Empire has updated to 1.8!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, May 5, 2015.

1. People without flags/permissions can invert daylight sensors. I removed the daylight sensor at my residence after someone kept messing with it to prevent others from doing the same.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. I remember reading somewhere that flying machines(maybe slime block engines) were somehow going to be disabled. Is this the case? I have lots of ideas for fun slime block machines and if the mechanics are somehow altered with them it would be nice to know :)

Edit: I believe I have read almost every post on the thread and am surprised I haven't seen it mentioned here
    PenguinDJ, 607 and ThaKloned like this.
  3. Just wondering what the status of the changes to the anvils. I have been hesitant on buying any kind of enchanted items at this point because of the current mechanics and the possibility that I could buy something that is irreparable and no way to tell what I am buying.

In fact there was a recent reverse auction for:
    5 Enchanted Diamond Pickaxes with UNB3 and EFF5 ***ALL PICKS MUST BE UNUSED AND NEVER REPAIRED**

Even with an item never being repaired it has been confirmed that craftsmanship is a factor now too. If an UNB 3/EFF5 book is applied to say a pick, that the repair cost is significantly lower than applying multiple low level books to a pick to achieve the same rating.

Combining low level books first into a single book and then applying it to the item still has the same affect as applying each of the books to the item individually resulting in a high initial repair cost. In fact, if attempting to make a god armor with nothing but low level books to achieve that goal may result in god armor that is irreparable straight off the shelf once brought down enough to need repairs .
    ChrisFlareon and Gawadrolt like this.
  4. Have drop rates of ALL mobs been changed? I'm getting about 1/5 of what I used to. Makes no sense why this has changed. Temple farm rates I can completely understand changing that. We were getting full DCs within minutes. But why the other mobs?
  5. I don't even like buying books anymore and definitely wont be buying enchanted items. Right now you are taking a huge gamble by doing so. you can ask baradara, i like ny enchanted items lol.
  6. We really need to talk about my name Gawadrolt.

Real figures from an experiment I conducted today to see the costs of repairing a maxed enchantment fortune pick.

2 Picks were used. Both came from the same villager trade pre 1.8.
    Efficiency III, Unbreaking III, Fortune I

The following books were added to the picks to max their enchantments
    Pick 1 (used only books that already had then correct level enchant)

Fort III (ignoring the I already on the pick)
    Eff III
    Eff IV
    XP Cost to add the final Eff IV - 12 levels

Pick 2
    Fort I
    Fort II book made by combining 2 Fort I's
    Eff III book made by combining 4 Eff I's into two II's then combining those into one Eff III
    Eff IV book made by combining 8 Eff I's into II's then III's then the IV

XP Cost to add the final Eff IV - 32 levels

I then used both of these tools to break about 10 blocks taking them down to 1554/1566 durability.
    Adding 1 diamond the costs to repair the 2 tools were:

Pick 1
    First repair - 16 levels
    Second repair - 32 levels

Pick 2

Too Expensive!

That's right, Pick 2 could not be repaired at all.
    BreezyMan, Gawadrolt and EffinBatman like this.
  7. Has anyone else been burning through a lot of food since the update? It seems random, but sometimes my hunger bar goes down really fast. For example, before I could open Chrome and type this post, I went from full hunger to empty and taking damage.
    607 likes this.
  8. I know I've been eating a ton, I've been doing a ton though also, so hard to tell.
    BreezyMan likes this.
  9. I haven't noticed any over eating myself. If I'm not doing much the food bar doesn't just drop quick of anything.
    Gawadrolt likes this.

10. I know this was mentioned before the update. It seems like any time its mentioned on the forums though it is completely ignored. I want an eff V pick to finish clearing out my guardian farm as it will cut the time down DRASTICALLY over using my eff IV pick but I have no idea how to go about making an eff V pick now, let alone making one that I can repair at least once or twice. The auctions surrounding enchanted items don't address this issue either. Thankfully breezyman has been educating those that don't understand the mechanics. I have seen hi post on almost every enchanted item auction asking about details of the items, which has been really helpful.

If eff V picks are going to be a one time use now, that makes them WAY less valuable and will probably make them even more rare than they were before. This will probably make the price go up, as they will be impossible to find, even though they are next to useless when compared to 1.7 eff V picks. Which really sucks because in my 4 months-ish of playing minecraft they have saved me DAYS of time mining.
    markethan13 and BreezyMan like this.
  11. So RainbowChin PVP just ended....

And I was bored as heck throughout the entirety of it.

1.8 updates and pvp updates are putting a damper on my mood. Being unable to enchant what you want and having to sit for a minute before going back into the arena really sets in the boredom for me.

I don't really care if Aikar reverses everything back to the way it was, though. PVP and wilderness mob farming aren't priorities for me--they were luxuries. These luxuries are now highly boring or unappealing to me now, though... so I'll just focus on other aspects of EMC.
  12. Were natural spawn rates severely nerfed? One of my mob farms that relies on them is many times slower than it used to be. It has been almost an hour and I haven't reached 100 hostile mob spawns.
    ThaKloned likes this.
  13. Since we have updated? Or with the update?
  14. They must have been. Not sure why though. Only mobs that really needed to be dialed down were guardian mobs. 100k items and hour, as awesome as that is, is just too much.

After we updated to 1.8 the rates still seemed normal. This seems to have happened since less then a week ago. Every since the guardian mobs have had their rates reduced. At least for me anyways.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  15. Both haha. I hadn't been to this farm in about eight months.

Another thing is that my hostile mob count refused to go over ~90. It made it to 92, then went down to 90 and just sat there. There is only one animal in the area, so that is not a factor in the issue.
  16. I seem to remember that 90 is the local cap for monsters in general.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  17. It appears that this is the per player limit. All I know is that in 1.7.xx, I never had to wait long for many mobs to spawn, but now I do. I think others have mentioned that natural spawn rates seem to have dropped after a change to enraged mobs spawning in temples (if I am wrong please correct me). Maybe the code changes accidentally extended into something they shouldn't have?
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  18. bad no that will be an ultimate troll do it xD.
  19. No farm on EMC will get 100k items an hour... ever. The guardian farms on EMC MIGHT get 20k an hour but I really really doubt that, even before the mob nerf. Still quite a few but definitely not 100k. The most OP farm I have seen got about an average of 97k on VANILLA. EMC spawn rates are severely nerfed from vanilla even before the recent nerf that made it even worse. In vanilla minecraft you can actually die from mobs because more than 2-3 can attack you when you are running around at night. On emc, getting attacked by more than 2 at a time is rare, this is before the update.

Local cap is 250 and each player can have 90 mobs(as long as it stays within the 250 local) spawn within the area that mobs will spawn in on EMC. At least this is what I understand. Of course animals also go towards that 250 limit and I'm not sure if the other entities, items and armor stands, go towards it as well. I am almost certain that other entities like flowing water and hoppers do not count towards it.
  20. Anyone else having trouble with chicken cookers since 1.8?

Every single time I reload an area all chickens expand into containing glass or blocks and many die. I built a 11x11 holding container but it's still not enough to prevent the issue. I think in order to hold 70 chickens without constant deaths I'd have to go with a 25x25 storage unless this issues addressed.

I think Aikar also disabled the special 10 block range on egg laying EMC code (without being in water) during the update but I don't want to depend on that mechanic as he'll probably recode it soon to help with performance.