EMC Banner Ad Contest!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jan 15, 2014.

1. larger:

I just noticed to two triangles in the green square texture at both bottom corners of the layer.. I can fix those if you do decide you like these gifs
  2. Lets see, how do i make a gif? If anybody knows quote this and put a link\
  3. Please fix, like I said even if a banner doesn't win we might still use it.

Also - to everyone: For best results try to keep the play.emc.gs showing the entire animation.

For yours amadai, maybe put it on top of the logo with a background box?
  4. I doubt I will make it to the deadline, but I'm going to be doing my banner over from scratch, and I'm gonna try my hand at using adobe illustrator. I will submit the new version to you at some point in the future.

By the way, is it okay to use resourcepack images? Like, I have a screenshot that was shot with Sphax Bdcraft equipped as a resourcepack, can this be used or is it like... false advertisement or something?

One more question. How often are these banner contests? I might make a few for the next contest. I like making banners. :eek:
  5. I have deleted my last post - I will add a new one with the 3 that I currently submitted with one or two other ideas I had :)
  6. Shrink the logo and move it down a bit, and place the address on top? What do you mean by bg box?
  7. No image:

Image V1:

Image V2:

play.emc.gs constantly in the gif with image V1:

play.emc.gs constatnly in the gif with image V2:

Take a look through those and see what you like.. Any improvements to be made then just reply to this :p
  8. 캡처.PNG
  9. Oh I did :D
  10. Okay, if it's not too late Aikar, I have a final submission. :eek:

Edit: I couldn't find a single text color for the selling points that didn't look weird or off. I finally settled on plain old white and hoped that the logo, the ip, and the background would be colorful enough. I can make any changes needed.
    WookieCry, cadgamer101 and jrm531 like this.
  11. Got bored so made a 6th version. Sorry Aikar ;)
    I quite like this one actually. Here:
  12. Unfortunately it's way over 100K (I think?) so I'm not sure how you guys compress it so much, but I'll post it anyway :p

CURRENT:

Edits:

Fixed loop, borders (made it rectangle for the sake of my sanity), eraser holes (way over 100k)

Amazing 334K quality:

A bit better 475K if there's a 500k limit:

Faster (548K) (if you want I could make it a bit slower, and duration for info slides longer

Not as fast (780K)

Under 100K is impossible
    margaritte and FDNY21 like this.
  13. Yeah, I checked mine, it's way over too. Not sure how to fix this... but I'll keep messing with it.
  14. Okay, let's hope this is the final product. In order to get it down to this size, I had to compress the png's, take some of the selling points out, and compress the final gif a little as well. :/ You really can't make a good banner with a 100k file size limit. Tell those ad sites to quit being cheap, lol. Anyway, here it is. File size is around 94kb:

15. Updated my original post, but here are my fixes:

Fixed loop, borders (made it rectangle for the sake of my sanity), erased holes (way over 100k)

Amazing 334K quality:

A bit better 475K if there's a 500k limit:

Faster (548K) (if you want I could make it a bit slower, and duration for info slides longer

Not as fast (780K)

Under 100K is impossible
  16. The trick is to use less alternatin backgrounds, thats where it really adds to the size.

Though the fast ness is probally appealing.

SOME Sites like topg allow over 100k

Google: 150k
    TopG: no limit?
    Project Wonderful is the one that has 100k limit but i'm questioning the usefulness on that site, and we primarily need a different size ad for that one... (Bigger, but i think its still limited to 100k :/)
  17. Here's one then, it's fast but not too fast (I think) and if you do use it for ToPG I can also improve the quality to make it a bigger size

Is it possible to have separate banners for separate sites? If so I'd say this could be for TopG if you wanted to use it, but I'm assuming you want to keep the branding graphics the same as with the fonts
    As these aren't really valid entries, do you think keeping the background the same and all the transitions similar to the first one would keep it under 100K?
  18. Well with Google display ads we can throw many banners into the account and it rotates them, and it lets me get a quick performance assessment of the banners.

Thats why we already see some peoples banners that showed up on EMC site.

But yeah Im afraid the grainyness of yours will detract some. So try to work on that. TopG is doing us well and works on CPM pricing, so best effort into obtaining clicks is what we need there.

And looking at the current topg ads, the flashyness really attracts my eyes of others and drowns out ours....

And note to all - we will have a 2nd contest here in a few days for different sizes of other banners.
  19. Grainyness should be fixed, I was using a lower quality version to maintain a lower size, but if it were to only be on TopG:

Doesn't appear to be any stuttering which is a plus
    (993K)

The new banner size being for PMC? I might get ready in advance so I'm not hurrying again lol