[Discussion] Is Water Wet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Smooshed_Potato, May 30, 2018.

?

Is Water Wet!?!

Yes 16 vote(s) 51.6%
No 10 vote(s) 32.3%
Pineapple Doesn't Go on Pizza! 10 vote(s) 32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. THE THOUGHT PROCESS BEFORE POSTING:
    What to do today? Hmmm... I'm kinda bored. -_-
    *lightbulb*
    How about I split Empire in half based on their points of view on a topic with no necessary point or value!

Oh hello! I didn't see you there! I want you to tell me if you think water is wet or not! I believe that the water is not wet! (If your argument for why water is not wet is "Is fire burnt?" I will kindly ask you to get out of my thread ;))
    SkeleTin007 likes this.
  2. Depends on where the water is from
  3. Isn't this a meme?
  4. Mods close this please, too controversial for EMC.
  5. What do you mean by this?
  6. Water is not wet.

'Wet' is used to describe something that's covered in bodily fluid (spit, mucus, whatever else the disgusting human body wants to leak out of its pores today), oil, grease, and of course, water. It is not used to describe a body of one of these fluids - you would not run into the waves at the beach and say "oh no, the water is wet!", or dip your hand into a sink and say "it's wet".

Actually I can see both of those sentences being things actually said by actual people.

Oh no.

Abandon thread before I got shown up even more for abandoning my morals.
  7. The scientific analysis by a real scientist.

Wet: covered in water.

Water is composed of molecules. One hydrogen, two oxygen.

Water is often found in groups of other water molecules. The exception being a single water molecule floating in a perfect vacuum.

More often than not, water molecules form groups, so more often than not water is in contact with other water molecules.

Wet is defined by covered in water molecules which are determined to be in a liquid state.

Water is a liquid, ice is a solid, steam is a gas.

As a liquid water molecule is more often than not coated in other liquid water molecules we can determine with near certainty the following: water is wet.
  8. What is water though? Oh! It happens to be a single water molecule H2O! So the water molecule is not wet, therefore a group of water molecules is not wet.
  9. Please read the whole post.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  10. No value you say? :eek:

I will have you known that without water most of us humans will perish :eek:. And no respawn point IRL either!

Besides, isn't water watery? :D
    Smooshed_Potato and 607 like this.
  11. Thread moved to Community Discussion since it does not fit the Controversial thread guidelines.

Btw, I agree that water isn’t wet. Like AltPunisher said, things that have water on them are wet from the water - water itself is not wet.
  12. Yes, I think water is wet.
    haastregt and Smooshed_Potato like this.
  13. Interesting post, though it feels like that this is just to grab people's attention rather than try to talk about something meaningful. (I'm sure this topic is meaningful to some, but it could be said that it's trivial to others.)
    fluffinator09 and 607 like this.
  14. This is the correct factual response to this question, thanks Falchion. :)

Smooshed_Potato and haastregt like this.
  15. I've always thought this argument is ridiculous, and yet here goes a reply.

Water is wet.

That's true. Most people would instead say "Oh no, I'm wet" or "the sink is wet." However, that's because you are focused on yourself or the sink in those scenarios; describing the water as wet is redundant because it is always wet. Just because you go outside and don't say "the sky is blue" doesn't mean that the sky isn't in fact blue; we instead note that it is cloudy, or pretty, or grumbling, because these adjectives are what relate the sky to us and do not always apply. Similarly, water is always wet and that state has no effect on us, being a simple fact. Instead we focus more on things that are not usually wet and have relation to us when so (notice that we might point a chair out as wet so as not to sit on it, but we would never note a tree as wet simply because there's no reason to).

Water is inherently wet. As Falchion noted:
    A single, isolated molecule of water would be dry. However, if one molecule of water is in contact with another, then each of those molecules is touching water and thus wet, even if not in the way we understand wet to be. If you take a lake and isolate a sphere of water around, say, a fish, for example, and picture that sphere of water as a separate entity from the lake, then wouldn't you consider it wet if it is underwater?

Moving deeper into this argument, imagine you are fully submerged underwater. A SCUBA diver would never say "I'm wet" while fully beneath the surface, but it is nonetheless true even though he or she is essentially a part of the water. Why would an individual droplet of water beneath the surface be any different? It too is surrounded by water, in total contact on all sides.

Ultimately this comes down to your perception of water. In order to understand the fact that by technical definitions water is indeed wet, you have to understand that just as we are made up of organs which are made up of tissues which are made of cells which are made up of molecules, water also can be continuously broken down into individual components, which in their contact of each other are defined as wet.

I will now leave this thread and never return. I am frustrated with myself for even taking the time to type all this.
    607 likes this.
  16. What have you done?
    ShelLuser and Smooshed_Potato like this.
  17. Crafted a fate worse than interplanetary nuclear annihilation.
    Smooshed_Potato likes this.
  18. We wish.