Good Samaritan Award: WINNER ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by Hashhog, Mar 22, 2015.

1. That's my concern too. I don't know if I would qualify, but thanks anyway.
  2. You do realise that this thread was put up at like 3am today, if its been going on for a while it wasn't very well advertised, only reason i noticed it is because it was on the front of the website and that was only today. You can't say done by the community when not everyone uses the forums, i use the forums and i still missed this so called well advertised contest. By making a contest with prizes you have made it a competition, before it was just people helping each other out of the goodness of their hearts, the way it should be. Now that people know they could win prizes they may help for the wrong reasons.

You cannot say i am to blame for missing the event, all the events made by staff i see on the front of the website so i expect to see them all there. If its buried in the forums you cannot cannot expect me to know. And if i missed it due to that then others may of as well. I vote everyday, i'm on the website everyday, if i missed this whole event then it was hidden quite well. If it was easy to see my mom would of nominated me no question, we help each other out a lot. But she saw nothing either.

I see it as both of the things you said above, but instead of making a short list and giving them prizes why not just make a thread which says thank you to everybody and do an event we can all enjoy and take part in? There is no reason to disagree with that and it involves more people, the actual community not just a certain amount, and no contest for silly prizes. Make a thread where people can say thank you to one another, show their appreciation to one another.

If you wanted to say thank the proper way this is not it. Why say thank you to such a small amount of people when you can say it to all? I wont say the people on the list dont deserve it but a lot more than this list deserve a thank you and a spotlight also. Could of easily did this differently and catered for almost everyone, maybe even have a res in each smp to say thank you to everyone with signs and such where we can all have our names, or put another persons name who we appreciate.

If you plan to do something like this again please make sure to cater for more people, maybe use some of my ideas above. And also make it known in plain site on the website. I will help if wanted to, with ideas or anything else just don't repeat this silly award contest. Get people together in game i'll throw letters and cakes at people saying thank you for being part of the community and helping others. All i am trying to do here is include everyone and look after other people, some people could easily take all this wrong way, sort of like i have, if you want to blame me for anything make sure you have good reason to Shel. Because i genuinely did not see a thing, not even someone talk about it once until today.

The reason for making this thing is right, but the idea of it all isn't the best if you want to say thank you.

I am not afraid to speak my mind, but seeing as EMC is a community i would of thought you would of done something to cater for most people, not a handful, in fact this is the only time i've seen this kind of thing, usually its about the majority. Even if you included everyone but me i'd be fine with it because most people get appreciation not a handful.
    ChickenDice, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  3. Nami, I agree with you, and this was my reaction when it was first introduced (years ago, I think) as well.
    But it got great support, people loved the idea, it got done, there were problems, but people still liked it all. Then it got a follow-up, the host changed from Olaf to hashhog, and now there's another follow-up (I think that's how it went).
    After I've seen this happening multiple times, and didn't vote nor nominate all those times, I realised that I really shouldn't bother too much.
    I don't agree wholly with this idea, but it doesn't matter. I don't need to take part in it. Other people do seem to like it.
    Let's just leave this for what it is, and hope people will keep acting like good samaritans, even when they don't get anything back for it! :)

(So, to anyone participating in this, and especially hashhog: I don't mind you doing this at all. Keep doing what you do, there are people who highly appreciate it, even though there are also people against it)
  4. Vote is in :)
    Hehe, good choices, spies ;D
  5. Alrighty I voted! :p
    TigerstarMC likes this.
  6. Wow, totally shocked that I have been nominated but so chuffed at the compliment! I'm not likely to win as up against some awesome people but so many thanks to whoever nominated me :) There are many generous people on EMC and I think that's why I love this server so much. This type of acknowledgement in life is a rare thing and I think that the whole idea is a lovely one even if not everybody could be nominated. Good luck to all :)
  7. Can we do another one later on this year?
    And not just by how pretty the residences are...
    Or if you bought supporter or not.
    georgeashington likes this.
  8. GSA usually runs once a year or so, the EMC Community Appreciation has started to run twice a year I believe. There are plenty of chances to get into these.

As for what you said after, it is by no means done like that. It is done by how well you help and to what extent you help and interact with other people in the community. Before this stage, there were selected spies on the servers that found the best candidates. The players go through checks before they are on there.
    607, crystaldragon13 and SecureCheese like this.
  9. Okay then.
    I hope I get in next year!
  10. This had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with builds or supportership. I was in the nether the entire time. Oops, slipped a bit there.

I don't know how you think that...
    607 and crystaldragon13 like this.
  11. Fair points, but as Shel said, the point of the contest is to recognize some of the players that make EMC the place it is but don't usually get credit for it. And yes, there are very few players on the list, but it would be almost cruel to charge the spies with finding ten players each in a short time period. I personally can think of twenty players without pause who could be on that list, but we can only put on so many players. If you're not on the list, it doesn't mean that you are somehow worse than those on the list, it simply means that these people in particular caught the eyes of the spies. The spies can't always be online, so they won't see every good deed done, as nice as that would be. I try to make it as fair as possible, but unfortunately, it's not possible to make everything perfect.
  12. Okay.

Thanks for making my day better again. :D
    When I saw the list at first I was really kinda sad I didn't make it.

But I also wish luck to those who ARE on the list!
  13. Prizes updated thanks to an awesome 50k donation from AmusedStew. :D
  14. Sure! Load up the SMP6 choices with people I have a hard time choosing among! :p The spies did great work there!
    ChickenDice and crystaldragon13 like this.
  15. Everyone on the list deserves to be there BCR!
  16. *whistles while looking around not making eye contact* Oh alright. I'm not a spy. I just like to pretend I am. But seriously dude it's like I told BCR everyone on the list deserves it.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  17. Next time find the spies, bind them so they can't get away then call me. I'll keep them awake... mwahahaha...I mean help you persuade them. Gently.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  18. I only voted for ones on the only server I've ever visited. (Yes yes, my real life friends tell me I need to get out more too) :)
    AnonReturns and crystaldragon13 like this.