EMC Banner Ad Contest!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jan 15, 2014.

1. On behalf of joshyrocks13 I hacked imgur XD
    this is his image:

for reference: when posting something as a URL from imgur just copy the section from the start of http:// to the end of the .png

joshyrocks13, you were missing the .png when I inspected your post :)
    joshyrocks13 likes this.
  2. Hoping I have enough time to enter, new semester about to start

I am really good with Photoshop

Never done a gif before though
  3. You are using the Direct Link, right?
  4. How long is the gif allowed to last before it reloops?
  5. Is "Legit Survival Server" necessary? Doesn't sound very professional.
    Jcplugs likes this.
  6. Just make sure it doesn't sound like "Grief freely in town + shops" Because that's what it sounded like the first time I read it.
  7. Why do you think that? That proclaims that you must earn your items and not given to you freely (Well beyond sporadic drop parties)

Some players think having things legit based is a big deal.
  8. For a more professional touch you could change it to legitimate I'd imagine :)
    _Stads_ and amadai like this.
  9. Okay, I've used GIMP plenty before but never tried to make an animation with it. (animations honestly aren't my strong suit)

But in the spirit of learning and practice I decided to give it a shot. Here is my entry:

EMC-Banner-airlynx99.gif
    cadgamer101, amadai and AlexChance like this.
  10. Not sure if it just me however when it goes to 'Survival Wilderness' and up until 'Come Join Us' there are little white corners on the right side of the image, as if they are completing the rectangle. Again could just be me but I thought I'd mention it for a fix perhaps :D
    amadai, Kells18 and xothis_dwarf like this.
  11. It's just a semi-transparent layer that hangs past the edge of the rounded border.
  12. I thought Gimp was very hard at first too, but I did one basics tutorial and now I can do almost anything I need to do with Gimp. It has a lot of features. o_o Adobe illustrator is the best for gif stuff, but I can't figure it out. So Gimp it is for me!
  13. My Submission

14. You have a typo on servers in bottom right.

It shows up though specially on dark background: http://screencloud.net/v/v7sC
    Def would need that cleaned up.
    I meant in how you have to organize layers and naming, its not a very intuitive process.

Plus previewing and such is all over the place. Theres no way to figure out how to make GIF's w/o a guide, where as a proper UI for it would help a ton, with GIF related things being organized together.
  15. Also I'm extending the contest by 3 days. I targeted this date as one of our paid banners is about to run out, and wanted to replace with new, but I guess we can go a few days without.
  16. also I've edited the request to be more "try to use EMC colors". If you want, submit a more brighter image like the one linked in the post (Cousin Mosquito's old one).

This brighter image has improved our click through rate by 3x over the old one we were using on ads, so its worth considering bright images too.

you may submit multiple choices, so if you want to try your shots at a lighter themed banner, go for it!
  17. Should already be cleaned up in the original post
  18. Suggestion on 2nd one, include 2 messages per frame like the first one. attention span/viewing window of the ad is short, so getting the points to them quicker and seeing the slide animation would be ideal.
    amadai likes this.
  19. Also, guessing you can't cut down on file size due to the varying BG images. They look good, but many sites limit ad size :/
  20. Aikar, if you can, you should probably mention how much delay the banners should have. :eek: In case some are too fast or too slow. My two that I've made are on 2000 millisecond delay. Here are my submissions for the contest:

I did two different frames because I was thinking that the stripey frame might be a little too much. Keep in mind, I can tweak these, edit them, or change the frame delay if I need to. o_o