Changing Supporter Chat | Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jul 21, 2014.

?

Replace Supporter Chat Channel with Global Town Chat?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2014.
Yes 100 vote(s) 71.4%
No 32 vote(s) 22.9%
Not a supporter/ever going to be 8 vote(s) 5.7%
  1. Well, obviously if it has been observed by Staff that Supporters are speaking to one another in Supporter chat vs Town Chat enough to seem to create some issues, then it must happen often, at least on some servers.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. I hate this idea. I spend a lot of time in the wild, and getting into chat conversations at the wrong time gets me killed. I do a lot of my mining away from my home server as it protects me from chat. Yes, i can turn chat off, but then i often forget to turn it on again and I do want to hear chat when I get back to town.

Another problem in the wild is when people buy from my shop, and i get buying notices spamming my chat. That was another reason why i mined away from my home server, but now I can't escape these messages on any server. Try dealing with an enraged creeper whilst someone is buying 50 individual obsidian blocks from the shop.

My shop is effectively spamming my chat. I dread the thought of general chat doing the same, wherever I go.
    QuarterStop and Equinox_Boss like this.
  3. Oh man, I miss doing this <3 :D
    FDNY21 and 607 like this.
  4. You can turn it off with /ps I think :) (I think)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. If i turn chat off that's ALL chat, if i wanted to pm someone i have to turn ALL CHAT on again, as things stand. Not a great problem in the frontier lands at the moment cos that only exposes me to pms, supporter and local chat.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. You can turn off shop notifications with /ps to avoid them.
    Equinox_Boss and Kephras like this.
  7. Shop notifications are completely separate, and can be turned off while leaving chat on.

If your shop is on SMP3, turn it off on SMP3 and it will not send to any of the SMP's your on (IE: If your shop is on SMP3 but your playing on SMP8, you need to turn it off on SMP3 and NOT SMP8, unless you also have a shop on SMP8)
    Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  8. and in response to some of the other suggested ideas - they are honestly too complex. Tuning down specific users or channels would become super confusing. If you suppress messages, then you'll see partial conversations that don't make any sense.

Coloring the lines differently also will not work the same as we have another feature planned that might help alleviate things for some - the ability to PERSONALLY change the color of text in chat, so that you can choose for town chat to be green, local to be yellow, etc. It would default to as it stands today (white), but you'll have the option to change the color to your own needs.
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and samsimx like this.
  9. Keeping it simple is the way to go.

I am in support of:

1. Getting rid of Supporter chat - I use it, but I appear to be the 1%'er on this one
    2. Making any or all chat channels toggle-able

#2 goes in line with Play your Way.
  10. Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  11. No more so than /ignore. :p

But this is good.
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and samsimx like this.
  12. Multi coloured chat? Its bad enough having these multicoloured system messages. It seems as though nobody on the team has ever looked at accessibility issues.

1. 10% of the population is color blind.

2 .people with moderate visual impairment who can still play the game may be using screen readers. These read out text, but frequently changing colours or caps make screen readers almost unusable.

3. people with foggy vision can still play the game but cant read text that isnt well defined from its background. It's harder to read white text on a black background than the other way round.

It would be nice if our developers could stand back from the excellent work they are doing in improving our playing experience, and do some reading around accessibility. We cannot make the game entirely accessible as this could only be done by Mojang, and I don't think it could be done without changing the game beyond recognition. But we can be aware of the issues, and not tweak the system to exclude any more people from playing the game through easily avoided cosmetic changes.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. you misread my post - the colors would be of your own choosing, so for it to be an issue to a color blind person, they would of had to chose that color themselves.

Sadly, Mojang does not give us enough tools to even consider working on accessibility, nor do we receive really any complaints about accessibility either, to even justify working on things like that.

The only time we ever had a complaint about accessibility was when the tutorial quizzed on staff colors, which we added text to also, and we also now use a star to denote staff instead of just color.
  14. Though in-game doesn't use Web Safe Colors ... I was told that the 4 different types of colour blindness only affects 3 regions of your eyes ... one allows you to primarily see blue shades, another for red, another for greens, and another for random red-violet regions.... and then there's total colour blindness where you're missing the ability to see colour and can only see grays and blacks

There actually is an option in your minecraft settings where you hit - [Multiplayer settings] and turn colors off

This should turn the colours in your chat off, but if you do that - that would default it to mojang default.... Which I believe is white.

If you really have a colour blindness that will affect your ability to see things - custom resource packs may change the default colour and style, and may make it easier to read.

*At least until you can change your personal settings to help you read text on the screen

Personally - I don't have colour blindness ... so it's hard for me to read black on the minecraft screen (which is the majority of people)

...if someone does have a form of colour blindness, i'm sure one of us could whip up a resource pack in a jiff for one of you to use temporarily :)
  15. Thanks, Eklektio. I think this is a very useful post indeed and I wonder if it can be posted to the EMC wiki.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  16. That's core Minecraft information, not anything EMC-specific. It would be better suited to the official Minecraft Wiki.
    As for the "light-text/dark-background" bit you mentioned, that's actually surprising to me - then again, I have mild astigmatism and black text on white is much worse on my eyes.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  17. Kephras, looks like we are both right over the black/white issue

some interesting comments from 'dyslexia unlocked' on the color/ background / accessibility theme. Some of this seems relevant to this discussion:
    General

Our website is designed to be accessible to as many people as possible including those with a disability.
    A key element to making a website accessible is realising that different disabilities have different requirements. What may make a website site very accessible for someone with one disability may preclude accessibility for someone with another. White text on a black background could be best for a person with visual impairment, but inaccessible for someone with dyslexia.
    Therefore this site is laid out with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). This means that the information on the styling of pages is held in a separate file, which can be ignored by assistive technology like screen readers and users can also tailor the styling to their own specific needs.
    Dyslexia

To this end the default styling of this site specifically focus on meeting the needs of dyslexic people as this is our specific audience and client group. The style follows these rules to ensure accessibility specific to the dyslexic community:
    1. The use of cream background and brown text instead of the typical white black font on white. This is because many people with dyslexia have difficulties with visual processing and this colour scheme may go some way to reducing these difficulties.
    2. The restricted use of underlining (for example hyperlinks are only shown as underlined on rollover) because underlining makes text hard for dyslexic people to read and process which is often what we use to read as opposed to a letter by letter breakdown.
    3. Our pages are as uncluttered and well spaced as possible to help people navigate pages and lessen visual disturbance.
    4. The wording is aimed to be clear and concise as overly long/complex sentences can be difficult to access for people with short-term working memory difficulties. Although people with dyslexia have a unique profile of strengths and weaknesses, they share difficulty with short-term memory.
    http://www.dyslexia-unlocked.com/accessibility.html
  18. Please start a separate forum to discuss this. We are getting off topic.
  19. It's only on topic because it deals with text colours, which are a part of the proposals. Nothing to discuss really, just wanted to share relevant information.
  20. Color in the discussion of accessibility is not the same as color in the form of alleviating peoples worry of Town chat messages drowning out their other chat while in the wild, so it is not on topic.