EMC Community Appreciation - Launch & Introduction

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlexC__, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It would be quite the prize.
  2. Alex, I have not had access to a computer since I have been out of town, so I just wanted to clarify what I meant by that statement. I realize that other prizes have been chosen instead, which is good.
  3. Things like "Employee of the Month". :)
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  4. What about those players who do great things for the empire but hardly get noticed?
    607, Kephras and xI_LIKE_A_PIGx like this.
  5. It's a novel idea, and I like the thought behind it at least. :) I think the main concern about "popularity" stems from the notion that, if someone is actively meeting the criteria you're looking for, they're also more likely to be one of the "popular" people as well, simply by virtue of that fact. There are exceptions of course, but the forums and website are only a percentage of the community, this is something you'd need to get the word out for in-game, so that Average Joe knows he can nominate someone who helped him out, even if they've never been to the EMC website since signing up.

Hm... serious suggestions.
    • A signed book from "EMC" or similar. Basically just a nicely formatted certificate that says you're awesome.
    • A "Custom" firework. Chickeneer showed me some intriguing "EMC-Firework" prototypes, perhaps if it's still possible to obtain these through the code, one could be given out. Or in a similar vein, a "Community Recognition" firework with fancy description and all, with its own unique firework attributes.
    • A unique tool, in the vein of the 60k items. Not necessarily godly - perhaps something like a Golden Hoe with Unb. V (I know for a fact gold hoes wear out in record time) and a special description.
    • A renamed Eye of Ender, something with a description to reflect that they "watch out for" the community. Eh, maybe this one's a stretch.

Hit "Use BB Code Editor" in the top-right if it's giving you trouble. It's not pretty, but sometimes the text needs a little manual tweaking to get right, when it misbehaves.
  6. Prize? If you could place it, they would be richer than anyone with all the original dragon eggs!1!!
    (i need dis o3o)
  7. You'd also never be able to get it back...
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  8. Psh... I would still feel rich...
    607 likes this.
  9. Thanks a lot for your input. I like your suggestions and will bring them up with the other staffies.
    I'm hoping to get Aikar to create an in-game announcement for us when the time comes (in a few days) and when the next round begins but that's not a given. The forums are where a lot of the community actually comes together, so it doesn't hurt for this to be the place where people gain their respect.

If the project doesn't go to plan after this coming round, no one is nominated enough or for the right reasons it'll be a shame but at least we tried. :)
    That's up the players to nominate these guys, then we will watch them and how they help out. Literally ANYONE can "win", we just need some help from the guys that nominate to allow them to.
    Kephras likes this.
  10. I think at least something like 50,000 rupees should be given to the player who wins, plus the bedrock block and the renamed armour like cordial said.

Or, it could be the 50k, the bedrock block and then a few items, like a set of armour selected by the winning player and renamed by the staff with special message.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  11. I disagree. While the point of this, in so far as I understand it, is to reward outstanding members of the community, doing so to the degree you suggest is basically bribery, and tends to invite the wrong sort of "altruism." You get too many people who are doing it just for the reward, convincing their friends to vote them up with promises to split the take, and in general it has kinda the opposite effect from what you're trying to achieve. Short version: you have too many people who are only acting because they want/expect to be rewarded, instead of people who are just genuinely helpful.

The philosophy here is "being generous, kind, considerate, and helpful to your fellow players is its own reward," and what Alex, et al. are trying to do is come up with a way to recognize these people for being outstanding among their peers. Something suitable and special, but nothing that will breed resentment among the players who didn't win.
    M4nic_M1ner, 607, AlexChance and 3 others like this.
  12. Maybe something like PenguinDJ's Helmet of Sacrifice. Players could pick their enchants (within reason) up to 1 level above max. So, I could request a Sharpness 6 Looting 4 Diamond Sword renamed PenguinDJ's Sword of Extreme awesomeness, but I couldn't request a sharpness 100 sword.

Oh, and they are soulbound :p
    And finalized.
    mba2012 and Kephras like this.
  13. I imagine something like that would also have to be Soulbound and Final, but it's a brilliant suggestion.
    Sadly, I can only "like" your post once.
    mba2012 and PenguinDJ like this.
  14. You were 1/2 ninja'd. :DDDDDDD
  15. To be honest I'd prefer if it wasn't "Final" anyway, but I'm operating on the assumption it'd have to be, for "reasons."
    I think it'd be much better if we could actually make use of, and repair, a "unique personal item" and thus treat it as more than a keepsake with a finite lifespan. I know if I were to get, say, "Platemail of Kephras," I'd be afraid to wear it for fear it would eventually be used up and break.
    Pab10S and PenguinDJ like this.
  16. Yeah, I agree. With the 60k items, they could be improved even further (I think) so they had to on that.
  17. That is what this is for. People will be nominated and Staff will sort through them. I doubt the same people will win all the time.

Ever see on the news/read about people getting those Good Samaritan awards and being declared heroes and such?
    "This man raised thousands of dollars for his own treatment because he's disabled and instead donated it all to a children's hospital" He'll more than likely get a plaque or something, There's also the little girl who saved her mom's life when she had a seizure/stroke by slapping her in the face with pizza and whatnot.

Not to sound like a jerk but uh...what? >.> If we accidentally placed it how would we get it back since we can't mine it?
    PenguinDJ, mba2012 and Kephras like this.
  18. That's what I was thinking too O.O
    607 and mba2012 like this.
  19. Well, if we make this a more official thing down the line, we might be able to do something like the Original Dragon Eggs.
  20. Gimme 4 original DG and one bedrock, I will never post on the forums with this account again :p
    mba2012 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.