Book Recommendation/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hashhog, May 25, 2015.

1. Yes Moby Dick is a good adventure. For Agatha Christie you should read the orient express, its reputación is well deserved, but my personal favorite is Death on the Nile
    607 likes this.
  2. Just finished the second book of the Broken Earth trilogy. I will have to come back and provide an update after I've finished the whole thing, but it is magnificent. Fantasy-science fiction book which takes place in a world subject to "Seasons," rare events occurring once every few hundred years in which earthquakes devastate the continent, and filled with orogenes, a minority race capable of manipulating rock.

Fantastic narration, wonderful twists, and a completely engrossing story. I liked the first book more than the second, but I hear great things about the third.

EDIT: Done with the third book, and she stuck the landing! Good read, answered my questions, and tied everything up very well. Great trilogy!
  3. I recently borrowed an omnibus from Frances Hodgson Burnett from the library, containing The Secret Garden, A Little Princess and Little Lord Fauntleroy. I'd read The Secret Garden before, about 10 years ago, and the novels were in reverse order of release, so I read them in reverse order.
    I really enjoyed all three novels, and would recommend them to both children and adults. However, while all books were rather pleasant, I felt like The Secret Garden was much more elegant in a way, and more satisfying.
    I think this might be because whereas all three of the novels follow a child who experiences one or multiple changes of fortune, only The Secret Garden stars a child that experiences a change of heart. To me, this makes the book a lot more engaging, and I felt more connected to Mary than I did to the perfect Sara and Cedric.
    Has anyone else read all three, and would you like to share your thoughts?
    jossytheninja likes this.
  4. I havnt seen this thread before so I read some posts and had to comment.
    I cried when I read the Red Wedding. Not only that, I threw the book forcefully at the wall. Contemplating to never ever read something by George ever again. Took me a week or two to pick up the book and start reading it again.

I've read the first 30 or so. I think the last one I read was "Going postal" back in 2004. I think most of them are good books but the quality varies.

Three very good books according to me, can highly recommend.

1) Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree
    2) The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu
    3) The Hedge knight by George RR Martin. (Big author, much less well known book, still a banger) Actually didnt read it per se, my first audiobook that I ever finished.
    607 likes this.
  5. Searched this thread and seen it was mentioned in an older thread in 2013 but not this one. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Recently gotten into works by Hunter S Thompson and is one of the greatest authors I,ve personally seen.
  6. Hm, I can't recall why I asked. :p I mostly know of Discworld from the video game, but I haven't personally played that either, I mostly recall the opening cutscene. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  7. I'm going to be buying a book written by Jennette Mccurdy which details her personal life struggles that she had to put up with as a child actress, most notably as her roles as Sam from iCarly and Sam from Sam & Cat. I heard a lot of great things about the book from others, and I want to understand her better as a person. It will give me an in-depth perspective to what she was going through during the production of those shows.

(I will not mention the book's name here, as it will violate EMC's rules, but Google it and you'll find it.)
    607 likes this.