[EVENT] President for a Day!

Discussion in 'Empire Events' started by Krysyy, Feb 15, 2019.

1. I read it wish I had a screenshot.
    Windylava likes this.
  2. I hope that the candidates debate the points of the other at some point
    607, EquableHook and Lukas3226 like this.
  3. After last night lol I think everyone took a much needed break and maybe they will end the debate as is. Some good points brought up though!
    607 and jacob5089 like this.
  4. In this crucial moment of the election, I am pledging my support to jewel_king, and urge everyone else to do so too. Regardless of who you voted for before, the president gets to create a promo for the entire community, and I know no better man to create a promo for our fine community than our very own jewel_king.

#Votejewel_king
    Gawadrolt, Spherestar and Sefl like this.
  5. Vote for jewel!
  6. Do you feel that Jewel outperformed Windy in the final debate?
    607, Raaynn and Kryarias like this.
  7. Please explain why you think he would create a better promo than Windylava.
    Windylava likes this.
  8. Yes i cant say that i care too greatly about the promo vs what one would hope to be a longer lasting outcome that could be aquired through this event...
    Windylava, jacob5089 and Kryarias like this.
  9. I just believe that everyone should be encouraged to vote not on the merit of who would create a better promo or something, but rather based on their beliefs that were stated in the debate thread. If the debate isn't considered at all by the people voting, then it was a waste of time for all involved.
  10. ... the promo?
    Oh well.
    I hadn't considered that yet. And does this even mimic a flaw in the USA's system?
  11. It is, president for a DAY. How long lasting is that? The promo is what will be long lasting :confused:

Of course the debate was a waste of time, most of what we do in minecraft is a waste of time. That we enjoy it is the important part. Why wouldn't people vote on the only actual outcome. After the presidents day event the debates will be largely forgotten. The points brought up, while not to be ignored, are things that have been iterated over and over on the forums before.

Voting is flawed, elementary. Mob rule is pretty silly. The USA isn't a democracy though, it is an oligarchy. The good ole boys club rules, not the mob/majority, though. The platitudes about everyone's vote counting in the USA are just that, pointless cries of action that ultimately lead to inaction and some delusional sense of "making a difference" while actually not doing anything.

I know my opinion only has so much weight in the forum community of EMC but I will be throwing my vote in with jewel_king. Before this last round I was pretty much just voting for the under dog. That isn't why I will be voting for jewel_king this time though. Besides the promo thing that has come to light, which only reinforces my opinion on this... Jewel_king, from what I have seen, has put the most effort into rallying the actual in game community in his campaign, really the only campaign that I have seen outside the forums. That wasn't the clincher for me though, Jewel_king captured my vote by being a pretty awesome person and coming to me when there was a problem with my having said something rather rude. Instead of it blowing up into some flame war or bickering Jewel came and asked me if I had been offended by something. That was beyond respectable in my eyes and more than deserving of the vote, a small token of appreciation, that I will be casting.
    Kephras, Kryarias and TomvanWijnen like this.
  12. Waste of time.. perhaps. I guess that depends on how you look at this whole event. Yes it is a lot of things that have been said previously... however this is another and fresh method for staff to discuss ideas and options with the community as well as bring it up to keep iy fresh in players minds that emc is always looking for innovative methods to keep and attract players.

Or you can just look at it as an ends to a shiny new promo.

In the end that choice is up to each individual.
    ConductorConduit, jacob5089 and 607 like this.
  13. Top_Benny and SkeleTin007 like this.
  14. Jewel has, out of most EMC players, the most knowledge about what a good promo is, and with his extensive knowledge on the subject it is evident that only he is capable of creating something that will be greatly enjoyed and welcomed by the entire community.

The promo will be the long lasting part of this event, the policies of all involved are merely for fun, as no one elected is actually getting any power to make change.

The debate was the fun part of the event for the candidates to try and challenge themselves, but at the core of this event the winner creates a promo and nothing more, therefore jewel is the obvious choice for president, and as you very nearly beat him in the polls, I urge you to direct your voters in the direction of jewel, for the good of all EMC players and their unending love of promos.
    JesusPower2 likes this.
  15. #Windyforpresident2019
  16. I vote on who I believe will help out EMC not just for the promo.
    Windylava, The_Mancub and Kryarias like this.
  17. I don't entirely judge candidates by how they perform during the campaign. I expect someone running for a position to put forward their best image. That's only natural, right?

I look at their words and actions prior to the campaign. Do they really demonstrate the values and beliefs they claim to hold?

I'd ask:
    • Are these candidates inclusive of all community views, or perhaps have been dismissive towards views opposing their own?
    • Have they worked with staff to improve things, or have they acted in an adversarial manner and blocked progress?
    • Have the candidates sacrificed personal wealth to right an injustice, or have they exploited the injustice for maximum profit?
    Actions are more meaningful than words. Some people are very good at debate and rhetoric. I'd rather vote for someone who lacks debate skills but has the right actions, than someone who debates very well and has no action.
  18. I will not direct my voters to vote for a candidate nor tell them to support a certain agenda, as I previously stated. To do so would be to go against my belief of what this event is meant to be and would defeat the entire purpose, from my point of view.
  19. I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, I believe I have done all I can, and when concerning the promo I believe the players should have a choice not just one individual which is why I encourage everyone to message me their ideas on the forums and vote for Windylava where I will put you first!
    SkeleTin007 and jacob5089 like this.
  20. Not sure how much it counts for as im not very active, but I am voting for windy. They have been a friend of mine on smp2 for a long time (since i started really) and really seem to care about helping the server
    Windylava likes this.