[Bug Team] Iron Farm Users - Are your farms working?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by JackBiggin, Apr 9, 2013.

1. The summary of this issue is that its not an EMC bug - We've 100% ruled out entity limiter here.

We had this exact same issue before the entity limiter was even made...

It all boils down to there being a lot more people using farms now, and there appears to be an overall server limit on # of farms active at once.

I see one section of code that seems to be capping villages at 64, once it hits 64 it stops counting that villager, and looks like it will rotate the oldest off 20 times a tick to add more.

Problem is, when multiple farms are active and you can have 200 cells trying to be active, your ONE cell may become active.... but it only becomes active for 3 seconds.

This means extremely slow spawn rate.

Essentially, the more farms active, the slower it goes.

Now, im not 100% sure on these findings from the code, it would require alot more research to be sure.

I do not have the time to work on this currently, we got alot more important stuff that needs working on instead before we try to change vanilla game mechanics..

So it will be up to you the players to try to work together on scheduling when to use farms just like the utopia people did many months ago.

And upping that limit may not even be acceptable -- Utopia was destroyed with lag from iron farms before with only 5 ~ players on, this would not be acceptable to happen again especially on the SMP's where they already got alot more lag from normal play.
    PenguinDJ, jkjkjk182 and southpark347 like this.
  2. Some of the comments I've seen here lead me to wonder whether Villages are being unloaded properly when no one is nearby. We have Villages overpopulating beyond Entity limits, Aikar says we're probably over server limits in total Villages even when servers are empty, and people can get their farms to work by logging in and out. We've had other problems before this where chunks weren't unloading. I'm inclined to believe this is similar.

I'm on smp3 currently along with two other players. I see from Live Map that one is in Town and the other is in the Wild but doesn't appear to have anything resembling an Iron farm anywhere in his vicinity. I've only ever noticed one other farm on smp3. Usually I have ingots sitting here ready when I get to the collection point. Today and every time since the last update that I've gone there there is nothing.

The time of day I usually use it there aren't very many people online so I don't see how we could have enough active farms to hit any limits, especially since this was working before.

Our Villagers have been breeding which is new, but they've never gone very high. Possibly because the babies somehow get loose and we've been egging or killing them. They hadn't done that previously. We have also been getting Golems spawning outside of the water streams. The latter would suggest to me that whatever data the server uses to determine where a Village is is jumbled up.

So maybe a Village gets loaded and becomes invalidated and can't be unloaded, then the same Village gets loaded again and so on until the limit is hit. In the meantime we have Golems and baby Villagers spawning in odd locations and Villagers breeding like they have a million doors in their Village.
  3. aikar it seems possible that when someone has alot villagers liek 200 or so it effects iron farms server wide
    yesterday latino seb had entcount of 380 way more then normal and noones iron farm worked when he finisht killing off the exces villagers mine and randomzh started working like 1 minute later
  4. So let me try put together different Issues:
    (Please correct me when I'm wrong or forgot something)

- "Village Limit" at 64 per Server, but active villages will rotate. E.g. when 192 Villages should be active, each spawns golems at 33% the rate.

- "Villager AI Bug" We don't know the cause but LatinoSeb was able to shut down some/most other Villages completly with 380 entcount at his setup. [Edit] (Oh and some setup (likely the same) also causes villagers to breed even they should not.) Me personally thinks that wooden doors outside cells could have an influence. A proper farm does not have any wooden doors outside of cells. [/Edit]

- (Entity Limit of 380 did not remove villagers down to 250?)

- "Villager Performance Bug" Me and Pth (only together) were able to slow down utopia by a major factor. (2 TPS instead of 20TPS)
  5. Uncontrolled breeding over door limit
  6. Im hoping the TPS issue was fixed, as weve def got alot of farms now and not seeing it.

As for entity limiter -- its very tricky to understand auto kill.

/entc is showing counts from YOUR perspective, however auto kill will do the check from the entities perspective.

Sitting the middle of pods is def going to show you over 250 in many cases, but if you stand on a pod, youll see its under 250.

as for the spawning placement - I have no idea really. EMC nor Spigot nor even CB that I know of has made changes to spawning placement.

The only thing I can see is if the center of the village is calculated incorrectly.

for those who see spawns outside of the pod, is it consistently on a certain side?
  7. If anyone has java experience you can checkout craftbukkit and look at VillageCollection.java for a good starting point.
  8. Grr... just noticed my tiny farm's not working either. Lookin' around the map I see one dude sitting still on a huge complex of farms. Very frustrating.
  9. After tearing down the previous farm I said worked fine to try to upgrade it to the one found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFaCNsuD01k, I've been having some issues. (I suggest watching the explanation section of the video to fully understand what follows.) After it goes through the process of setting up the villages and getting all of the golem spawn points to be in the center of the main building, only one golem spawns (this consistently happens, I've tested it several times and each only yielded the iron from one golem) and it then restarts the rebuilding process.

To try to solve the issue myself, I downloaded the world and tested out the exact setup I built on the server using the Village Marker Mod to track village creation. Oddly enough, everything worked fine in Singleplayer and golems constantly spawned as they should. I'm not sure exactly what the issue may be, but it may have something to do with the problem where too many villagers are loaded on the server. Anyway, something is causing the farm to not work correctly.
  10. In the follow up video he states that if there are more than 100+ villagers on the entire server it would take longer for each village to establish. So if you make the time it waits for each village to establish longer, it should work.

Its been a while since I watched the video, so I don't really remmeber what i was thinking to make it take longer. But if I recall correctly it used items in hoppers/droppers to control the timing so try adding more items to the appropriate hoppers/dropper.
  11. Some things work better in sp them smp's, since smp's use bukkit. My own iron farm is an old style one and works fine but I know other ppls on other servers don't work so well. Aikar did mention that this may be caused by several iron farms working at the same time on the same server and so will only allow so many golems to spawn at any one time.
  12. Its only one village per server will spawn golem's, So only one iron farm will work at one time on a server. You have to wait for some one at there farm to log off before yours will start to work.
  13. Only 64 villages at a time work "properly", but I imagine as people have been saying there are chunk loading/unloading errors as this happens all the time anyways.
  14. Its all way been a working or not thing for me, not a rotating/slow spawns thing.

When mine is not working I look at all the iron farm's on the live map and usually there is some one at there's (if its a non-supporter or supporter not hiding from the map)

/shrug
  15. my farm on smp6 works fine :D pretty sure im the only one with a working farm on there tho lol
  16. My smp2 16 cell Iron Farm works wonders. Never has it been bad or stopped working.
  17. My 36 Cell Farm needs some work. Iron Golems keep spawning in weird places. lol
  18. Half slab :)
  19. lol, yes; but they are spawning in areas that are only 2 blocks tall. AND... in the water with my villagers. All fixable - just a lot of work... for 36 different cells. *sigh*
    samsimx likes this.