[Could this project work?] => Building an EMC auction house!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Aug 19, 2018.

?

A community auction house, what do you think?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2018.
Yes, yes, yes! 8 vote(s) 25.0%
I'd try and sell some of my stuff there. 5 vote(s) 15.6%
I'd attend to see if I can buy some good stuff there. 4 vote(s) 12.5%
I want to help make this work! 6 vote(s) 18.8%
Seeing is believing, I dunno... 7 vote(s) 21.9%
This is never going to work. 1 vote(s) 3.1%
No! Just no! 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other (please leave a message below!). 1 vote(s) 3.1%
  1. Good idea! There's the issue of different times around the world, though. So perhaps don't hold the event at the same time every week.
    SkeleTin007 likes this.
  2. Beleve it or not: I have actually done this before...
    It was in my first year of EMC, so over 5 years ago, but I have once made an auction house, with around about the same intention: I, at the time, wanted to be able to auction of smaller amounts (I remember trying to auction of a stack of Gold blocks). I can tell you it wasn't a success at the time. No one came. Sure, I made quite some mistakes at the time, but I think this would face the smae problem.
    I would be open (help) design it aestethicly, if this does end up starting though.
  3. Love the idea. While I feel that the novelty of this event will wear off quite quickly, I’d still be willing to help out and see what happens!

Perhaps an idea for this is to get players who wish to auction items to post (on the event thread or in PM) beforehand and state what it is that they want to auction and when, rather than it being unplanned and just turn up and sell/buy. That way admins/people in control of the events can post a schedule for what is being sold at that particular time. This allows players to know what is being sold and will attract people to attend if they want to buy that item. :) just an idea.
    purplebook163 likes this.
  4. While I don't agree with your wording choices, and they completely contradict your intended reason for this post, I am in support of this project. We used to have some auction houses here and there across the Empire. When done right, in-game auctions can be really fun and the bidding wars can get crazy entertaining.

Keep in mind that there are some items that are banned from being auctioned/sold anywhere. These include the Easter Bunny white egg and the bonus chests. Let me know if you need any more info regarding this. You can 'take back control' all you want with the other items, but these Staff will step in and stop.

So good luck with your adventure in the auction house world. Have fun!
  5. I quoted bara because his reply reminded me of Sydney and his Marketplace Events/Res' he's had for some time now: https://empireminecraft.com/threads/farmers-markets-at-4567-and-5618.76887/

You might want to get with him Shel because he has a lot of experience with in-game auctions/booths/subzones etc :)
  6. I like this idea! Good thinking Sheluser. If the SMP2 Supportive Reinvestment Corp. can assist in any way, please feel free to reach out to us. Whether it be land or supplies or financial capital just lmk. Best of luck! :)
    purplebook163, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  7. Hi Shel. I am already working on The Empire Auction House but the more the better.
  8. Well, in the mean time I woke up the other GRIP members and asked them how they felt about using some GRIP resources, some players contacted me to offer help with building and someone even has a residence we could use.

The residence is something I already have under control. If this is going to become a thing then I'm planning on upgrading my alt to Dia which gets it 2 extra residence slots. It seems like a logical idea to use a GRIP-based residence for it.

Of course it does raise a question: on which server should we put it? It might be a good idea to use Utopia because of the extra space but... Maybe we should start a poll for that :)
    607 and Windylava like this.
  9. You know where I stand, with SMP2 right? ;)
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  10. Just a quick point - Utopia would, imo, work best since it's also the server where the fewest people would be located somewhere far out in the Frontier and not struggle with getting back to Town. All of the SMPs have this issue, and would limit attendance of some players. Just a note I wanted to add to the discussion ;)
  11. no it wont work if u dont get off ur lazy behinds and start doing stuff ^.^

(soz, kinda joking but my reaction is gonna leave ppl wondering and want 2 know more! ^.^)

Shell talked 2 GRIP and most active GRIP staff ppl responded. i think this is gonna be a thing.

this is me sneaking @ shells place ^.^

top row is all iron vouchers, in the middle first 2 is diamond vouchers. next 2 gold and 1 iron. Shell always buys iron 2 have a choice. u do the math.
    607 likes this.
  12. this seems like a great idea shel i am definitly going to help with this as much as possible.+1
  13. Last update on this thread; in the mean time I've set a few things in motion and I figured it was only fair to keep you guys posted.

I've contacted a few players who I first and foremost fully trust and who also happen to be pretty good builders ;) They're willing to help out, the idea is that we can brainstorm ideas (maybe designs?) and then sort the whole thing out and start doing stuff.

Doesn't mean we can't use more help of course, but these players will be in charge of the whole thing next to myself.

I just filled out a redeem request for a dia voucher on behalf of my alt (TheOtherShell) so I'll probably be able to claim an Utopia residence soon enough (somewhere next week).

Aya & me also cleaned out TheOtherShell's ender chest on SMP1 where I kept 21 shulker boxes out of sight which contained some pretty interesting items. From a SC of gold blocks to 12 or so stacks of diamond blocks and plenty of promos. A small fortune if you will. These items used to belong to mjnoe70 who donated them to GRIP with the intent that they'd benefit the community. Most of the common items got transported onto the GRIP residence earlier this year, but I kept these separate (and forgot all about 'm) in case mjnoe70 might come back in the mean time.

It's been 6 or so months ago, and considering the positive feedback I got so far I'm pretty sure that mjnoe70 would agree that we'll be using some of those materials for this community projects.

What happens next?

Simple. Next week I hope that OtherShell becomes diamond and can then claim an extra residence. At that time I'm also going to start a new project thread with updates, stories, pictures, ideas, and so on about the Auction House project.

My idea is to try and turn this into a small on-going event.

Warning: Don't expect immediate results within a month or so. We're not going to try and break speed records. To be honest I'm in no rush at all, and I'm perfectly fine if this project is going to take 6 months or a whole year. Because that would also mean plenty of updates and stuff to do.

There's also the issue of having to design a good (obviously redstone powered) mechanism which can rule out any foul play as best as possible (subzones for the win!).

But I'm going to share all of that on the upcoming dedicated project thread.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback so far, and hope to see you all again on the upcoming official thread!
    607 and purplebook163 like this.
  14. wish i could have seen this sooner! i do support this idea and agree with your general reasoning for this, but i will echo what many people have said in that this could easily flop if not done right (the entire reason why i can never host anything :p). good luck with making this a thing!
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  15. Just saw this now :D
    I think he's also pretty experienced, after all, he did make a guide on them ;)
    MoreMoople, Eviltoade and 607 like this.
  16. I'll help, it won't be much.
    I have my own problems to deal with.