Book Recommendation/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hashhog, May 25, 2015.

1. These three are my favorite books, and I googled each summary because I'm really bad at explaining things in detail and I'd probably make them sound worse. The first two are satirical novels, while the third is more of an autobiography.

1. Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk

Beginning at the end, Tender Branson is on a suicide mission, flying an empty 747 that he hijacked. He is telling his story into the black box as the plane goes down. Tender Branson is part of the Creedish Church—a cult to outsiders—and almost completely alone at this point. Ten years in the past, someone spilled all of the secrets of the Church and put their “integrity” at risk. Fearing the discovery and forced demise of the Church, the members commit mass suicide. And all of those like Tender—the ones let out to explore—are expected to kill themselves, as the Deliverance is here. Trying to lay low, Tender works as a housekeeper to a family he never sees. He starts receiving phone calls from people wanting to kill themselves—the newspaper accidentally published his number under a crisis hotline ad—to which he responds with a go-ahead-and-end-it attitude more often than not. Meeting with a therapist that specializes in members of cults with suicide pacts, Tender tries to live a decently normal life. But we learn about what the Creedish Church did and we realize that Tender Branson could never be normal.

2. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Billy Pilgrim travels in time. Most of his travels revolve around his experiences as a prisoner of war in World War II. Because he is a time traveller, he always knows what the outcome of each experience will be. Billy, who was recently in a plane crash, is eager to tell the world about the wisdom of the planet Tralfamadore, whose residents kidnapped him. While his daughter berates him, he travels to his war experiences. After a major battle, Billy is hiding behind enemy lines with three other soldiers. One of them is Roland Weary, who is about to beat Billy, when they are captured by the Germans. On his march to the railyards, Billy time travels to his optometry office in Ilium. He listens to a speech at the Lion’s club in favor of blanket bombing in Vietnam, then goes home for a nap. He returns to World War II...

3. Night by Elie Wiesel

At the beginning of Night, Wiesel introduces someone he met toward the end of 1941. His name was Moshe, and he became one of the boy’s teachers. They discussed religious topics, and one day they talked about prayer. Wiesel asked Moshe why he prayed, and his teacher replied that he prayed for strength to ask God the right questions. In a matter of days, Sighet’s Jews had to deal with quarantines, expropriations of their property, and the yellow stars that targeted them. Then they were ghettoized and deported. Jammed into train cars, destination unknown, the Jews of Sighet—Elie Wiesel, his little sister, Tzipora, and their parents among them—eventually crossed the Polish frontier and arrived at Auschwitz-Birkenau. Emerging from their train-car prisons into midnight air fouled by burning flesh, the Jews of Sighet were separated by the secret police: men to the left, women to the right...
  2. Bump. :)
    607 likes this.
  3. Right. I will just list the titles of lots of books lol.

The maze runner (who would of guessed lol) and the rest of the series
    Harry Potter series
    The boy in striped Pyjamas
    Wildwood trilogy
    Trylle
    Egg and spoon
    The winners curse
    Dunger
    The mortal instruments series and the infernal devices trilogy
    Lord of the rings
    The hobbit
    Shattered
    More than this
    The walking chaos trilogy
    Eragon
    Frozen (NOTHING to do with the movie xD)
  4. A Book that I really want to read, but I don't got monies for at the moment is Bioshock: Rapture from John Shirley.
    If You are a fan of the game You'll like the book.

Now, there's a book I've read not long ago, that I really liked. Metro 2033. They made a game based on the book... So after I played it I thought, "Hey let's go see that book". If You like Post Apocalyptic scenarios, adventure and suspense this book is for You. Dmitry Glukovsky's Metro 2033.

Now, If you are more onto graphic stuff, I've read once Fallout New Vegas: All Roads. It's a graphic novel from the game series Fallout. I'm a huge fan of the series so I couldn't say no XD.
    Anyways, I'm not sure if You'll like it but, the book itself was meant to be for the people who wanted to understand Fallout New Vegas' story better.

Now another thing I used to read a lot when I was a kid, Manga and Comics. I used to read Megaman's Manga.
    I guess I still like it a bit. Not much as I used to... But I do :D.
    And I used to read this Brazilian comic book, Mónica's Gang (Turma da Mónica). It's a pretty good comic book and pretty funny too! They even made a satire about Minecraft.

I'll leave the pictures of the books down here. Enjoy!
    Novel_Paperback_Cover.jpg 71hjua45zel-_sl1223_.jpg 0025cef6_medium.jpeg Monica_gang_logo.jpg
    Bioshock Metro 2033 Fallout NV Monica's Gang
    leoumbrella likes this.
  5. Bump. Added an adorable bookworm picture to the main post. :D
    Tuqueque likes this.
  6. A lot of my reading is in academia so it can be a bit on the dry side. However, if anyone is interested in human rights or international affairs (a division of political science), I'll be more than happy to drop some books here. :)
    Tuqueque, WayneKramer and Hashhog like this.
  7. Not going to quote George here, but Night is a very good read. It is one of those books everyone must read eventually. But I warn you, once you read Night you cannot ever "un-read" it. It is about the Jewish holocaust in WWII, and there are many terrifying things in it that you WILL have nightmares about. I strongly suggest you are 14+ for this. (That's the depressing year of High School English)

On a lighter note, anyone and everyone, no matter age/gender, needs to read the Warriors series. They are extremely well written and have an amazing plot that you have to get to know. Then again, this one does have a bit of visual stuff in it too, although not anywhere close to the scale of Night. It is minor blood and murdering, but it is easier to get over. It is about a house cat that one day makes the decision that his spoiled life is not enough and runs away into the woods. In there, he finds four guilds of wild cats that hunt and fight for their lives. He becomes a part of them despite many challenges and faces many enemies over time. This series is a suitable read for anyone. WARNING: IF YOU ARE A GRAMMAR NAZI THE DON'T READ THIS! YOUR HEAD WILL EXPLODE (there are so many typos... SO many typos)

The Giver is an amazing read, in fact there is a movie about it. I don't like the movie as much as the book for the simple reason that it gives the book a definite end. It Is an awe inspiring one, but still definite. The book is about a boy in a utopian society who needs to act as the "keeper" in a sense of the memories of everything from pain to joy, love to detest. The rest of society has been stripped of these qualities, their sole purpose being to keep the human race alive. But that all changes when the main character makes a certain choice. Go read and find out. :) This is probably my favorite read of all time.
  8. Bump. :)
    607 likes this.
  9. I feel like I should point out that the Warriors series is broken down into mini-series of 6 (unless that changed) and that once you get past the first two mini-series (12 books) the entire series starts to change a lot, so though I would recommend making your own decision, I don't really like the books as much after the first twelve because they have to much magic which makes it very different from the first few, though the side books tend to be very good (I haven't read all of them so I can't say for all of them) Finally, this is my personal opinion but I would advise against the author's other two series, Seekers and this newer one about dogs (I think), though I can't remember why I didn't like the Seekers, but I think the Erin Hunter just has to much work (three series at once unless she stopped doing one of them) to put to much thought into any one series. This is all personal opinion though, so I strongly recommend you find out for yourself.
    607, boozle628 and hashhog3000 like this.
  10. I remember that back when I read that series, I definitely agreed. The addition of all those extra prophecies and powers just weren't my cup of tea, but the first arc (and possibly the second, I don't really remember it) was pretty good. I also agree that the add on "Super-Additions" are generally okay. :)
    607 likes this.
  11. Erin Hunter isn't one person. :p

All the books were written by a whole bunch of people, but I believe a few stopped writing Warriors after the first two mini-series. Because that is when they launched Seekers and that other series.
    607 and hashhog3000 like this.
  12. That's actually a highly interesting fact that I was never aware of... my whole childhood is, once again, a lie. :p
    930o4, boozle628 and 607 like this.
  13. This reminds me of something: do you know those Italian books, by Geronimo Stilton and Thea Stilton? They're children books, written by a mouse. So at first I thought it was just someone pretending to be a mouse... until I realised he wrote like ten books a year.
    By now I've read so many of those books I can already distinguish different writers and illustrators a bit :p
    BlinkyBinky, PineappleGem and Hashhog like this.
  14. Huh... Hah?!!!
    I always thought authors held their pennames with pride, not share with others ;.;

Btw i've already read most of the books in this thread. *.* alot of them as school assignments, too >.>
  15. Bah. Am I the only one who reads the "About the Author" section? :p
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  16. I read those all the time now xD
    When I was little, no >.>
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  17. "Vault 25" is good
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  18. 3 Specifically, the number never changes. I don't believe the writers have either, but maybe.
  19. OK, I recently read City of Thieves, and it was one of the greatest pieces of literature that I have encountered. However, I must warn everyone, it takes place during the Siege of Leningrad and takes on some EXTREMELY dark themes.

Also, I found this great new series called Harry Potter. You should probably check it out.
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  20. I realy liked ''Crime and Punishment", written by Fyodor Dostoyevski.

The poverty-stricken Raskolnikov, a talented student, devises a theory about extraordinary men being above the law, since in their brilliance they think “new thoughts” and so contribute to society. He then sets out to prove his theory by murdering a vile, cynical old pawnbroker and her sister. The act brings Raskolnikov into contact with his own buried conscience and with two characters — the deeply religious Sonia, who has endured great suffering, and Porfiry, the intelligent and discerning official who is charged with investigating the murder — both of whom compel Raskolnikov to feel the split in his nature.
    WayneKramer and Hashhog like this.