Book Recommendation/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hashhog, May 25, 2015.

1. Sorry, I edited it the original post, I meant to say it it is like your usual fantasy series XD.
    Thanks for pointing that out, cause I am sure it confused quite a few people :p!
    607 likes this.
  2. I added a new recommendation. :) This one was interesting to me because for whatever reason I haven't read too many first person multiple viewpoint novels, but I think this one did the job perfectly. :)
    607 and poofasaurus like this.
  3. Jodi Picoult is great for that sort of thing :)
  4. I put the "bump" in, uh, "bump!" :D
    Kephras likes this.
  5. Ok, my reccomendation? No Safety In Numbers by Dayna Lorentz! This book is AMAZING! It's a more apocalyptictype book, but not how you'd think apocalyptic books to be. However, even though I am a young reader, I would NOT suggest this book for young readers. There is a good bit of language and other mature material in that book, but hey, it's still great. It's funny, and one of the main characters may mention Minecraft in there ;)
  6. Bumperooni
    Penguinub likes this.
  7. Books books books books books... I.. Love... BOOKS!!! :)
  8. Is that the title of a book? :)
  9. I look forward to the day when I can post my own work here... :D
  10. I must admit I haven't read a book in about a year *bad jossy bad!* but I love books! I'm trying to get back into reading so i went all out and bought several books last month xD Also I have no idea how you guys shortened your posts so forgive me for such a long post D: but here are a few of my favorites:
    Flowers in the Attic:In this novel, four siblings are locked in a secluded second story room in the childhood home of their mother after the death of their father. The children are told they will only have to remain here until their grandfather has died and left his entire estate to their mother. However, as the years pass and the children have been locked away for more than three years, they begin to doubt their mother's devotion to their safety and begin searching for a way to escape. Flowers in the Attic is a dark, Gothic tale of greed and incest that will keep readers spellbound until the final paragraph.
    I absolutely love this book! I have not read the other books in the series but this was my favorite book as a kid and in fact the ONLY book I've read multiple times. There is mature content in it so be warned young readers.

The Secret Garden: Mary Lennox is a very troubled, sickly, and unloved 10-year-old girl who was born in India to selfish, wealthy British parents who never wanted her and were too wrapped up in their own lives to love or care about her. She was taken care of primarily by servants, who pacified her as much as possible to keep her out of her parents' way. Spoiled and selfish, she is aggressive, surly, rude, and obstinate. Later, there is a cholera epidemic which hits India and kills her parents and all the servants. She is discovered alone but alive after the house is empty. She briefly lives with an English clergyman and his family and is then sent to Yorkshire, England, to live with Archibald Craven, an uncle she has never met, at his home called Misselthwaite Manor. At first, Mary is her usual self, sour and rude, disliking her uncle's large house, the people within it and most of all the vast stretch of moor, which seems scrubby and grey after the winter. She is told that she must stay confined to her two rooms and that nobody will bother much with her and she must amuse herself. Martha Sowerby, a good-natured maid, tells Mary a story of the late Mrs. Craven and how she would spend hours in a private walled garden growing roses. Later, Mrs. Craven fell to her death when she sat on a tree branch that broke under her weight, and Mr. Craven had the garden locked and the key buried. Mary is roused by this story and starts to soften her ill manner despite herself. Soon, she begins to lose her disposition and gradually comes to enjoy the company of Martha, Ben Weatherstaff the gardener, and also that of a friendly robin redbreast, to whom she attaches human qualities. Her appetite increases and she finds herself getting stronger as she plays by herself on the moor. Mary's time is occupied by wondering about the secret garden and a strange crying sound that can sometimes be heard around the house which the servants ignore or deny. This is another one of my faves as a kid I've read this book a couple times xD I always wanted my own secret garden :p

Fever, 1793: During the summer of 1793, Mattie Cook lives above the family coffee shop with her widowed mother and grandfather. Mattie spends her days avoiding chores and making plans to turn the family business into the finest Philadelphia has ever seen. But then the fever breaks out. Disease sweeps the streets, destroying everything in its path and turning Mattie's world upside down. At her feverish mother's insistence, Mattie flees the city with her grandfather. But she soon discovers that the sickness is everywhere, and Mattie must learn quickly how to survive in a city turned frantic with disease.
    I read this in 9th grade its a good book especially since I'm from Philly. It's a short read, I read it in one day, but then again I'm a fast reader ;) It's a fiction but the yellow fever really did hit Philadelphia in 1793 so it made me like the book even more.

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy: This series is a cross between period fiction and Fantasy. The story revolves around Gemma Doyle, a young woman sent from her home in British India to the boarding school, Spence Academy, after the mysterious death of her mother. There she meets Ann, Felicity, and Pippa, three other remarkable young women and together they discover the dark past of their school, revolving closely around a mystical group referred to as The Order. In the first book, they find out that this group of sorceresses was forced to disband after one of their own, a woman named Sarah Rees-Toome,betrayed them. Throughout the series Gemma learns of her own heritage and the magical powers she possesses, including the ability to enter "The Realms," a magical world in which dreams can become reality, but everything seems to have a cost. This series addresses some of the issues faced by women in the late 1800s, and creates parallels to issues faced by women today. There are many female characters, and the struggles they encounter on their journey to becoming empowered both within and outside of The Realms ring true. Other themes include dissecting dualities (in particular, the duality between good and evil;) free will versus fate; going against social norms; power; and, most of all, the concept of choice.
    My favorite book series of all time! (A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and A Sweet Far Thing are the three books) If you love fantasy or period fiction this is the series for you!

607 and Hashhog like this.
  11. Nh
    Nah.
  12. I found the Thomas Covenant series very good.
  13. What series
    What Series?
  14. It's a series of 10 (fantasy) books that were written by Stephen Donaldson (starting in the 70's I believe).
  15. I've read many many books, but the few series that have really stood out for me are:

The Mortal Instruments: Amazing fantasy series, aimed at teenagers. (Please excuse my horrible explaining skills) A young girl called Clary goes to a club with her antisocial friend Simon. They see a boy run into a store room, so they get curious and follow him. Meeting the boy reveals a world of supernatural creatures and demons, that Clary and Simon get involved in. The world is secretly protected by a group of people called Shadowhunters. There are Shadowhunters in every city, protecting it from demon and unruly supernaturals, like werewolves, vampires and warlocks.

The Inheritance Cycle, Eragon: Wow, this book series. A young boy lives on a farm with his uncle and older brother. One day while hunting in the forest, he finds a strange stone. He tries to sell the stone to get some money for his family, however everyone declines his offers as the stone came from The Spine, a dangerous area of the village. The stone is later discovered to be an egg, of which a dragon hatches from.

Warrior Cats: Wait! Give this book series a chance, it's much better than you think. A young cat called Rusty dreams of running free in the wild and catching prey in the forest, free from the dry food he eats and the restrictions of his home. However the forest behind Rusty's home fence is rumored to be the home to vicious cats that tear house pets like him to pieces. But one day when Rusty is practicing his skills on a mouse, he is approached by the vicious clan cats of the forest. The leader of one of the clans approaches him, and offers him a place in their clan, Thunder Clan. After a day of thinking, Rusty accepts. He must abandon his comfortable past and earn his place in the clan.

Forgive me for rambling on a bit, I could go on about many many more books, but thats all I have for now
    JParsonsX and 607 like this.
  16. Ahh... Cool
  17. o
    I know of Warriors and Eragon, but not the first one. Have you read Moby Dick? It's a good book. Classics are good
  18. Lots of Inheritance and Warriors fans in this thread, it seems. Those two keep coming up with surprising frequency ;)
    607 and AliceTheFox like this.
  19. I haven't read Moby Dick actually, I really should soon though... I'm currently reading the book version of Sword Art Online, might have to pick up Moby Dick after Im finished with it