[EULA] Mojang Supporter Changes Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gibabyte, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I liked your post due to "Also, I'm not a lawyer"

My main thing I've been thinking of is "Hey, what if Grumm is the only one looking like the huge a^%$#^&?" because I just searched their Twitters, and out of Dinnerbone, _Jeb, _Grumm and Marc and Notch, The only ones mentioning the whole thing are _Grumm, who comes off as a huge a^%$#^&, and Marc, who is getting crap from immature people wanting to rant at him asking how it felt to be hated, and he stated he was for monetized servers "but not anymore". Dunno if the "not anymore" is because he has changed his mind because of people being douchecanoes or what. I found some mentions on Marc's twitter about "Complaints from Parents factored in" and then Notch has this: https://twitter.com/notch/status/472267182211354624 if you read through it, basically DONATIONS are ok, but paying to get perks is what they want to cut down on it seems. At least that's what I understand.

Edit: Corrected spelling. Jesus I cannot type UGH.
    boozle628, mba2012 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  2. Of course, this is all my opinion.

This is what happens when a small company goes big, and their ego follows them. From what I have seen, Mojang seems to think that they are gaming gods. Now they are all butthurt because practically nobody wants any of their games besides Minecraft. It has also dawned upon them that the law of diminishing returns does actually apply to them. Now factor in how nobody cares about Realms, and that just enrages them more.

This honestly doesn't surprise me. I have just been waiting to see a scheme created by them to make their worthless asses profitable again.
  3. This makes me sad :( Mojang doesn't realize that it was the community and servers that gave them their fortune. It is kinda like a spoilt kid, they get so much of something and they take it for granted. I just feel sad :(
  4. jkjkjk182, mba2012 and AlexChance like this.
  5. Sad :(
  6. Mojang has been really going downhill. 1.8, nerfs, and now THIS. They think they know what is best for the community, with mark saying "a monopoly is not healthy for the community", but it is the total opposite. They are going away from there players.

7. This is a good look on the issue. (Warning use of Coarse languague)
  8. damn...
    *deletes post in shame*
  9. Remember Grum is not a source of truth here. He is not Mojangs legal team, and he could be speaking on pure personal opinion.

As for EMC, TNT is the only questionable part and we can sort of say "everyone is allowed to acquire it".

Everything else has to deal with how much server resources a player uses on our service, so we are legally able to control that by cost.

If mojang wants to say servers HAVE to give unrestricted access to using server resources, then they will find their game dead.

As said above, we are not a pay to win server, and TNT is the only base item that is restricted.

I've also tweaked our upgrade page removing uses of Mojang assets, and added a blurb to the ToS. so we should be fine legally.
  10. I find the title misleading, as donations will always be legal.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  11. Blarg. Come-on people. You have to Understand the rules in the context (and limited scope) of how they are written. Remember, attorney speak vastly differs from common sense and layman-talk.

In its current EULA form:
    They state "you must not distribute anything we‘ve made"
    Then under the 'Distribution' they state "try to make money from anything we‘ve made"

This means not profiting from their 'code'. I fail to see, or to even comprehend where server donations, ranks, or the like would violate anything in their current EULA.
    Here is why... Running a server is not distributing code. In addition, as it is not explicit, the 'contract' favors the acceptors understanding of the contract, not the creators. Any first year civil attorney can tell you this.

The best they could attempt, is have their attorneys strongarm smaller servers into 'settling' even if no harm has been done (do this too much however, and states attorneys begin to get involved and will smack companies around for these types of practices).

Unless the EULA changes (and until we can see any potential changes), all we are doing is speculating on what 'May' happen based on the rants of some chat.

Remember, in the rules of written contracts, you cannot just take small snippets of text and say 'these words apply to any situation!'... because you Must understand the Context and also the limited scope in which it is written.\

I would however like to see links for additional information as to why people are believing this.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  12. True.

It would be more accurate to say "purchases" becoming illegal. They seem to have given the "go ahead" to Hypixel and Shotbow to continue as they have, but given warning to Woodycraft so, it's hard to say what they're saying is good or bad at this point.

Based on the initial conversations, it seems they're not allowing anything that would allow directly or indirectly the purchase or restriction of MC vanilla items.

This would mean (again if it goes through) EMC couldn't sell rupees (or offer rupees in any way besides earning them in game, including no supporter rupees) since you can use rupees to buy things in the shop in game.

I'm hoping Mojang at the very least comes out with some kind of official statement soon so everyone knows how to properly move forward, either business as usual or having to make some dramatic changes.
  13. No, it would not affect rupees at all. They are targeting RESTRICTING parts of the game by using money, not using money to make things easier in game.

TNT is the only thing we are restricting. None of our other perks would violate the EULA.

And even then, its questionable, as we don't restrict it because we want the money, we restrict it because their code sucks and causes server problems.
  14. EDIT: Just saw the Terms and Service.

As Mojang or any of its employees or lawyers can't access EMC nothing can be done against us?
  15. *pulls out popcorn and watches a nuclear bomb falling on the television*

Let's see how this turns out.
  16. Invis is blocked to everyone so it would not be subject to it.

The point mojang is trying to make is servers that remove parts of the game then try to sell it back to you, meaning the only way to play the base game is by paying even more money.

If they went as far as to say you cant even remove basic elements of the game, many servers like hypixel, shotbow and such all would break the eula as the base game does not fit into their design
  17. His own Twitter account... I hate Mojang more than ever, now...

This crap is why I don't buy anything Minecraft related. Notch made an amazing game and mostly washed his hands of it at 1.0 official release... This is a company getting greedy because side projects aren't even comparable to their flagship project... I own Cobalt and Minecraft. I was considering Scrolls for a long time - glad I never gave them money for it. I got Cobalt on it's first release, so no real money paid there...

I hope this all calms down and things resume normally. However, as much as I love EMC and OBAM and Minecraft and everything else Minecraft related, I am not really interested in Minecraft anymore...

I will keep an ear to the ground in the coming months/years but I don't expect to suddenly find news that Mojang has dug their collective head out of their collective ass and decided to support the community not the Money God that has blinded them...
  18. This is basically game over for Minecraft if the new "law" gets put into place. The community will fight back and if this regulation does take place, like everyone else has said I doubt it'll stay active for long. There's already been various rants posted everywhere including Twitter and YouTube and I highly doubt that Mojang want to kill off their most successful game.
    highlancer54 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.