Flags are just annoying now

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by mba2012, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Does EMC not support clicking items in chest inventory that acts like a macro for a command? I'm not sure if that requires a plugin or not. It's not ideal, but might be easier than having to type commands. not sure.
  2. Think of things like vault or promo selection. This would be like a higher version of that.
  3. There was a similar thread about a month ago. I also think that all these flags have complicated things. I think there should be a hierarchy with the big four on top(Build, Move, Container, and Use) that affect the lesser permissions, with the ability to change any of them to customize settings for a particular need. One new change I'd like to see is that we really need Hoppers to be treated differently. To work with them you need Container currently and that is a problem when working on someone else's Residence.

The code is already there. Aikar would just need to modify how it works from a bunch of individual flags to several master flags that affect the ones below them in the hierarchy when they are modified.

My posts there probably explain it better:
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/do-you-realy-need-all-these-flags.32129/#post-616551
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/do-you-realy-need-all-these-flags.32129/page-2#post-616967

Before posting I took a look at Issue Tracker. There are a few items I found that are related to this discussion there:
    http://track.empire.us/issue/EMC-62
    http://track.empire.us/issue/EMC-96
    http://track.empire.us/issue/EMC-53
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/do-you-realy-need-all-these-flags.32129/page-2#post-616967
  4. I think that the command /flags [playername] should be the only command for personal flags.
    This could open up to a chest menu with all the flags, in some specific order.
    All flags would be colored white by default, meaning no flag for that person.
    You could select each flag icon and the name could turn green for true flag. Again and red for false.
    This was the best way I could think of doing this with what we have now. I don't know if this is fully possible.
    brickstrike likes this.
  5. I must agree with nick5013, this is simply impossible. (Unless you want EMC to become a mod server.)

This has already probably been thrown out there, and if it did, pretend this is simply me agreeing to it. Why not a hierarchy for flag permissions?

Flag Hierarchy
    Owner - Complete Control. (Owner of the res. Can control all flags, who can control those flags, and who can give out flag permissions.)
    Co-Owner - Flag giver. (Can control all flags, and who can control those flags, excluding the Owner.)
    Member - Default. (Must have flags given to, and can only abide to those flags given.)

Obviously, it would have more dangers than the current, eh.. hierarchy? But it would be more flexible, and the such.

Or I was thinking, if you guys remember the update, horse update I believe? That added the ability in chat, to click something, and then if a certain thing was clicked, something would execute? So, perhaps you could do something such as "/flags list "username"". Then, it would bring up a list of the player, what flags he has on the residence you're currently on, (Has to be yours, of course, or maybe you can be a co-owner if.. anyways), and say I brought up the list of mba2012's flags on my 1st res, next to the build flag, it would have two options. [Enable] [Disable] (current option) and this would be for all the flags, and then it would be a little less of a hassle..
  6. It's very much plausible - and can use the chest commands gui very easily... It also could work around the edition of needing a player's name (or group of players names as well)

Chat could read your input as:

Residence:
    /res set
    --->It will then initiate the chest gui - and you can click a wool block to toggle it to a different color.

(green) to be 'true'
    ...if toggled to green - the system will auto type (without being visible) /res set (move) true

(red) to be 'false'
    ...if toggled to red - the system will auto type (without being visible) /res set (move) false

Single Person:
    /res pset eklektoi
    --->It will then initiate the chest gui - and you can click a wool block to toggle it to a different color.

(green) to be 'true'
    ...if toggled to green - the system will auto type (without being visible) /res pset eklektoi (move) true

(yellow) to be 'remove'
    ...if toggled to yellow - the system will auto type (without being visible) /res pset eklektoi (move) remove

(red) to be 'false'
    ...if toggled to red - the system will auto type (without being visible) /res pset eklektoi (move) false

Multiple People:
    /res pset eklektoi,WCG_Elite (names shouldn't be case sensitive)

(green) to be 'true'
    ...if toggled to green - the system will auto type (without being visible) /res pset eklektoi (move) true ...& /res pset WCG_Elite (move) true

(yellow) to be 'remove'
    ...if toggled to yellow - the system will auto type (without being visible) /res pset eklektoi (move) remove ...& /res pset WCG_Elite (move) remove

(red) to be 'false'
    ...if toggled to red - the system will auto type (without being visible) /res pset eklektoi (move) false ...& /res pset WCG_Elite (move) false

edit) multiple might have to have individual chests - I just realized If the chest interface retrieves whether a person already has a perm set to true or false - what if the other person's is different? - they couldn't use the same interface setting - or it would throw off an error....so another work around for multiple might be - to have the chest split in half (green) and (red) ...and it doesn't retrieve what their setting already is ... it just force updates all the players to the setting you choose.
  7. I agree with the too many flags or more accurate is the lack of "one flag to rule them all". I play MC here with 3 close friends so we have no need to limit each others access to anything. I would love to see something like:

/res pset [playername] all t --the all being a full access pass to everything.

You could even break it down some as was suggested with commands like:
    buildall (would include redstone)
    farmall (harvest, plant, shear, kill etc)
    containerall (chests, furnaces, potion stands, anvils, crafting tables, enchantment tables etc)
    rideall (horses and minecarts)
    liquidall (water and lava)

Each flag when set would have the big warning if you get griefed because of this don't cry to us because you gave them permission.

But please for our sanity and real life friends give us the all flag so we don't have to spend 15 minutes typing in all the commands to give one person access to everything.
  8. I mean hey - implement both of ours - kind of? wink wink?

Like in the far bottom left (or right) of each chest gui... have 2 wool blocks - 1 green, 1 red ... and one would set all permissions to that person (or to the res) to true, and the other would set all to false? :D
  9. There's been lots of great ideas posted here. I really like the idea of making build/use/container master flags that container the littler ones, and definitely would like an "all" flag as well. Whatever the case, here's my post supporting an update to the flag system.
  10. This is a really good idea! I hope it implemented. :)
  11. This Wiki page has everything you'll need as far as documentation goes
  12. datt flag HUD :O
  13. The clicking flag icon to edit the flag's state is possible. Typing a player's name into a chest UI is not.

Doing /res pset [name] or /res set to bring that up, and then you click the flags would work though. :)
  14. I'm 99% sure it didn't when I created this thread. And it's all so brief.
    NINJATTILA likes this.
  15. It looks like it has everything to me, what's missing?
    (Also no edits to Residences since Monday :p)
  16. How are you so sure about that?
  17. There have been lots of rubbish arguments in the past for not having a master flag and the likes, I think we're well past that now and it's something that needs to be implemented for the sake of the players sanity if nothing else.
  18. It's been there for a little bit, but it's kind of...
    Sorry I think it's pathetic we have to go out of game to look up a huge list of flags.
    #JustSaying
    mba2012, 607, kilmannan and 1 other person like this.
  19. I wrote a tracker on that (a long) time ago ... the problem was it would flood the entire screen...

This was aikar's response http://track.empire.us/issue/EMC-81

However, it's been almost 9 months since this was made - In a sense the /help could technically have a hierarchical effect of flag lists perhaps?
    under /help flag - you could have these:
    /help build
    /help use
    /help animal
    /help other
    (or something similar)
    Having these as parent flags that list the sub flags? So it doesn't take up the entire screen at once (yet still list them all)
  20. As shown above there is plenty of plans to make flags work better. I will try to get to them soon, maybe before DT, but about to go on Honeymoon here this week... So i will be mostly out of commision (Maybe I can get to it tonight though)

About the idea of master flags, we can do stuff like that by including backup flags that work too, so I can add build to some.

build to access redstone sounds reasonable, any other suggestions?