EMC New Permanent Ban Stance

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by IcecreamCow, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commandment 11: Thou shalt not say purple. It's in the grey text on the guide.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  2. Purple
    fight the power
    luffy-worth-it-meme.jpg
  3. Dangit you guys, always making me spit drink on my computer xD

I'm so lost as to what MM is saying. I could swear I have seen his posts before seeming to be Ok with all that has gone on and actions taken and now suddenly EMC is in the wrong?

Also Isn't Kalland Labs Justin's company? Kalland is his last name. Justin owns EMC....? Just you know...putting that out there for MM.
    IamSaj, Dwight5273 and JackBiggin like this.
  4. I thought his last name was Guy... :eek:
    KarlisKrazy, IamSaj and Dwight5273 like this.
  5. I think that this is an okay rule. However, I don't think that wiping out a player's money is fair. It's especially unfair to supporters, in my opinion. I'm not trying to exclude supporters in this rule. I think supporters should have this rule applied to them as well, which it is. Just not the part where their money gets wiped out. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as it is possible, but...

When a player pays real life money to this game they are paying for perks such as making higher daily bonuses in game. Now over time those daily bonuses add up in game. So say a supporter screwed up and accidentally downloaded an illegal fly mod (oh noes!). That is against the rules so that supporter gets permanently banned. They appeal and they get back on the game, but they know that now their residences, items, and money have been wiped out. So now the player is asking themselves "What is it that I have now that I payed real life money for?". The answer is nothing. All of that real life money that was basically converted to fake in game money is now gone. There goes that real life money down the drain; all from an accident.

I understand that being permanently banned as a supporter and not coming back is the same thing as this scenario, where they just wasted real life money. But they somehow did that to themselves if they weren't able to appeal. But downloading an illegal mod by accident and not actually using it and still getting permanently banned for it is different. Yeah they could have been more careful, but at least allow them to keep the in game money that they payed for.

I hope that made a point; the point that accidents happen and if the part of the rule that their money gets wiped out is still active, people have wasted real life money. Money that honestly could be going to better things than games. That's a person's choice though. Don't forget though; you can still correct me if I'm wrong. I've been known to be wrong in some cases. xP

(This makes it seem like I have been permanently banned and have come back in an unhappy way (lawl), but no, that's not the case. I've never been banned. I just feel that this type of thing has happened before where a player was banned from an accident.)
  6. My uncles first name is Guy.
  7. Actually this is pretty fair considering Rupee Bonus:

and in The Guide it states:

Diamond Supporters get 1,300 sign in bonus so they can pretty much gain what they lost back fairly quickly if they follow these steps. Also if members are given a second chance it's stated they have to come back and work their way back up just like everyone had to do when starting out. So 1,500 is the starter amount from going through the tutorial.
  8. If a player is banned and it's wrong, we won't instantly reset their issues. We do full research first of course. The one part I disagree with however, is this part of your sentence:

I'm a very very lenient dude when it comes to things and give benefit of the doubt almost always...but there are things like this I can't do that with. It's impossible to download a cheat mod, install it to your MC client and knowingly use it in a game by accident. There's way to many steps involved for it to be an "oops". The entire things require you to realize what you're doing.
    Pab10S, M4nic_M1ner, IamSaj and 4 others like this.
  9. In my opinion, it makes more sense that supporters would have more consequences for breaking the rules. The majority of supporters have at least read the guide, so they have no excuses.

Also, I don't think it's possible to accidentally download Nodus or what have you... did your finger slip? Either way, it was the player's decision to download the mod, install the mod, then proceed to use it on EMC. That can't be an accident.

Everyone who uses illegal MODs does so of their own free will.
    *EDIT*
    ICC may be a ninja.
    Pab10S, IamSaj, Cchiarell6914 and 3 others like this.
  10. That's kinda what I thought when she was typing that up. (We're siblings)
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  11. You all have reasonable points. The "did you finger slip?" joke makes sense. You do have to work to get them on your game. I'm sure it's also possible that a devious friend could put it on there for you without you knowing, but then of course why did you have you computer unlocked for the friend to do that. Things are possible so accidents are also possible.

If somehow something like that would have been an accident, would they still have spent all that real life money to then have to continue to spend more real life money to gain all the in game money back?
  12. Well, with that respect, we know false-positives can happen, so if it happens one or two times and then never again, the person will likely be okay. So, if a friend did put it on your account (still unlikely to me though, I never went to a friend's house in my life and said: "Mwhahahaahaha, I'm going to install mods on his game, that'll show him!"), you would know almost right away something was wrong and have time to remove them for continuing play. :)
  13. This might be the only reason I love EMC is cuz of ICC's humor. lmao

Edit: He's made me lol countless times.

Edit 2: I mean an admin on a game that can laugh and have fun with players is awesome.
  14. You have no rights. This isn't public domain. This is a private corporation, and just like any other private entity, you don't have ground to stand on. My house is a private entity (property), without my permission do you think you have any rights in it? To be honest, under the law for most of America, a person can use deadly force to defend against a intruder, and that's about as high up of a "rights violation" as I can think of. Found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

To answer all of these. If you'd read the law (which you haven't), you'd find that reasonable is defined by the company. A movie theater can define it reasonable to throw you out if you yell, do you see a football stadium doing so? Public entities generally follow guidelines set to make sure they avoid suit, private entities can do as they please. To quote the following site "What most Americans generally don't know is that the Constitution doesn't apply to private corporations at all." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123024596 or http://www.aclufl.org/take_action/download_resources/info_papers/12.cfm since npr has some polictics behind it. These are both for their employees, do you think a customer has more rights? Give google a call and ask them if they can ban you from gmail - they've done it to whole countries!

I honestly am unable to understand what makes you think you are given rights to a private entity? So you're supposed to be able to just login anywhere on the internet (secure sites included)? In the real world you can go into a persons house without permission?

If you want to keep it educated as you claim, show some sources :)
    Pab10S, JackBiggin, IamSaj and 7 others like this.
  15. I know what Bugmo1207 is referring to and in this case it was me who put the mod on the minecraft client... we live in the same house and the laptop was used by me. The purpose for me installing the mod was explained to Aikar, which is that I used to be a mod on another server and we needed the mod... but when I gave the laptop to this user I never took the mod off and frankly didn't even think about it... and then the player being referred to accidently used the mod.

and although Bugmo is awesome, I don't think losing the rupees is a big deal.... rupees are easy to earn in the game and can easily be earned again. I've fixed this player's minecraft client... mainly because the harddrive crashed and I had to install a new one so there are no longer ANY mods, legal or illegal. I also got all the mods (both legal and illegal) removed from my own client on my computer because I had to reset my minecraft to get the Forge and Schematic mod loaded.

Trust me when I say that neither myself nor the player Bugmo is referring to are geniuses when it comes to loading mods... so all of this took much reading online to figure out how to do. The whole situation has resolved itself by getting the clients reset so that, as they say, is that.

BTW, please don't PM me asking for help on removing mods... because I suck at explaining how to do things. If the computer is in front of me then I can figure it out but that's about it.
    Pab10S and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  16. OMG!! Tsk tsk sgx!! :p Btw I had no idea you two lived together. And to think all four of us have been buddies on EMC all this time! lol jk
  17. I don't think it's a big deal loosing rupees in general. I think it's a big deal loosing rupees that you basically spent real life money on by paying for the higher rupee bonus perk. Real life money isn't easy to come by these days if you know what I mean. xD

But it's alright; ICC made a good point and a funny one at that, so I'll leave it at that. :)
  18. Yep :) Well, the other server... which doesn't exist anymore btw... was a lot like this one and it had Bukkit and the mods were told to put the fly mod and some other mods on so they could be mods. But trust me, I was only a mod because I worked with the guy who made the server, not because I'm some sort of genius or could do the things that Aikar and Maxarias do. This was all pre-us joining EMC and we actually found EMC after that other server crashed. So we never would've met had I not worked with a guy who showed me minecraft and asked me to help moderate his server.
    topdawg657 likes this.
  19. christina didn't spend any real money though, all that money comes out of my paypal account LOL

so if someone was gonna be upset it should be me :p
    topdawg657 likes this.
  20. *facepalm*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.