Book Recommendation/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hashhog, May 25, 2015.

1. Bump with a new recommendation. This is my first nonfiction addition, but I think it's worth a look. :)
    607 likes this.
  2. Bump. :) I checked out a recommendation or two today. I look forward to reading them. :)
    607 likes this.
  3. For you Manga fans out there I found a pretty cool manga and pretty funny too. It's called Hetalia: Axis Powers.

Here's a quick info I found on the internet that may help you understand it better.

"Hetalia: Axis Powers (Japanese: ヘタリア Axis Powers Hepburn: Hetaria Akushisu Pawāzu ?) is a Japanese webcomic, later adapted as a manga and an anime series, by Hidekaz Himaruya. The series' main presentation is as an often over-the-top allegory of political and historic events as well as more general cultural comparisons. Characters are personifications of countries, regions such as Hong Kong, and micronations such as the Principality of Sealand,[citation needed] with little reference to other national personifications such as Uncle Sam or John Bull. Both positive and negative cultural stereotypes form part of each character's personality."

The manga is for +16 and contains Humor and Historical Content.

By the way, there's also an anime if You don't like reading. (found that out today XD)
    607 likes this.
  4. I can't believe I haven't managed to create a thread like this myself :p
    I have read so much that I find it hard sometimes to dig through all the crap out there to find a good read. :)

I would recommend the book "The throne of glass."

It is a fantasy about a female assassin who is freed from her life sentence to the salt mines in order to be a soldier from the imperial king, whom she is not very fond of. The book definitely has its funny moments. There is definitely some feminism in there too. :confused:
    607 likes this.
  5. I suggest all books written by Kurt Vonnegut, but to name a few, Slaughter House-Five, Cat's Cradle, The Sirens of Titan, and While Mortals Sleep. I'd say all his books are of slightly mature content.
  6. Cat's Cradle was a great book, I really enjoyed it.
  7. I can suggest any One Direction or Justin Bieber book.
  8. PenguinDJ and nfell2009 like this.
  9. *cracks knuckles* This is my time to finally talk about my favorite hobby called I have bought 20+ books from Goodwill recently but really, I love the idea of this thread because I'm a book nerd. I enjoy a range of books that are almost always fiction, and sometimes, historical fiction (Which is great for the history I miss reading). I might recommend books from an app for my phone called "Wattpad" where regular people can post their own stories/books.

After The First Death by Robert Cormier
    Back cover:
    Who will be the next to die?
    They've taken the children. And the son of a general. But that isn't enough. More horrors must come....

Opinion:
    Interesting book with interesting characters, you get to see from both sides of a situation gone wrong.
    Suspense/thriller

5 Very Good Reasons To Punch A Dolphin In The Mouth by The Oatmeal
    Opinion:
    Anything done by The Oatmeal is a humor based. It's a graphic novel with colorful, and simple cartoon pages. It's a series of shorts throughout a book, with no real plot.
    Humor

Artemis Fowl: Series by Eoin Colfer
    Opinion:
    Okay, so I've only read the second book of the series, but I'm searching for the first and own the third and fourth. This series is that good, it's about a boy who is a super genius, to the point that basically fairy F.B.I are trying to arrest him, then work with him. Interesting read, I loved it, and so did my brother who never reads.
    Fantasy

Cop by Michael L. Middleton
    *Warning: Graphic Content*
    Back cover:
    What's it like to sit in the front seat of a patrol car, cruising darkened city streets, when the radio crackles to life and sends you down an alley to a "robbery in progress," the outcome of which you can't possibly predict? What's it like to knock on a crack-house door, gun drawn, not knowing who-or-what is behind it? What's it like, heart pounding in your chest, to stare down the barrel of a gun pointed straight at you by a suspect high on drugs? Cop shows you what it's like. It's the explosive story of Sergeant Michael Middleton, a now retired police veteran who worked some of the toughest streets in Los Angeles. During his two decades on the force, Middleton investigated thousands of felony crimes, made as many arrests, and was at the scene of hundreds of murders-including those of give officers killed in the line of duty.

Opinion:
    One book I bought but haven't finished, Cop is a great book, it's a bit out of my genre, it's non-fiction, yet it pulls you in. Each short story is a part of a bigger plot, and it starts from his beginning, so there is a bit of L.A history ;)
    Non-fiction/Crime

The Serial Killers Club by Jeff Povey
    Back cover:
    When our hero finds himself in the path of a serial killer, he somehow manages to defend himself, and give the blood-thirsty madman a taste of his own medicine. But when he goes through the dead man's wallet, he finds a mysterious personal ad inviting him to join a party hosted by Errol Flynn. What begins with passing curiosity soon becomes uncontrollable obsession, as our hero becomes acquainted with 18 killers. Their game: to share the thrill of the hunt and to make sure no two members choose the same two victims. To protect their identities, they have all chosen names of old Hollywood stars, and before long, our hero becomes Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. But he has no intention of following the rules. With a government special agent on his trail who will soon become his partner in crime, "Dougie" plans to knock off the killers one by one, from Carole Lombard to Chuck Norris, to Laurence Olivier and Cher. But what happens when the "stars" notice their numbers dropping?

Opinion:
    My recent obsession, the book pulled me in by its title alone, and then I started reading and couldn't stop. The concept also made me love the book, of a serial killers club, where a simple guy who didn't think he would murder becomes a serial killer. Great read.
    Mystery

Fallen Angels or Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers
    Opinion:
    First, Walter Dean Myers, R.I.P, he is one of the greatest authors to me, he's also written a popular book called Monster which I recommend also, but back to these two books. Fallen Angels is the first one, Sunrise Over Fallujah references to the first one, so I recommend read both, but you can read just either or. Books about war, either Vietnam, or Iraq, two boys, uncle and nephew that join the army and face straggles.
    Historical Fiction

The Dogs Who Found Me by Ken Foster
    Back cover:
    Disaster-prone writer and reluctant dog rescuer Ken Foster finds himself adopting an ever-growing collection of stray dogs, from a beagle abandoned in a New York City dog run to a pit bull in a Mississippi truck stop. Their circumstances offer a grounding counterpoint to his own misfortunes: the shock of New York City after 9/11, the evacuation of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, and the day his heart nearly stopped for good.

Opinion:
    Dogs, and puppies..Do I need to say more?
    Non-Fiction

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater
    Back Cover:
    found.
    Cole St. Clair has come to California for one reason: to get Isabel Culpeper back. She fled from his damaged, drained life, and damaged and drained it even more. He doesn't just want her. He needs her.
    lost.
    Isabel is trying to build herself a life in Los Angeles. It's not really working. She can play the game as well as all the other fakes...but what's the point? What is there to win?
    sinner.
    Cole and Isabel share a past that never seemed to have a future. They have the power to save each other and the power to tear each other apart. The only thing for certain is that they cannot let go.

Opinion:
    So, this book is interesting because when I bought it, and didn't know it was a series and read it. It's the fourth book in a series called The Wolves of Mercy Falls, either way, I loved it.
    Fantasy/Paranormal

hashhog3000 likes this.
  10. Yes, The Oatmeal is, er, creative. :p I can't say I've actually read any of his graphic novel books (only the online comics) so I may very well have to go check that out. Great list of recommendations you've posted here! :)
  11. The Man In The High Castle - Philip K Dick

Watchmen - Alan Moore
  12. I also have How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting To Kill You and My Dog, The Paradox any of them are good laughs, but My Dog, The Paradox is a short, one shot comic
    PineappleGem, 607 and hashhog3000 like this.
  13. If anyone is interested in classic English literature, I'd recommend basically anything that Jane Austen has written. Except Northanger Abbey. Haven't gotten through that one yet...
    Kytula and hashhog3000 like this.
  14. I will be listing my recommendations by series. My recommendations are as follows:

Non-Christian Fantasy

by Rick Riordan
    Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Don't judge the books by the movies. The movies were horrible.)
    The Heroes of Olympus (essentially Percy Jackson Part 2)
    The Kane Chronicles

by John Flanagan
    Ranger's Apprentice (This is possibly my favorite secular book series.)
    The Brotherband Chronicles

by Christopher Paolini
    The Inheritance Series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance)

by Michael J. Sullivan
    The Riyria Revelations
    The Riyria Chronicles (Read the others first because this is a prequel series.)

by Brandon Sanderson
    The Reckoners Chronicles

Christian Fantasy

by C. S. Lewis
    The Chronicles of Narnia

by John White
    The Archives of Anthropos (These are very similar to the Chronicles of Narnia and, if you liked Narnia, I recommend you read them.)

by Ted Dekker
    The Circle Series

by Wayne Thomas Batson
    The Door Within Trilogy

by Katherine Kurtz
    The Chronicles of the Deryni
    The Histories of King Kelson
    The Childe Morgan Trilogy (This is another prequel. Feel free to read this series before you read the first one.)

Because I was to lazy to post summaries, feel free to start a conversation with me if you have any questions about any of the series.
    607 and hashhog3000 like this.
  15. The movies were decent, the books were better.

I still havent read Heroes of Olympus Part 5... Summer to-do list! ;)

Did you see the new book coming in October? The Blood of Summer listed here.
    PineappleGem and hashhog3000 like this.
  16. I finished The Serial's Killer Club which turned out way better than I originally thought. I spent five hours reading the entire book, and was never once interested in putting it down. Great plot, love the ending with all of the twists
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  17. Alright, now I'm going to be dropping some real obscure ones in here. Stuff you've never heard of before.

1984, George Orwell. Upbeat tale about the abject and complete horror of constant surveillance and control. Makes a good bedtime story for the little ones.

All of them Harry Potter Books, J.K Rowling. Very obscure series, about a magic boy who saves the world because he's so magic and an evil magic person tried to kill him as a baby because he'd be too magic. There's lots of magic.

Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins. Neat book about the future where dodgeball is just as scary as it seems in middle school when all the 8th graders are on the other team. The Hunger Games is like dodgeball if dodgeball was a sick and twisted bloodbath of teenagers to provide entertainment to a pompous ruling class and otherwise nothing like dodgeball.

The Dictionary. Super obscure collaborative work, non-fiction, very interesting. A real doorstop of a book. The character development is just amazing, really goes from A-Z.

(in all seriousness though, I've been reading Making Money by Terry Pratchett and The Devil is A Part-Timer by Satoshi Wagahara, which are both pretty good comedies)
    Kephras, 607 and Hashhog like this.
  18. 1984 is actually the summer reading book I chose to read. I cant wait to read it, I have heard from many people how amazing it is.
    boozle628 and hashhog3000 like this.
  19. Yes, those are great!

xD
    hashhog3000 likes this.