EMC New Permanent Ban Stance

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by IcecreamCow, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That is so wrong. Sorry. People should see this, and be happy, and not worry at all. Since this is about illegal mods, anyone who worries about being banned from five days ago should reconsider how honestly they play the game on this server.

Edit: When i mentioned illegal mods, i meant that they have been seeing who is using them for the past five days.
    Pab10S and Twitch1 like this.
  2. Why should we give the cheaters who broke the rules any special "consideration" ?

Are we suppose to be like "Yeah your lucky you get away with it and get nothing in terms of punishment".

EVERYONE was warned to not cheat or you will lose it all with a permanent ban -- The warning has always been there, just we've been too lenient. Well that is changed now. The warning that you all agreed to when you signed up is now going to have serious merit.
  3. This is to go with the current tools that were being used. This was semi in discussion before then. Just recent events warranted that it become a retroactive implementation. While this may almost seem cruel, it needed to be done. The biggest reason, that a stream of recent events made the little "niceness" loophole evident. And those that had been punished that fell under this new rule, were not there long. We all, as a team, discussed the negative backlash for implementing this retroactively, and decided the pros outwieghed the cons.
  4. Off-topic: Have I just blindly missed the fact that you are a moderator, or were you "hired" recently?
    If so, congratulations :)
  5. pretty unfair for you :(
  6. EMC is does not have the protection from Double Jeopardy. They prosecute on the basis of Evidence alone. Everyone is innocent until Proven guilty. I imagine the staff will review any of the perma-bans from the last 5 days; but in all reality...

1. They were already going to be banned forever so the new "stance" doesn't effect them

2. Only those that actually successfully appeal their ban are given a second chance.

Not condemning anybody, but these people DID break the rules in some way, shape, or form. If they wish to come back - they should just be gracious that they get a second chance.

Most importantly of all - and yes it is in all caps...

NO NEW RULES WERE ADDED!!!

This is my case, I am sticking to it. Good day and good night

Edit: I made a mistake on this. I have crossed it out, and I guess my original intent was that no rules were changed or added.... Just the punishment method. I am sticking with that the people who have been perma-banned in the last 5 days, should feel fortunate that they have the opportunity to come back at all
  7. I still don't agree with the whole retroactive part of it, but I certainly believe you guys discussed it and made what you felt was the best choice. The moderators on EMC are the fairest mods I've seen anywhere.
    Pab10S likes this.
  8. semi-recently... 8 days ago
  9. I don't believe this was the only reason. There has been a decline in the discipline standard by the moderators recently, and many people who would have once been permanently banned straight away are now getting away with it. The rule is no cheating. Why should they get a second chance with all their stuff that they acqurired using hacks? Clean start, or no start, in my opinion. But yeah, people have been speaking up and finally we are being listened to.
  10. Yay! Now cheaters will reconsider their motives/actions since its a reset on appeal . Oh and what does the word "retroactive" mean?
  11. I know Off-Topic but this came to my mind
    Homer being a helicopter parent :)

ON-Topic
  12. Ive rethought about this idea, I like it, If I somehow get ban *Hope I never do* I think the idea of restarting would be a nice idea. This might come out wrong but, This would scare players into behaving better?
    jaqiefox and ISMOOCH like this.
  13. basically means that we are setting the rule in affect in the past. So while it is publicly announced today, it is actually in effect 5 days ago, in the past.
  14. wow, so 9 pages in i'm sure someone has asked this... so if someone receives a perm ban and they appeal and if it's determined that the reason for the ban was not valid and was a mistake, i'm assuming that person won't be subject to this same thing?
  15. This is hit on multiple times throughout the thread

Give me a moment and I will paste some good quotes for you. Its been covered nicely. Or... you could read in probably the time it takes me to find it :p.
  16. I hope not. It wouldn't make sense to punish someone for something they didn't do.
    Innocent until proven guilty.
  17. From what I've read they don't automatically reset everything until the situation is fully investigated. So if you and I went out and I claimed you pvp'd me and gave evidence they wouldn't just go "Oh, ban and automatically reset sgx2000's stuff." They would investigate and then if it turns out you really did, THEN everything would be reset. If you didn't then they would be like "Ok, all is well." and let you go with your stuff.
    Pab10S likes this.
  18. This should sum up your question in some good answer forms. Also update those who wish the same question answered this late in the thread. Also Panda's answer is plenty accurate for the point to be shown.
  19. The resetting of the lots, inventory and rupees would only happen if the appeal is successful and a second chance is given. If a player was found to be innocent of the infractions they were banned for, they would suffer no repercussions, and they would be unbanned with apologies and appropriate recompense.
    Pab10S, ZBSDKryten, penfoldex and 4 others like this.
  20. This is win. I think it levels the punishment exactly where it needs to be. Great decision! Awesomeness abounds with ya'll lately!
    southpark347 and R0bbieJo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.