EMC Community Appreciation - Launch & Introduction

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlexC__, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What if for the recognision thing there was a rank called something that shows that thay are trustworthy and can help. This way when that player posts something or are ingame, players will see that they can ask questions and get reliable help from that player.
  2. I don't think a rank is completely necessary. Something ICC brought up while discussing this new project was the idea that a player could win but step out of line and get banned later on down the road. Although this isn't a big enough deterrent to cancel the project altogether, it should be big enough to prevent the winners earning a special rank. :)
    Players can ask anyone for help, they don't need to have a special rank. :)
    hashhog3000 and PenguinDJ like this.
  3. Like many others have said, I would like to see useful items rather than Rupees as awards for this. No one has suggested a Dragon Egg prize yet. Although they are currently a rich prize, their value can be expected to decline once the Tombs are implemented. If there is a way to give them a name and still have their special abilities intact, that would be cool.

Regarding concerns that people won't act sincerely: this has a 6 month period. Many of us won't be thinking about this thread a week from now. Six months is a long time in MC/EMC land. If anything, it's probably too long of a period, since some people don't even last six months here.

I don't see any way to do this without having some elements of a popularity contest. As someone pointed out, the very behaviors that are being rewarded inherently will make someone popular. If nominations are not anonymous and require a reason, abuses will be obvious if the Staff are reviewing cases well. I view the act of nominating someone as being similar to "Liking" a post, or thanking them publicly in Town chat. If I see someone doing something nice, I would like to see them rewarded.

I think those who are worthy that frequent the Forums are going to be somewhat obvious. I especially would like to have a way to nominate someone in game. Those who don't use the Forums would have access and I could do it right when I'm thinking of it and not forget. A chat command like we use for Reporting: "/nominate niceguy123 Helped me get my equipment back when I died.", might work.
    607, mba2012, hashhog3000 and 4 others like this.
  4. Good points, particularly the 6-month period. Perhaps 3 months would be more appropriate. Being able to initiate a nomination in-game would probably be the better method, but I believe Minecraft's short text limit could be problematic that way. Rather, using /nominate [name] or similar could pull up a system-message link for that person, which would take them to the appropriate webpage with the member's name already filled in.
    ...Maybe that'd be too much code? Core principle though, the command should refer someone to the nomination web page, rather than submit the nomination on the spot. It's an extra hoop to jump through perhaps, but people who feel their benefactor deserves the nomination will be willing to go through with it, while "lolz, ur awesome /nominate" submissions would be less likely. ;)
  5. Just to be completely open with the nomination process, here's how much info you will be asked for (not saying more won't be automatically logged):

We'll be able to easily detect false names and reasons using the tools that the staff have - as well as "denominate" any false nominations.

We'll also be able to ban anyone who attempts to abuse the system from all future nominations very easily and effectively.
    mba2012, hashhog3000, Pab10S and 3 others like this.
  6. There is a vast range of bad things that we can imagine and in addition to that even more of bad things we can't even imagine at the moment.
    And we all are imperfect, mortal people.

But to worry about that and to let these worries influence decisions and actions is a far, far bigger problem.
    If you try to avoid bad things out of anxiety, especially if you're restricting freedoms and braking development, in the long term, you will cause far more harm than benefit.
    That would be a type of paranoia and/or anxiety problem and can be symptom of depression.
    It is infectious (I'm not joking!) and a whole (or significant part of) community / society can catch it and suffer from it.

If you notice signs of this problem ... well, I don't really know what would be the best thing to do, perhaps someone else here knows? :confused:

EDIT: Some medicine that comes into mind: love, tolerance, trust, good will, positive thinking, recognition, nonviolent communication...

http://www.cnvc.org/
  7. Bribing can also some into play, and then the player that was bribed, can describe false activity about that player.
  8. Which is why nominations are reviewed by staff before even counting for anything. :)
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  9. I take it there will be a limit on how many people we nominate. Will it be only one, or a number like three or five?
    hashhog3000 and xI_LIKE_A_PIGx like this.
  10. There is a limit, yes. Currently, it's more than one, but less than three.
    PenguinDJ and xI_LIKE_A_PIGx like this.
  11. I guess just saying "two" would spoil all your fun..? ;)
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  12. Yes >: ( :p
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  13. How have I not heard of this?
  14. I could do the web side of that. Not sure if Aikar could (or would want to) do the in-game part.
  15. Just to be clear, are the nomination forms up yet or will you post them at a later time?
  16. http://emc.jackbiggin.me/ca/ :)

The form is locked until the first nomination period starts.
  17. :O bedrock!?!?!
  18. Bootstrap! :D hehe
  19. Hopefully. :)
  20. I think you just have a special dirt block. Be all like " EVERYBODY! Look at my dirt! "
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.