Changing Supporter Chat | Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jul 21, 2014.

?

Replace Supporter Chat Channel with Global Town Chat?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2014.
Yes 100 vote(s) 71.4%
No 32 vote(s) 22.9%
Not a supporter/ever going to be 8 vote(s) 5.7%
  1. I'm reaching the testing point of being able to turn off chats :)
  2. Note to everyone against this Idea:
    Aikar is Making it Toggled, meaning you can turn off the town chat... If you only want to talk to supporters invite them to a group... Also Krysyy is right guys. I was a supporter for a total of 3 months (2 Diamond, 1 Gold), and guess how often I used the Supporter Channel? I am guessing maybe a minute (being when I first logged in as a supporter). I stopped using it because you get less interaction with the community, and a lot of non-supporting members offer great conversation. I you guys may not want to hear all the new players asking their questions, but its something you have to live with when you're in a community like EMC. EMC is a community where everyone is supposed to be friendly and help each other out, but how can we do that when everyone wants to ignore who needs help the most?
    Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  3. How about we keep the supporter channel for the people that still want to use it?
    And then we could have town chat enabled in the wilderness/wastelands only for supporters :D
    Equinox_Boss and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  4. I personally enjoy supporter chat a lot more.
  5. I do enjoy the quiet out in the wild. But it would be nice to welcome new players while out there.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. This is wayyyyyy off topic, but I'm gonna see if I can change my residence's biome to the end biome

I don't see any restrictions :p
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. You're right. That is way off-topic. :rolleyes:

My two cents is, ensure the toggle has an option to just disable in the wilds. The past few times I've logged in, town chat felt more like something I was subjecting myself to, rather than participating in. True, sometimes you can have good conversation, but more often than not I just don't have the patience or willpower to deal with "how i mine 4 fish?" and "plz giv me rupeez / i need money / give rupeez PLEEEEEEEAAAAASE!!!1!" over and over. Explaining voting bonuses and shop signs does nothing when people simply ignore your advice and demand hand-outs.
    /rant
    Maybe I'm just being a crotchety old tiger, I dunno. But to me, the wilderness is an escape from town chat. Making it global to replace /c s doesn't seem like a particularly fair trade, even if I completely understand the reasoning behind it. I'm not particularly a fan of the chat / community division there either, but in this case it feels like the lesser problem.

Perhaps I'd have a different opinion if codes of conduct and behavior were rammed home a little more for new members.
    Equinox_Boss, Bro_im_infinite and 607 like this.
  8. Personally, I can see 'shop' channel being abused - as people would stay in there talking about non-shop related things... if you added a shop channel it would make posts on your chat feed anyways, so it would almost be the same as not adding it completely.

If you made shop channel toggleable - it would help reduce the chat feed for auctions, sells, advertising, etc.... however, if it's toggled off - and someone is trying to advertise, how do you know if they are advertising if it's in a sense turned 'off'?

-It's a good concept, however, idk what a benefit of it would be if you would always see it, or not see it...

May I suggest a possible channel in place of the shop channel - similar to a shop channel, but it wouldn't be for the smp...

It would be cross-server .... only supporters would have access to this, however, it would be where someone could strictly only advertise ... and it broadcasts it via all servers ... the catch is they can only broadcast once or twice per day? (or* make it open to everyone, yet if they're free it would cost certain amount of rupees per advertisement, up to 2 per day)
  9. Shop chat would definitely be toggleable. It is meant to filter all the conversations about the economy etc away from those tht just want to socialize in the town chat.

As for the broadcast idea, Aikar, Max, and I discussed something like that and Aikar is playing around with what we can do easily. I like the idea of one or two times per day limit.
    Equinox_Boss and eklektoi like this.
  10. Their new perk is going to be Town Chat while in the wild, right?

If it's only that then I think it's alright. There's /c off and stuff perhaps they could make one command like /c t off and turn off only town chat leaving local and others open.
  11. Aikar is in the testing phase for turning certain channels off.
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and Gap542 like this.
  12. /c hide t and /c show t or /chat toggle t (and various shortcuts to that) will be the syntax, and they are temporary per session, so that a user will be back in it on re-login so you dont have to worry about re-enabling it when switching servers.
  13. I don't like this idea :/
    I am a gold supporter on 2 accounts, and always will be. A reason I like the wild so much is because their is no Town chat. I often get tired of having to say "stop using caps in town chat :) " and need a break. If their was Town chat in the wild, I would find myself just using /c off . That command is one i rarely use, only if something is really bothering me. But its better than having to ignore a player.

I think what Jack said:
    Is an Amazing idea. I love Supporter chat, and have more conversations in it more often than town chat. In town chat, the thing I say the most is probably "Stop using caps in town chat :) ". I never have to say anything like that in supporter chat, because 99.9% of the time, noone breaks any chat rules.

I think this will be a great update, but I will (if supporters Do get town chat in wild) turn off shop and town chat in wild. People like me, that will do the same will probably want some way to talk, besides group chat and pm.

Reasons why I like the Shop Chat idea:
    It will filter out the shop related posts from town chat.
    I can ignore the Shop Chat Channel. (I personally have never wanted to hear "SELLING IRON FOR 1000 RUPPES IN MY SHOP!!!!!", and now I'll finally be able to ignore those posts without having to /c off) Also, I see people say "Ruppes", spelled incorrectly more than i see it spelled correctly, "Rupees".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reasons why I don't like the Shop Chat idea:
    New players will not use it (and continue to say "SELLING IRON FOR 1000 RUPPES IN MY SHOP!!!!!").
    If that happens (which i assume it will), their should be some consequence of saying it in town chat (possible 5 min mute?)
    I will just have Shop Chat ignored the entire time, so it would be pointless (for me).
    I like Supporter Chat D: It's easily my favorite Chat channel

EDIT: I do Not want to have to /c off, just so I can be in peace in the Wild. I never had a problem with Supporter Chat, for the reason entirely being that its quiet most of the time. Having to /c off, would just be inconvenient for me as a supporter.
    Equinox_Boss and NathanRP like this.
  14. I can force redirect messages that say buying/selling and shop chat would be town only.

I'm also thinking of enforcing a "Buying: X/Selling: X" prefix
  15. What if it's an indirect question just telling your friends like 'Hey, Aikar - I think I might remove my shop - not many people are buying from me'

Or if it's a direct question to someone that you want to mention out of shop that isn't really directed for shops ... it would redirect it anyways.

However, if it does redirect messages, it would need to exclude pms, as that might be awkward for some people.
  16. I fully intend to return to supporter status when I'm able. But I can't vote using the provided criteria. I feel that there should be more options/ideas. I still think there should be another channel. I try to be helpful and teach new members as best I can, but sometimes ya just want some peace and quiet (or to at least get away from the din of the city).

I don't ever want to turn chat off, to just shut out the community entirely. I have an idea. What if you were able to "turn down" certain channels so they weren't so "loud?" I would like the ability to change the colors of channel outputs so that a channel I want to turn down can be made some sort of greyed-out color, while a channel I'm focusing on will stay white and/or behave normally. That way, I can easily ignore the channel of diminished volume, though it's not muted entirely- the option to respond remains, whereas with a muted channel it does not.
  17. Esc -> options -> multiplayer settings -> chat opacity (slide the bar down)
  18. I'm not a supporter but that sounds guude
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. I play on a hardcore economy server from time to time, and their Trade Chat channel works incredibly well to clean up the advertising clutter in the main chat channel. I hugely support.
    Equinox_Boss and krysyyjane9191 like this.
  20. No no no no no no.... I literally go into the wild just so I don't have to hear all the stupid yapping in town. I can't turn chat off because I get PMs related to my business a lot.