Empire Custom Mobs: Difficulty Survey

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Dec 19, 2013.

?

Lower difficulty of Enraged and Minibosses

Do not lower it at all, it would upset me a lot. 107 vote(s) 33.2%
Reduce by 25% (Both) 58 vote(s) 18.0%
Reduce by 50% (Both) 32 vote(s) 9.9%
Reduce by 75% (Both) 20 vote(s) 6.2%
Reduce Enraged by 25%, Minibosses by 40% 30 vote(s) 9.3%
Reduce Enraged by 50%, Minibosses by 70% 14 vote(s) 4.3%
Reduce Enraged by 75%, Minibosses by 90% 15 vote(s) 4.7%
Reduce Minibosses only by 25% 36 vote(s) 11.2%
Reduce Minibosses only by 55% 8 vote(s) 2.5%
Reduce Minibosses only by 75% 2 vote(s) 0.6%
  1. Personally I hate the new minibosses. I'm peacefully building in the wild when a Momentus comes to ruin my day. If you want to encourage building in the wild, ease up on the minibosses. Enraged mobs aren't so bad. Why not move the minibosses to the wastelands?
  2. That's exactly the reason I pointed it out. Technically, the majority do want something changed. It's just that the desire for that change is spread out among nine different choices, whereas "leave it the same" is actually the minority in this case, it just looks like the overwhelming vote because the majority won't be reaching a consensus.
    To illustrate:
    Basically I'm just saying the numbers are deceptive.

You're forgetting the part where they don't despawn*. If one spawns around your base, sooner or later you have to deal with it, even if you don't want to. And before you tell me to read your sig, not everyone is willing to invite strangers to their outpost / base / secret lair to deal with whatever's spawned on top of it. Particularly in the case of secret bases, lighting up the whole area isn't necessarily an option.

*EDIT: Okay, Marlix can get away from you, but Momentus does not.
  3. Guys like the people that want challenges like 2 bosses at the same time, just make the Dystopia super mob world with tons of mobs. And make a (regular world without the enraged mobs) so those noobys can play. We are trying to Welcome new players. If you don't agree, you don't agree.
  4. I saw a similar debate around the Terrariaonline forums, regarding Spectre Armor and Vampire Knives. They were both so terribly overpowered that everyone wanted them nerfed. The only argument against nerfing them was "if you don't like them, don't get them."

It's shocking that people actually think this is valid grounds for an argument. This isn't Dark Souls, and it never should have been. Minecraft is the ultimate casual game, played mostly by casual gamers—trying to appeal to the 'hardcore' crowd is the exact wrong thing to do. People are voting against nerfing these mobs simply because they've learned how to act as though they don't exist.

So what do you prefer, then? A feature you casually ignore, or something that actually adds enjoyment to your experience? Why are you voting against change when your only grounds is based around the fact that you dislike the system so much that you've learned to deal with it?

Also, for everyone who doesn't know, enraged mobs aren't the reason people come to EMC. I don't think EMC's advertisements even mention them. Don't go around saying that nerfing them ruins the unique EMC experience, because adding them ruins just as much.

Don't believe me? Go look at the Survival Update thread. If you think I'm biased, good for you, because I've never seen an enraged mob. Their balance is of no concern to me, all I see are facts.
  5. Momentus cannot see a player through walls. Most people that live out in the wilderness have fences around there base so mobs cannot come in anyway. Too what I have heard (correct me if I'm wrong) momentus can spawn AWNYWERE in the wilderness/wastelands in areas that have been explored by players.
    Marlix AND momentus can only spawn once ever hour or so. If aikar dose end up making bosses weaker People will still not bother fighting momentus because if the zombies that it summons. Don't forget the empire is unique for the challenge it has over 99% of any other Minecraft server you will find.
    fat_batman likes this.
  6. just saying some people who wants change want slight changes to the bosses and enraged want them mostly because they just want slight changes that make the fight less expensive in armor and items such as golden apples and potions. which could be solved through slight health changes. While anouther side of what you call the people who want change want a more severe change like yourself. just to put it straight your group is divide to much and cannot achieve the results you desire.
  7. There needs to be some challenge getting resources. You can basically one shot every mob with a sharp 5 sword.
    fat_batman likes this.
  8. good point momentus would be easy without the enraged that follow him. people direct so much hate on the gaint but not on the mob that makes it as powerful as it is.
    marine4121 likes this.
  9. (every one did kinda get a free sharpness5 sword lol )
    marine4121 likes this.
  10. Exactly.
  11. As Crazy1080 just said (ever so eloquently), that is NOT what drew me to EMC.
    It is however, part of the reasons that have driven me away. It was the main reason I allowed New Atlantia to go mostly derelict. All water under a burnt bridge at this point...

Fair to say, the "Terraria Update" has always been a sore-spot for me, and while I confess I probably should never have posted in this thread in the first place, it brings back all the frustration and anger I felt over having my enjoyment of the wilderness destroyed the first time around. Perhaps it's simply further proof that the Empire is no longer the place for me, and I need to accept that. However it's worth considering also that for every player like myself who spoke out against the Update, how many simply threw up their hands and left, or retreated to town?
    The majority may be fractured in its specific opinion, but it's still the majority.
  12. How dose minibosses have a effect in the town? Changing there health isnt going to have an effect on them. Like i said its the enraged zombies that make the momentus as strong as itself. Getting resources is simple run out get what you need and get back to the outpost. If you mining and a miniboss spawns it will not draw you in. If your getting wood and a miniboss spawns run back to spawn and go to a new outpost.

I dont see why you would go out 1k to get wood while your going past 100 forests. Most outposts have a forest near them anyways. When I got my first miniboss i was mining at the one west outpost on smp4. When my first momentus spawned i ignored it because I know it would kill me. Then I a marlix spawned in a village. I called nick over to kill it because I knew i might have died while killing it. One the way back in my full iron and diamond unenchanted sword i found another one after killing the marlix with nick. I killed it easily. Now I love mini bosses because of what they drop.
  13. Well… here are my final thoughts about this and I won't post any more about the subject. I have been playing on EMC for about a year and I enjoy it. I think of EMC as mostly as a economy/building/creative type server. No I do not think it is a true survival server… because Town is protected. I think EMC is cool but I can't help notice usually there are about 100 players on a good night.

I won't mention the name, but I also play on a PVP server that has regularly over 5000 players.

If I was Aikar I would think long and hard on how to attract and retain new players. Honestly, I don't think 100 die hard players are enough to support the time and effort, he is putting into EMC.
  14. There are a few of you in this thread who keep explaining how to avoid/take care of the bosses/enraged. While your strategies and techniques are helpful, that's not the point. Just because it's POSSIBLE to survive them, doesn't mean everyone WANTS to. It's inconvenient having to deal with these things. And this is not limited to "noobs." Kephras and other less vocal members are in no way noobs. As was suggested in the original thread, I think that limiting all these more intense survival mobs to only the wastelands, leaving everyone who enjoy the wild with a safer place to build, explore, and experience the more traditional, less competitive feel of classic minecraft.
    Crazy1080 and ChrisPaperX like this.
  15. Do not lower it at all, it would upset me a lot.
    I've chosen that answer, for the one reason that Minecraft vanilla wilderness is too easy, i mean Enraged Creepers and such, they are easy to take down, if you go in with perhaps a little dedication. For the bosses, the bosses are there to be very hard to beat, look at other game, it's allways the bosses that troubles you and give you a hard time.

marine4121 likes this.
  16. I think it we lowered to mobs slightly it would hurt too much, but don't lower their power too much or it will spoil the challenge of trying to kill them.
  17. Looks like there is def some strong lean towards keeping the difficulty the same...

I think I will let this run through the weekend just to get the most feedback, but I think our best solution here is to leave difficulty alone for most part (well momentus maybe needs some tweaking but not flat out nerfing, as people shouldnt have to die as much as im hearing to kill him), and then look into abilities to more so "opt out.

Things like flags for never having custom mobs spawn near you (But wont prevent existing ones) and making mini bosses ignore you until you initiate an attack on them.
  18. The giant itself isn't too bad. It's those annoying zombies it summons, they are way to overpowered compared to the rest of the enraged mobs.
  19. Its nice that your asking the community about there opinion, i really liked that :)
    607 likes this.
  20. I haven't faced a miniboss, but the enraged mobs can be tough if you aren't properly equipped. What I do when I'm not outfitted to fight them is to log off and watch the livemap until it's daytime again before I log back on. There's no reason why anyone can't do this and therefore it's not necessary to make it easier for people. If you're properly equipped with armor and a nice sword (the Thanksgiving Turkey Slicer works great) then there aren't any enraged mobs you can't take--especially if you have water nearby that you can jump into.