Empire Tokens Released! [Dragon Tombs 2/4]

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, May 10, 2014.

1. hmm, death nerfs token rewards, but seems like I need to scale it to nerf even more and scale also based on difficulty.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  2. do nether hounds drop tokens?
  3. yes
    wisepsn likes this.
  4. How much will resik drop, because he is boss and momentus is mini boss
  5. What do u mean, if i may ask?
  6. The more you die fighting a mob the less reward you should get. It's a system already in place but I think what he meant is he needs to increase it. 62 deaths should have rewarded you basically nothing I believe. :p
    607 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  7. oh. well i died alot and i counted around that so maybe i just got lucky...
  8. I have always liked the idea of dragon tombs, but why does land claiming have to be so hard? You should be able to just apply for land and if it is a legitimate outpost, you will get say 81 chunks claimed around that center point? I mean, you could still get extra land with the token system, but what about those of us who are getting griefed? Even if we report it it does not get fixed. Then more people can just come along and grief it also. I personally think you should not have to go through hours of tedious running around and killing custom mobs to be able to claim land in the future. Also, it would not be so horrible if tokens were dropped from every mob, because spawn rates for custom mobs are low and even hard to find sometimes. I spent 3 in game nights in a completely flattened out desert and found not one enraged mob.
    NZScruffy, mba2012 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  9. I think it's something that we'll have to wait and see how it works first. Everything is still subject to change like anything else, and prices aren't even set yet apparently. I think they just want a way to automate the process so people don't have to wait for mods to come around or get the okay from surrounding villages, you kinda just find an open place and setup.

Normal mods wouldn't work, because you could just camp a mob grinder for days and get thousands of tokens. I believe the entire point of this update is to get people out and doing things, and creating groups and such.

But as I said, just wait till that part of the update comes out see how it feels and if you don't like it put in a suggestion thread to get the community talking about it. :)
  10. How does one buy a dragon egg with tokens? And how much?
  11. Most of your post I agree with, however, there are ways to determine the difference between a mob spawned in a grinder and one that is not.. a couple may slip through the system, but not enough to make it worth the grinding. So, it COULD be possible. But this an entire new system, like you pointed out, and will need to be fleshed out as it settles in.

EMC initially started out as a town centered Server. The transition to wild communities has been a long one coming, however, with a land as vast and explored as the respective wild on each of the servers, counting in the fact that the majority of people who would use it, have been around for quite some time, and just the sheer user size of EMC, it has to be done correctly, not necessarily hard.

The plans for the land claiming will require infrastructure, Aikar has plans on how to build that properly, but you can't just go 'boom, infrastructure'. In the meantime, Aikar has implemented many moderation tools to help cull the effect of greiving, and the introduction of policies such as the one that allows you to 'lay claim' to an area for a wild community, is showing the moves in the direction.

Instead of viewing it as hard, view it as the fact that Aikar is trying to add a really cool feature that EMC needs, but EMC was not built with.

If I had a house that had 3 bedrooms, and wanted a 4th, I can't just throw a 4th room there. I have to meet zoning regulations, building codes, give it a proper foundation, give it wiring and a suitable location. If the house originally had that 4th bedroom when it was being built, it would have been much easier, but adding that extra takes a little bit more time.
    ZBSDKryten, NZScruffy, 607 and 4 others like this.
  12. I can't agree more. I like the wild, but I've never liked going out and killing monsters, especially enraged ones. I think an alternative way of claiming land (or receiving tokens) should be available. I've gotten to the point of not caring about dragons tombs since it's been almost two years since it was first announced, so they're not going to be enough to make me go out and get tokens.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  13. Late for what?
  14. Once the tokens system is in place, alternative ways of earning tokens are a much smaller step to develop. Figuring out a balance and value for killing mobs is complex, but will be are very good way to evaluate what amount of tokens can be generated in a given time/ amount of effort. Once the token value has been determined based on those types of testing grounds, it can be used as a basis for other achievements.

I don't know Aikar's plans, but I would like to see players who operate successful shops get tokens, people who participate in events or community projects, players with good voting numbers. Basically anything that makes our servers a better place feels like a possible reason to award tokens. Killing mobs is clearly a challenge for the player, but being part of the community is also a challenge.

Give it time, the system has to be there before it can be improved. I know DT is taking a long time, and that land claiming RIGHT NOW seems like a good solution, but with a couple years on the server, I can say that fighting lots of mobs may not be the best of qualifications for owning a wild community.

There are very few people who actually own dragon eggs, so this system is not being designed around that idea. I am hopeful that the people who worked so hard to get the old dragon eggs and build outposts will get a justifiable reward for their effort and wait, but this system isn't in answer to that. I suspect that a customized offer will be made to old dragon egg holders when the land claiming system is actually working.

Aikar hasn't given me any private info on his plans, so please keep in mind that this is my opinion, not his. I trust his judgement and I know he has lots of issues to consider in addition to the complexities of coding.
    607, highlancer54, mba2012 and 3 others like this.
  15. I believe that that would be a very good descisision, as killing mobs to be able to claim land would be very tedious, voting daily for 2 months would take a similar toll on time, but so much less tedious.
    607 likes this.
  16. I think your definition of tedious varies greatly from others. Some would see pressing a button and entering a captcha much more tedious than running around a killing things with friends.
  17. It's never too early to suggest ways of earning tokens in addition to mob drops. Though as people have said, the priority right now is to get the token system out there, and get Dragon Tombs released. Then some for of land claiming system in place.

So we have time to come up with some ideas on how else to fairly award tokens other than killing mobs. :) Just_five outlined things we could reward for, I like all those ideas, but question is how to implement it?

My thoughts keep going back to MCMMO/Jobs system, whereby a player can acquire money/points for performing certain tasks such as chopping a tree, mining a block, placing a block. It would be cool to design something like that for EMC tokens, where it awards tokens/credits for doing stuff. The reward would be very small, such as:
    • 1 token for placing 500 blocks or something.
    • 1 token for breaking 500 stone, or 1 diamond ore, or 10 redstone ore, etc.
    • 1 token for breaking 100 wood (log)
    • etc
    ZBSDKryten, Pab10S and 72Volt like this.
  18. I am one of those people that simply does not kill many mobs. :) I'm not a hunter/killer, I'm a builder. :)

So the idea of having to grind a 1000's of custom mobs to get tokens to protect my land bores me before i even start. If I can find another way to acquire the tokens i need to protect my wild base(s), then I will pursue it.

In the meantime, I'm having to learn a whole new skill set. The hunter/killer. I can see pumpkin pie is going to become a staple diet as I chomp down on that foul shiny flesh for it's miraculous curative ability. Perhaps a strong stock of Diamonds to repair my continually abused god armour.

I think we need some helpful tutorials up on token hunting. :)
    mba2012 likes this.
  19. I killed a regular Enraged Zombie in water and got 0 tokens.
    Is this normal?
    Thanks.