Changing Supporter Chat | Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jul 21, 2014.

?

Replace Supporter Chat Channel with Global Town Chat?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2014.
Yes 100 vote(s) 71.4%
No 32 vote(s) 22.9%
Not a supporter/ever going to be 8 vote(s) 5.7%
  1. Is it at all possible to make Global Town chat toggleable?
    Equinox_Boss and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  2. If this does get added, I would love to see a Donator Chat channel as Jack mentioned above.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. I dislike this idea. Supporter Chat was one reason I joined supportship. The ability to s ,xpeak with only other supporters, mainly just to chat in peace. On smp9 at night (my time) my friends and I van just chat in there instead of this group hassle thing. Keep supporter chat available. That is all
  4. This answer has been answered many times in this thread....
  5. Yeah, I scrolled back through and saw it, but I couldn't delete my post. I must now live with this shame.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. i like this idea, yes replace supporter channel with global town chat :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. A lot of players still ignore it. Since you can toggle chat, new players would still advertise in town chat because of shop chat toggle, or would just not know it even exists. I hope some new strict rules are added along with the channel.
  8. I like the idea but here are my 2 cents
    Town chat: should be available to everyone smp# wide for community building and bonding. (makes it less lonely in the wild)
    Supporter/donator chat: should remain so that supporters can choose to use it or not as it should remain a perk
    Shop chat: This is a great idea to redirect all commerce related business to 1 channel (can also be smp# wide)
    Local/res/group chat: for a more private chat room
    Town/shop chat as mentioned by aikar will have the option of being toggled on/off allowing players to choose and filter there chat.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. +10^100^100
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. If you read the first post, Aikar said that he would release the ability to use/ignore certain channels soon, before this would get implemented.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. /c g - Supporter only, global chat. (All can listen)
    /c s or e - Economy thing
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. what about group chat? D=
  13. I'm working on reviving smp3! Glad to see people recognize it needs help.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. You can do /c gl for global chat and /c go for group =D
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. we want only one letter shortcuts please
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  16. Ok then... /c e for empire chat and /c g for group
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  17. Most people disagree, and are asking for it. They want the ability to fragment the chat so they can ignore those messages by turning shop chat off.

Shop messages aren't "Chat"
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  18. While I've only read a little bit of this I'm already against the idea, even if you're able to leave the channel. Mods have it for a real reason, and now that we have groups there is no real purpose. Since I'm apart of the minority of not wanting it Id imagine it will be released anyway, we need to bring back the ability to leave the channel, to be frank when it was removed I ignored so many people, i looked back and it had to be around one hundred people that I had ignored cause of the annoyingness of town chat. Many people go to servers like smp3, or smp6 to escape from town chat, the wilderness, and just the craziness in town. I don't see any really good reason for changing it to global, but that's just me.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. I'm currently not a supporter, but here's what I think:

1. I like the idea of giving supporters the option to post to the Town Chat, regardless of where they are.

2. I don't think you should remove supporters' ability to chat privately while ignoring Town Chat. True, some SMPs Town Chat can get a little lonely. But then other SMPs get freakin' annoying and I can understand why they would want some peace and quiet. I feel the same way sometimes. Forcing them to turn off chat altogether in order to ignore all the annoying newbie chatter is not going to encourage coming together as a community. Instead they will be forced to Group Chat, or Local Chat with even less fellow players, to get a little peace and quiet. Yes, separating shop or economy chat into its own channel will help some, but most of the time when I find Town Chat most annoying, it's not because of advertising, it's things like new players chatting about who's going to do what task next instead of limiting their chatter to /c r. My efforts to kindly direct such conversation to the proper channel have often fallen on deaf ears. Sometimes it's just topics of conversation that more veteran players find more mundane, but I don't necessarily want to block those players' chat or isolate myself completely by turning the channel off.

3. I like (I think Kyzoy's idea) about "tuning down" certain channels, rather than turning them off completely. This would be even better if you could "tune out" a specific player instead of blocking them. Having their chat grayed out so that it was less apparent, but still visible in case something caught your attention where you either realized you could render assistance or just want to scroll back through chat and start to follow their current conversation.

4. Perhaps one workaround would be to remove the ability to Supporter Chat, if there were:
    a) Less than X players connected to the SMP, or
    b) Less than X Non-supporters connected to the SMP.

This would allow Supporters the peace and quiet they sometimes deserve while still allowing intelligent conversation with fellow supporter. When the number of players dropped, they'd be forced to chat on Town Chat, or turn it off and enter a more private channel.

5. /p should show which channels a Player currently has turned on and off.

And "that's all I haf tuh say aboooout thaat."

P.S. "Those look like comfortable shoooes."
  20. I would like to know how often it happens that there is actually more than one supporter online on a server.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.