[EULA] Mojang Supporter Changes Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gibabyte, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That was their original argument months ago, but in more recent (yesterday) conversations with that Grum dude hold to be true with the rest of the Mojang team, they've gone as far as saying you can't even give a colored name if someone donates and people asked him questions such as this example and he made it clear that if items/perks of any kind are given in game, they can only come from some kind of soft currency that in no way can be purchased.

Hopefully, Grum isn't speaking on behalf of all of Mojang at this time and not saying any of that will happen. Just sharing with what was spoken about. We'll see soon enough I'm sure. I can't expect Mojang to sit on this for to long with all the heat it's getting without an official statement.
  2. Ahhh, this makes much more sense what they are intending to do. Thanks for the clarification Aikar.

I would think though, that where there is 'pay for play', more servers would come out and let you play 'vanilla' without all the restrictions and in turn blow the 'pay for play' out of the water.

Only reason I have the PC version of minecraft, is because of EMC.
    A large reason I support EMC, is because it is free to play for everyone.

I think that of all my time here, I have used TNT maybe twice.
    The third time, a few days ago, the TNT seemed to do nothing at all in town (except disappear).

Anyhow, guess time will tell what direction we will all be headed.
    battmeghs likes this.
  3. Work around: Donate to website, on website you earn points/currency/something, that something else allows you to get items in game.

Players aren't donating for items in game, they are donating for points on your website, those points are used to unlock something in the game. No direct money-to-item transactions or donations.
  4. why.. one of the main parts of minecraft is the servers most players wouldnt play with out servers... this is going to close a good chunk of them... :(
    Aemilea likes this.
  5. People made examples like this already and was shut down, unfortunately. The response was, that you can only use another currency/points to get items/perks IF those points/currencty were earned and not obtained via money in any way.
    MrUnknownian likes this.
  6. jkjkjk182 likes this.
  7. I have yet to find a comment like that, and then its back to my original point: Grums word doesn't mean anything for that.

The sheer negative publicity mojang would get from sueing hundreds of servers would kill their business. Any lawyer would tell them it would be a silly move to go THAT strict.
  8. I can't recall where it was. I've been looking at this stuff all night in various sources, but it's in there somewhere.

And, here's to hoping you're correct. I'm not on his side, just posting the news as I heard it.
  9. #BlameObama
    RainbowChin likes this.
  10. Haha, that just happened. xD
  11. Well I'd like to add 2 things. Firstly a huge business would never go after a server for say a $20 donation. Not only would they make themselves look like arse-hats, they would lose money on it, and for what? 20 bucks.

Also, you guys know Blizzard Entertainment? Yeah the company worth 10 fold what Minecraft is worth? People make private servers for WoW all the time, that alone is illegal. But to further make things worse people allow donations to 'buy' items in that game, which is also against the agreement. This has been going on for years now, everyone knows those servers are against the agreement and law, but nothing has ever been done about it.

Molten-Wow is a great example of this, at the time of writing this there is 20,000 people playing that private server. You know dang well Blizzard knows about it, and has for years. Those people make a killing on donations, the profits are insane. Blizzard has never even slightly made an attempt at stopping it.

You know why? You can't stop people from donating, especially in the United States. We are free living people who can do whatever the hell we want with our money. To try and take someone to court for donating, or accepting donations, would just completely shred any dignity the face of your company holds.

Calling it right now: This will not stop anyone. Any server that has even the slightest active community will still accept donations. Or, people just won't update and fall into their stupid rules.

Or, if it does actually get out of hand: Someone will just make a new 'Minecraft' which will make a killing in profits, and Minecraft itself will be forgotten. Like the switch from MySpace to Facebook lol.
  12. Oh, and as a side bonus. To deny making any money off Minecraft, would kill hundreds of companies completely based around selling dedicated Minecraft servers. It's not about just killing servers at this point, it's about taking peoples lives away and putting them out of a job. All for absolutely no apparent reason what so ever.

One breath of that to a news station, and the word 'Minecraft' won't even be worth the paper it's printed on. Because as we all know, bring politics into anything, and it gets heated and messy. With a business in the middle of it? Forget about it, that business gets shredded.
    autumnrain26 and DogsRNice like this.
  13. The thing is, these aren't "donations" so to speak. You are actually buying something. A donation is something you do without getting anything out of it. You could classify this as a sort of modified donation in the sense that you're forced to donate to get something, but it's still buying something.

I've heard this too, there's some discussion about it on the Spigot forums.
  14. Sure sure, I mean we all know it's to get around actually selling something you don't own. It's basically saying if you donate you get X item. But the reason why it's done that way is because people know a company can't do a thing about it.

I only used WoW as an example, but there is so many other 'communities' doing this exact same thing. Runescape, Guild Wars, hell name an MMO and there is a private server version of it somewhere out there that accepts donations in place of items. It's against those companies TOS, but those companies can't do anything about it without looking bad, or costing themselves money.

With Minecraft that may be different though, because Notch throws money around like a madman. Dinnerbone got something like 400,000 US dollars just for joining the team. So who knows how strict they will be with it.

What we do know though is that this choice doesn't come down to "do it or not", it comes down to "Do we want to kill Minecraft or let it live on" that is the choice they are discussing pretty much.

Either way, you know someone out there is already working on a Minecraft clone based off this news, just waiting to sweep in and take over this creative community. Best part is? Mojang can't sue you for copying their game, because Minecraft itself is a copy of another game. To sue you for it, is like sewing themselves. Can't sue someone for an idea that isn't even your idea, is my point.

Only time will tell.
  15. Random thinking here, would it be possible to "gift" players for donating? If they donate, you give them an item that is normally obtainable with a lot of tokens/credits/rupees?
  16. hmm, maybe... hypixel is still allowed to give boosts like that, so maybe...
  17. If things go downhill; we could just stay on 1.7.9 forever :D
    #NoMoreUpdates
    Bukkit/Spigot would have to piggyback on that idea though
  18. But... Bunnies! D:
  19. So that's how they get you agree to the new EULA,
    bunnies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.