Bye EMC - Going to be way Less Active!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by finch_rocks_1, Dec 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allow me to send you off with a proper goodbye.
  2. Meh....

For the record: I have not read the thread yet, only Finch's post. So please keep this in mind for now (I will read of course).

That sounds a bit "elitist" to me, no offense intended but.... You are being honest and open in this post (so I assume) as such I am going to do the same. All in an appropriate and respectful way of course.

Reading this makes me wonder why you play on the Empire. So basically: what drives you to play here? Is it to have fun, to share that fun with others and to, well, get entertained "doing" stuff alone or together or is this to work out your own agenda and does it evolve around you as a persona and what you stand for?

Thing is... I've had some discussions with religious people on the Empire a few times. They were really busy and driven, they build churches, they held ceremonies and preached and stuff. Totally not my thing (I have a rather outspoken opinion on religion (note: all religion)) but even so I definitely respected it and in a way I also thought it was quite cool. Here were some players who used the game of Minecraft for real-life stuff. And they had fun.

... or at least I thought so. See, as soon as people showed less interest for the stuff they did they moved onto another server and tried again. When that didn't get much results they became less and less active.

I had the fortune to run into one of the chaps this (or last) year and we chatted. But as it turned out all they basically played for was their church and their religion. The whole thing was centered around spreading the word of God in a playful manner. And once that faded so did their drive for playing.

Now... I'm not saying that this also applies to you (impossible for me to know) but it does make me wonder.

These things also make me a little bit sad because there can be so much more to the game of Minecraft and the game of Empire Minecraft.

But in the end: action = reaction. And you need to respect that.

Look... I said I was going to be honest.... Don't take this the wrong way please but there have been some of your posts on this forum which even made me feel a little uneasy. Simply because although this is a community forum it's also still mostly focused on the game of Minecraft. There are old folks like me playing here, but also youngsters who may never even have thought or heard about some of the subjects which hold a big importance to you.

And sometimes I can't help but to get the impression that the thought of younger players reading your posts never crossed your mind.

I'm not holding that against you, I'm also not attacking you, but I do think it's something to consider. Especially if you keep my previous comment in mind: action = reaction.

Being nice goes both ways.

There's also the issue of intend and perception.

Are you sure that it wasn't because some players simply didn't like you and expressed that opinion?

I'm crazy for synths and sound design. It's my all time passion, basically sitting on the same level as Minecraft. I did allnighers on the Empire while building or doing stuff just as I did allnighers behind Ableton Live & Reason trying to come up with that "perfect" sound. I could write essays about the joy and fun of tinkering with sound and creating sound scapes with spacial effects which could easily give you the impression that you're walking around in a desolate wasteland.

But I'm pretty sure that if I keep that up on the Empire people will also grow bored with me. And I can proof this because my gf sometimes honestly tells me to "move on already" when I'm chatting a little bit too much about how using 2 oscillators + a band filter vs. just 3 oscillators can make a huge difference in sound. They don't attack me because I'm a synth guy, they do that because I'm becoming a wee bit annoying at that time.

There's always another aspect to consider.

You do realize that we're on a Minecraft forum right?

Where even 12 year olds sometimes roam this place. Is that really a subject suitable for 12 year olds who merely want to sell their cobblestone?

Also: eventually the powers that be did come around and gave us more leniency to discuss certain topics.

But once again it does make me wonder: did you come here to play Minecraft, or did you come here to push your own ideals and interests forward?

(edit)

I was going to post this on your profile but I see you made that prive, so I'll just post it here.

Despite my comments and slight criticism I am honestly sad to see you take off. Because as hinted at above: Minecraft can be a lot of fun and I think it's sad if some players don't really enjoy themselves as much for whatever reason.

So with that said I want to wish you all the best and I hope you'll find another server or another hobby which can help you take your mind of things.

Just a fair heads up though... I have it from good sources that in comparison to other servers and their communities (forum) EMC is probably the most lenient of them all. Something I think you should definitely keep in mind.

But... best of luck!
  3. what
    Roslyn and Luneyia like this.
  4. Ive hesitated on making an actual response to this thread other than just memes.

but now ive spent some time mulling this over.

finch, you along with many smp6'ers are my oldest friends on emc. and i dont know the extent of what happened but i do know you rather well.

meaning i know you can tend to be a little bit TOO upfront with the things you share. this didnt used to be so bad with you but i think since your parents have became more accepting you didnt just come out of a proverbial closet you exploded out with a strong concussive force.

im about as left as they come and sometimes you start off conversations like BAM! even i am not ready for it sometimes and i think many times you anger people from the same things.

i remember one time without any provocation you just started talking in detail about your reassignment surgery, i went quiet during that conversation because i didnt want to be rude and just leave but i also really didnt want to hear that. any other person might have a far different reaction to that, and that does not mean they are against anything about you but there are simply some topics that people dont want to discuss.

one of your points was about people not being in support of the lgbtq community and i think that statement in and of itself is unfair and untrue.

i dont support any "community" on a grand scale because i support individuals i know, supporting a community means supporting the bad sides of that community as well which i refuse to take part in. i support you in your search to become whoever you might want to be but with that support i also dont support being hit in the face with it on a routine basis.

ill miss you if you leave chika, but i think you need a break and to go to other communities and to see what is and isnt acceptable there before you start making reactionary responses to ours.
  5. that statement is very untrue and unfair. i dont know a lot about finchs situation to say anything about it but in real life you cant just /ignore and block someone who's bullying or harassing you. in the real world there are people who will bully you for nothing you've ever done. its wrong but its real. and if you're one of those who are strong enough not to be affected by this, it's your responsibility to take care of others who are weaker and can't hold up on their own. saying its somehow their fault they go through these things isnt a solution.

i understand that there's an extent to which people are responsible for the consequences of their actions, but that doesn't apply to every bullying situation
    We3_MPO and MerRhyAndBright like this.
  6. The only thing unfair about this is that you put the worlds " real life " into a quote talking about a video game.
  7. Hm, Wiktionary gave me the idea it was a word used in English, in this context.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  8. i dont know if you meant it that way or not, but the way you said "One only gets bullied as much as they allow themselves to be bullied" made it seem that you were talking about bullying in general. all im trying to say is that its not fair to validate bullies that way
  9. Bye Finch. Good luck in your future.
  10. I see both sides of this but, to me, Dark is saying that you allow the bullies to bully you as much as you can put up with. anyone can go to a teacher, a parent, a friend or even just avoid them the best you can.

I don't see how he is validating bullies to me he kinda means stand up for yourself, don't just let yourself be bullied like I said above you can talk to people or avoid them and take it into your own hands. Maybe it is just me but that's how I read it.
    Roslyn, The_Mancub and Alicexoxo like this.
  11. There's not much to know. She starts crap with people then calls them homophobic or transphobic and posts things like this to guilt trip people into doing things for her. She's doing more harassment than anyone else is. Also, yah sure you can't /ignore, but if you can't ignore someone in real-life, you need to work on it, because it's necessary and it's not that difficult.

I know you're trying to single us out and say we're "bullying her for nothing she's ever done" but any crap thrown her way is retaliation. I personally have started very little with Finch, I just don't want to take the same crap from her.
  12. ATTENTION
    1) Finchy is upset
    2) this thread is NOT for you entertainment so stop treating it like it is.
    3) I personally don't think of this as a religious topic, because LGBTQ+ is spread throughout every religion and every race, and people who make fun of her are still bullying, which is NEVER okay.
    Jelle68, 607, Harp4Christ and 3 others like this.
  13. ATTENTION
    1) So are we
    2) Nobody is, bud
    3) Well whether you think it is or not, it is, and that's an indisputable fact
  14. That's not how it works. Just because there's people in a certain religion who like other people of the same-sex doesn't mean it's not a religious issue.

It absolutely is a religious debate, for reasons such as Leviticus 18:22 (both the Hebrew and Christian Bibles) ;"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."/"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (and they say god is all-loving lol)

The Thirteen Colonies, and thus the United States, were founded by religious extremists who reported to these Bibles, hence why America is extremely anti-LGBT. Many Muslim countries (you can see which ones because they're the only ones with anti-gay laws) that reported to Christian mother countries also follow these bibles in a similar light.

It's a religious issue. You can't deny that. And since this is an American server, flaunting about how trans you are and seemingly basing all your conversations and entire life on a Minecraft server on it probably isn't a good idea. I still don't really believe the bullying claims, but if any took place this is probably the reason for it.

Furthermore, we're not trying to seek entertainment from this thread in any way whatsoever. We're highlighting a problem someone doesn't seem to recognise they're making.
    The_Mancub, Luneyia, Roslyn and 2 others like this.
  15. Some real community behavior here. I'm so proud. Sigh. Some of you really need an off switch. It's funny, you're complaining about finch being aggressive with her info when you're doing the same with your opinion of it. This is a game forum, not a grandstand. So sad.
  16. They have good reason to say their opinion?

17. I just wanted to say as a church going christian that in the bible, God's morality towards mankind transcends as you get to the New Testament in which teachings are delved into more thoroughly so that we come to understand him. And i agree with everything you've stated, 110%

I know that bible verse can be a bit daunting and sensitive for people who aren't church goers... haha!
    607, Tbird1128, ShelLuser and 2 others like this.
  18. The amount of negitvitity on this thread is upsetting.
    While yes, could finch have worded some things better and provided evidence? Perhaps.

But if you've got nothing nice to say and are going to treat this thread like a joke, or going to be mean to finch then you'd be better not posting at all. I already knew of course some players would do this as it's in their nature, but I was shocked to see the rude responses from other players. We're all the same, we like playing video games and love Minecraft so this is a great community to gather around. We all have unique personalities but that doesn't give anyone a right to pick on anyone else just because of their gender or sexual orientation. It really is sad to see all the rude comments because people think they're better than others.

As for your comment sean, on when finch made her profile private, maybe it's because people like you.

And for you people using the bible to justify being rude on this thread,
    My brothers and sisters, you are believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ. So treat everyone the same. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes. And suppose a poor man in dirty old clothes also comes in. 3 Would you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes? Would you say, “Here’s a good seat for you”? Would you say to the poor man, “You stand there”? Or “Sit on the floor by my feet”? 4 If you would, aren’t you treating some people better than others? Aren’t you like judges who have evil thoughts?

As for you Finch, I'm sorry people are treating you this way but know there are people who care about you and won't treat you like others. If you ever need to talk about anything my inbox is open! Hopefully I'll see you around in the future, but for now take care!
    DrasLeona247, 607, Tbird1128 and 5 others like this.
  19. We're not treating this thread as a joke, and we're not being mean. Most of the replies here have been okay and decent criticisms that are a response towards the original post, I'd say.
    Nobody has done that in this thread.
    Literally nobody has done that in this thread either. I pointed out that the old testament makes this is a religious issue after someone said it wasn't. While what Luneyia said about the New Testament is absolutely true, there are certain Christian denominations within the US and other places, as well as the Jewish faith, that don't follow the teachings of God after he leaves his... edgy phase? I apologise for any disrespect in that statement but I genuinely don't know what else you'd call it.
    I'm not.

Let's all agree that this thread is a big giant cluster**** (I LOVE FILL IN THE BLANKS) that shouldn't even still be open.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.