EMC New Permanent Ban Stance

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by IcecreamCow, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If you are banned and they investigate they will find out whether or not you truly did do the offense or not. If it is proven that you are guilty and you are allowed to come back then your things will be reset.

If it is proven that you are innocent then you're able to come back and all your stuff won't be reset.

Edit: Chicken'd

Pab10S likes this.
  2. I am proud of you! Just saying...
    ignoramoose and christina80 like this.
  3. :rolleyes:
  4. Huh, there are many issues here.

ICC, I think the picture with the angry nun is not appropriate. It shads wrong light on the issue -
    as if you (or "staff") were trying to establish or represent a (questionable?) moral authority and values
    (possibly as Gods proxy) and rule and punish according to it - in further connection with
    "We reserve the right to terminate any account entirely, ..." from "Terms of Service."
    I assume you did not mean that.

I've written few things in another thread (http://empireminecraft.com/posts/266415/).
    I'd emphasize / add -

(*)
    No one here has the authority to investigate, prosecute and/or punish a person.

Exclusion of an account from service (a ban) has to be according to the civil laws and
    the terms of service. Remember, you can not deprive anyone from her/his (basic) rights
    (for example freedom of speech), even if the person concedes that to you in a signed
    contract. Banning someone to prevent imminent danger / offense (to the service
    and its participants) is of course needed. To ban someone to "cool down" or as a
    punishment would be IMO not legal.

To punish a player in-game, because she/he has somehow broken the contract
    with Kalland Labs is IMO very questionable. I think things are mixed up here
    that shouldn't be.

The idea that comes to me as a possible solution is to let the playing community
    decide about the rules of the game that can include a kind of punishment in the
    game, like a "jail".
    I've written about it in a posting, but now I'm not able to find it again(!?!)
    Does anyone remember seeing that posting?
    Is it possible the some (recent) postings got lost?

* Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, this is not a legal advice.
  5. Your sense of humor is very low if you think that nun is god proxys. The jokes is toward Catholic nuns being real strict in private schools
  6. It's obvious you aren't.

Kalland Labs is a privately held corporation. If it was decided that the word purple was a bannable word, so be it. It's legal. There's no civil laws stopping it. If I own a company on the corner, and I don't want an individual to enter my premises, I can notify them of that and they can be prosecuted for doing so. Direct copy from the law:

The licensee or the licensee’s responsible person can bar a person from the licensed premises for any of the following
    reasons:
    • The person behaves in an offensive or disorderly manner
    • The person commits an offence
    • The licensee or responsible person believes that the welfare
    of the person or the person’s family is seriously at risk as a
    result of the consumption of alcohol by the person
    • Any other reasonable ground.

And here's a handy overview http://www.ehow.com/facts_7194728_legal-business-ban-person-property.html
  7. This is a classic example of someone completely misunderstanding how things work.

This is a service provided by Kalland Labs. It is down to Kalland Labs who has access to their service and who doesn't.

If Kalland Labs want to remove access to EMC from a person, there is nothing that person can do about it. EMC is on servers paid for by Kalland Labs and as such, they have final say over who can use the resources of those servers.

There is nothing complicated about this:

You screw up, you're out.
  8. Soo many people thinks this is a good idea (including me)
    But when they get banned, and make a appeal then they will rage for sure and when that happens Ill go over to a corner and laugh untill I pass out :)
    PandasEatRamen and marknaaijer like this.
  9. Haha, if you are just following the rules nothing will go wrong!
    Pab10S, PandasEatRamen and R0bbieJo like this.
  10. I hope no one takes offense to this - whatever if you do...

This is just a game. Don't take it so seriously, sure I have spent some of my own money on this game, but I only take it so far.

Even though all 10 of the commandments are equally important; my favorite is the 10th. If you can't remember which one that is. Go to empire.us/guide
  11. I have been banned on few servers where the owner was a 12year old kid. I got banned for some stupid reasons =P

So it can go wrong sometimes =P But gladly we don't have abusive 12year old staff here on EMC :)
    PandasEatRamen and marknaaijer like this.
  12. What's most important commandment out of all of them: Thou Shall have Fun :D
  13. I got banned once, for this reason:
    Server chat:
    marknaaijer: This server is failing very badly!
    *You have been kicked*
    *Joins server again*
    marknaaijer: lol
    *The ban hammer has spoken!*
    Pab10S, PandasEatRamen and Xandrow like this.
  14. As has been stated many times so far, THIS IS A GAME!

It is a free game that you CHOOSE to play and you CHOOSE to play by the rules the owner puts forward. All of these rules are clearly displayed on the website and open for your viewing pleasure 24/7.

If you dont agree with those rules, then by all means it is your free right to CHOOSE to no longer play on these servers, but i assure you it is very hard to find a server as well maintained, structured and moderated as EMC is!

I've looked....

[btw... again those new rules are very fair and awesome, good job!]
    ZBSDKryten and PandasEatRamen like this.
  15. No.
    Being privately held corporation does not give you any rights to deprive people of basic rights given by statute and other relevant laws. No company has right to offend, insult, troll, prosecute, punish people, etc.

Sure, that's what I quoted, Kalland Labs has reserved right to terminate an account - according to terms defined under "Terms and Services," which are part of the contract with each user.

Read your quote from the law again.
    Now how you would deduce from that that a company could decide that a word like "purple" is a bannable word (or commit any other offense)?

NB: reasonable!

I understand that very well. IIUC, this thread was not meant for anyones amusement. And IMO, this joke is not appropriate for that distinct posting.

And what have I written?
    This is a classic example of posting before reading with comprehension.

A legal contract is not a game. Hurting people wouldn't be a game either.

So my suggestion is - let's distinguish between in-game and outside of the game, let's try not to mix that two worlds.
    Let's try to think this through in calm and educated manner.
    I'm quite sure a good solution can be found.
  16. I, I uh, I...
    ...What?
    mba2012 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  17. * walks off from the Argument at hand has better stuff to do and not worth my time.
  18. Moose is absolutely correct. I privately held corporation can do whatever they like to prevent who they want from using their service within the law, including using the word purple, among many other things that would seem prejudicial. We wouldn't do that because, it's horrible, but we could if we wanted and would be within the bounds of the law.
    Pab10S, ZBSDKryten, mba2012 and 5 others like this.
  19. Getting hurt by having your account banned? Butthurt maybe.
  20. Under what you're saying, every MMO effectively breaks "your laws"... They can ban anyone for any reason they see fit, the ban is for in game behaviour therefore they're banned from the game... Am I missing something here?...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.