Clearing out the Ban Archives

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Oh yeet now I got 3 accounts
    Equinox_Boss and EmpireMall like this.
  2. Only if those accounts were banned 3+ years ago... Those are the ones getting a free go at a second chance. Bans up to 3 years you'll still have to repeal.
    607, revolgmoehT and Equinox_Boss like this.
  3. This seems like a nice gesture from the Empire to all of those wayward players of a distant past. After reading over most of the posts in this thread, I thought it might be interesting if the Empire started it's own Jail / Prison Server for banned accounts. Essentially the only place the banned person could access would be this separate server in which they are confined to a Jail. If world wide chat ever became a thing, they could at least chat from their confinement in game with their friends, or it could be SMP specific. Something sorta like what is done with the Event world that is separate and confined, and everything is grief-proof. Legit Players could go visit and take them cake from time to time. Heh.

I dunno...this is probably just a crazy idea, but thought I would just share the concept. I thought of this as how it seemed to compare to returning players getting a pardon, and getting set free again. Also like unto one who may get out of jail, it can be a hard time for them to re-adjust, and find their place in the community once again. I for one will do what I can to treat any known offender like anyone else. Truth is, I don't know that I even know any that have been banned, but regardless of why someone returns to the Empire, it is always nice to see people come back :)

Also like unto those outlet covers parents put on the outlets to keep little fingers out of harm's way, the recent Anti-Grief system will help prevent the possibility of harm in the first place, and hopefully keep the need of discipline to a minimum. Sometimes more defined parameters can be the catalyst of change needed to keep someone focused on what is really fun. Add to that the upcoming games server, and they can go run off some steam in there so that their otherwise questionable behavior is not as charged. Kudos to the Staff for always keeping a positive outlook on what the horizon holds for the Empire, and working to make it a cool place to explore.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    Zarembo1, 607, M4ster_M1ner and 6 others like this.
  4. just out of curiosity, how many players were affected by this? (aka, how many were auto unbaned
    M4ster_M1ner and Equinox_Boss like this.
  5. Stats were about 6200 auto-unbanned, per aikar earlier today.
  6. It would be nice to see Lockdown again, but I'm positive he's not coming back. Miss you buddy!
    ChespinLover77 and Lockdown32 like this.
  7. They are still active in-game.. .
    revolgmoehT likes this.
  8. This is great news. I know one person in particular that will benefit greatly from this graceful act.
  9. Since I've joined, there have been several friends who have been banned. It'll be nice to see some old faces.

Did you know: I got banned (I think by Lucky) on my first day for breaking someones e-chest at Friday Night Miners. Now i cook lucky in a stew (add in Toade) for dinner on occasion. xD
    -Pup
    WolfInAction likes this.
  10. It is a very good idea indeed. I've suggested that way back and I still think that this would be the best solution for over 90% of the bans.

I observe quite a few kids around me, I see how they behave IRL and how on LAN parties and on private servers. According to EMC practice 50% of them would be banned, and at least further 25% wouldn't be banned just because they were lucky to learn the social norms and find out the limits in an easier way.

It is all natural that the kids start to fight and try to steal and cheat - it's their "job" to test and challenge the limits, that's an important part of growing up. When they join a server, they just need to test and find it out once again. That does not make them bad people.

I'd suggest only private chat, perhaps even only in-game mail.

Exactly!

The purpose of the jail would be
    - to separate them from the game, both as penalty and as protective measure
    - at the same time to keep them within the community
    - to let them know that what they did was off limits according to social norms on EMC
    - to give them chance to think about it and decide what they want
    - to give them chance to apologize to the ones they did damage to
    - to give them chance to repair the damage they did

I'd make this "jail" a wild word where there are only few rules. The inmates have to work there and earn the right to return to the "civilized" servers.

This would especially work for bans because of stealing and griefing. They would have to collect resources to repay the damage and pay a fine if they can not do that out of their property. Perhaps, for some cases, some community work (e.g. repairing landscape in Frontier) could be added as well.
    607 likes this.
  11. For sure. And some people might not mind, and think we're better off without those kids, but really, kids do still make up for a reasonably large percentage of the Minecraft playerbase, I'd estimate (I don't have any sources for that assumption, though).
    My brother got banned within a few days, for stealing someone's bed. He doesn't appeal as he doesn't feel like it and moreover, he doesn't know English. But I wonder, if he were able to do something like you two have proposed, he might get motivated again and start looking for a way to get back in, and don't make the same mistake. :)
    M4ster_M1ner likes this.
  12. The ban practice on EMC was made when there was high influx of players, and, back then, the staff thought that harsh (capital) punishments will weed out the "bad" people and keep the "good", and that it would work because there are so many people who want to come and play. That idea is flawed.

It is flawed even with a high influx of players, because high number of harsh / capital punishments weaken the community. They spoil the fun for "good" members as well. They also show that the community is not capable of handling the problem of kids trying stealing and griefing in a good way.

I remember suggestions to change that practice came from time to time since 2012, but unfortunately they fell on deaf ears. The staff answer was like "Yeah, trust us, we know how to deal with them, bad online kids."

Now, with a low influx of players who would want to play Non-PvP SMP, it is more obvious that a change in how we treat distinct offenses is very much needed.

PS: Check Krysyy's profile picture...
    607 likes this.
  13. Great idea, ppl change as they get older, experience teaches them many things and if they are still interested in playing the game it's an opportunity for them to do so.

EMC players also have much more protection now than before so that should also help in the event that someone has not changed their ways.

5 Stars on this idea.
  14. First, what does my profile pic have to do with anything? A player made it for me and it has a rule book and a ban hammer in my hands. If that's your problem with it, so what? Nearly every server in existence knows the reference of a ban hammer. I am an administrator so the player put that in there. If you want to fault me for that, so be it. You're grasping for straws on your argument there.

Second, you aren't thinking something critical out here, and as much as you think you know why things happen the way that they do, you don't. Our server conducts matters with bans in a way without this jail system you are so fond of because that is public humiliation, and that is worse than bullying to be honest. Our bans are handled between the player and the staff only to prevent other players from attacking those individuals who break the rules. They also have the opportunity to come back with a second chance, almost by default. They just have to put in writing that they broke the rules and they won't break them again. I am 100% more forgiving than the player that just got griefed, because all I require is admitting it. This is also why we don't share names of the people that grief bases to the owners of those bases. We silently ban and wait for the appeal. That way when the player comes back they arent harassed over their mistake previously. They truly get their fresh start.

Do you honestly believe that this mob mentality against what is sometimes just a kid that made a mistake is healthy? Yes, they are bending the rules and testing the limits, but they have to accept the ramifications of their actions. If they directly disobey the rules, then they are punished for it, just like if they disobey their parents, I hope they are grounded for it. You dont see them being put on display in front of the whole school with a giant sign that says they didnt do their chores. We wont get into parenting styles though...Learning the limits and the results of bad behavior is a part of maturing and becoming a productive member of society. Learning the humility behind admitting when you were wrong is just as important. That's the whole purpose behind the ban system in place. It seriously takes only telling the truth, having respect, and an apology. Quite a few players can't seem to handle that and that's sad, but I'm not going to bend over backwards if they are just going to break the rules again.

This jail you argue so strongly for is not going to happen due to it being a public shame house. I've said that before, and I will say it a 1000 times more. We aren't a fan of bullying and refuse to take part in that mob mentality by making punishments public that way. If a player can't do the very simple task of messaging a private appeal in which they honestly only have to say sorry and they won't do it again in order to earn a second chance, then that's on them. They lost the privilege awarded to them for as long as they followed the rules. With an appeal, they are given a fresh start and the chance to prove themselves, without their past transgression being tattooed on their forehead.

Believe what you want, but our punishment system is in place to protect the player who gets banned above all else. We don't have any plans to change that now, or likely ever.
  15. Thanks for your reply!
    I was waiting for it, as I knew you'd have some strong points to make on the matter. ;)
    Warlord678, Krysyy and PetezzaDawg like this.
  16. ...
    Are you kidding me.
    I did not believe this kind of mercy was possible. Good move on your part.
    Respect.
    6300 people are now given a chance eh?
    So unlike the billionares who doomed Earth.
    Not dooming. Doomed.
    Willing to lie and bribe for their own profit.
    Ha...perhaps you are less merciful when it is indirect, and you put off the consequences?
    Or perhaps they believe science will give them a miracle.
    I'm getting off topic.
    Nice job.
    I was tempted to use honorifics in this post, but English is not Korean.
    Thanks a lot for your brilliant management.
    제국마인크래프트 만세!
    LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!
    Baradar67 likes this.
  17. Kinda off topic here, but anyone else glad EMC doesn't have public ban records like a lot of other servers do?
  18. Yup. Makes sure no public shamin.
    The fact we have online shaming is a disgrace to morality.
    607 likes this.
  19. Would be interesting to see if the old banned people will return....anyone remember BTHagard or Kells? :p
    fluffinator09 and TomvanWijnen like this.