I personally don't agree with your opinion I do like it when people speak their mind. Even if it goes "against" a common 'popular' opinion...

Even so, I do get the feeling you may have missed a few points. Not sure of course...

Normally I'd agree, but I think you're overlooking one thing: the people who are on this list were added by the community itself.

For several weeks all players had the option to nominate players who they felt should have been included in this list. So its not as if hashhog simply pulled a couple of names out of a hat; it was the EMC community who put those players where they are now.

But there's more... Those spies? Those aren't just people trying out things, but those were players who tried to confirm that the nominees were indeed as helpful as people thought or considered them to be. Also to rule out the option that players would only be helpful during the nomination period.

So basically there were two "filters" being applied here, but in the end it all boils down to a community event.

Even the voting is all community based.

Although I can see where you're coming from (and I know that's easy for me to say) I can't help wonder if you overlooked this.

First of all; it seems you're addressing one single person here. As I mentioned above that's not the case; the nominees are added by dozens of others. People nominating them, spies "checking them" and then eventually they got on the list.

But "comparing to others"? Yeah, if you consider this to be a competition then I can see how you can pick that up. But to be honest... I don't see it that way. All I'm seeing is creating a platform which allows to put a few helpful players into a spotlight. In fact; I only found out that I was on the list because someone else told me so.

I did know about its existence earlier and nominated 2 people who I knew were probably not available for nominating but heck... But after that I kinda forgot about the whole thing (no offense hashhog) because I really don't have this in mind when I'm helping people.

Basically... the thing is as big or as small as you make it.

So coming back to your question about how you should feel; I can't answer that. Yes, I suppose we're being watched, but why would you let that affect how you behave and react towards others?

Honestly? Real honest?

This is going to sound very harsh but I really couldn't care less about this competition where my persona is concerned. Sure, I like seeing my name up there. But if it wasn't for others telling me I probably wouldn't have known until I voted myself.

I don't do the things I do because of stuff like this. I do what I do because I like it, because I sometimes act plain out crazy (and I know it) and most of all: because I can.

I think the bottom line here is how you approach this thing. Do you see it as a competition or simply as a gest to say "thanks" to a few players.

Well, in that case you really got no one but yourself to "blame" for being late to the event.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but that is the bottom line here. Because if you were aware of this event sooner you could have nominated those other people yourself. Of course that doesn't mean they'll be automatically included, but even so... We (the community) had this option; to tell exactly who we felt should be included.

So yah, with that in mind and based on your comments I can't help wonder if you missed out on all this.