Book Recommendation/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hashhog, May 25, 2015.

1. I've been reading Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara (also publishes under Michelle Sagara West and Michelle West). 16 book fantasy series, love it. Cast In Wisdom just came out. I told myself I was going to save it till after surgery. Yeah, I devoured it already LOL.
    607 and AmusedStew like this.
  2. Looked up the series and read the synopsis of book one. Now I have to add it to my list- sounds interesting. Unfortunately my list has like 50 series on it so it will take a while to get to lol.
    607 and khixan like this.
  3. The last few series I have read are web novels.

Put simply- web novels are novels that are published on the web, sometimes you can read them for free and other times there is a charge. The authors often publish in chapters rather than books. You can of course find a more in-depth definition but this is in it's simplest terms.

I would like to talk about two off the series I read. Both will contain some 18+ themes whether that pertains to language or violence. When discussing the series, there may be light spoilers, be warned!

Everyone Else is a Returnee

This series is about a guy who leaves college one day only to realize he cannot find anybody else at all! Suddenly an angel comes to him and says that everyone else was transported to different worlds because Earth would soon be going through some dangerous changes. Sadly he was left behind because he is so much of a loner even God didn't realize he existed :(. Initially he is only supposed to be left behind for 10 years but because of time being slowed on Earth to acclimate to the changes- he has to spend 1,000 years with only himself and the angel. You follow his 1000 year journey the first few chapters, but eventually through the magic of time-skips everyone else returns to Earth. You follow his journey as everyone else returns after he has been alone 1000 years.

I really liked this series. The only warning about it I can provide is that because it was originally posted in Korean some things don't make it out of translation great. Also you will see words like "oppa" or "unni" (oppa is a Korean term for referring to an older brother or just an older male who is respected atleast according to Urban dictionary, and unni is the same but for an older sister / older woman).

Advent of the Archmage

This series is about an avid gamer who defeats one of the final bosses of a game (he was in a party of like 1000 against the boss and he was the last alive landing the final hit on the boss). Suddenly he is transported elsewhere when the god of light speaks to him asking if he wants to save the world. Thinking this is just an extra mission to the game, he accepts. You follow his journey as he his transported to a world very similar to the game's but this world is many years in the past! He wakes up in the body of a young noble and uses his future knowledge to try and save the world!

This is the one I just finished like 20 minutes ago. Same as the one above there is some language barrier things from being translated from Korean, but I think the individual who translated this series did a much better job than the series above so much so in fact that there were only like 2 language issues I saw.

I liked this series alot, my only complaint about it is that the ending felt rushed and left me with questions I likely won't get the answers to.

I love reading, I know right now I read more than I play video games... :eek:
    Kephras and 607 like this.
  4. So the most recent series I read is titled City of Sin, it is a Chinese web novel. This series does have some 18+ stuff so beware (I think nearly everything I read nowadays has some adult themes be it violence, language, etc...).

The series has 9 books with an estimated 650 pages each (total of 5,860 pages) (I read on my phone so these page estimations are calculated by using a ratio of 3 pages on my phone equaling one actual page). Took me 13 days to read the whole series (about 450 pages per day).

What a great series! The ending was a tad rushed I felt but other than that I have no complaints. It is a long read so you have to be committed, but if you are looking for a long series to read while self-isolating- this is a good choice for you!

I feel like I post on this thread maybe too much :p.
    607 and khixan like this.
  5. I feel like I post on this thread maybe too little. :p
    I only read 15 minutes a day, unless I am reading an engaging novel and have time to read extra.
    AmusedStew likes this.
  6. I was going to read Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ amidst this whole pandemic, but just as I was about to order it, Amazon shut their delivery service down for a month.
    607 likes this.
  7. Huh, really? I was thinking we wouldn't have to worry about not being able to get certain things at all anymore, as Amazon is in the Netherlands now. :p
  8. So, not sure if anyone else here is interested at all in Japanese Light Novels (translated to English of course), one of the main companies that you can purchase them digitally from (Bookwalker)- is offering a few different series free to read for this month. The books you download can only be accessed until April 30th.

Not going to post the link just in case it isnt allowed even though I am sure it is since this is totally legit- not pirating. You can search up "Bookwalker" and find the promotion on their home page (you have to make an account with an email- you do not have to provide any payment information, I just used an old email and made a new account to test it and no payment info was needed).

Most of the series they are providing are series that I have been planning to read so I cannot give recommendations except for Part 1, Volume 1 of Ascendance of a Bookworm which is a book I posted about on this thread previously.

I was actually planning on buying "If its for my Daughter, I'd Defeat Even a Demon Lord" once I finished the series I am on atm, but Bookwalker is being super cool and offering the first 3 books free for this month- gonna hop into this once I am done with my current series.
    ChumMiner and 607 like this.
  9. haven’t read through this whole thread, but i’m almost done with where the crawdads sing... it’s amazing! it’s set in the 60’s about an orphaned girl who lives alone in the swamp. one of my other faves in little fires everywhere (which is apparently a hulu series with reese witherspoon now??) and before we were yours is an amazing book about old orphanages in the south and kids being stolen from their homes! it’s written beautifully!
    607 likes this.
  10. The library is closed during the COVID-19 crisis... but on Silent Saturday we visited my mother's parents (of course keeping distance, although I forgot a couple of times (my mother reminded us, though)) and I found a segment for English books in my grandfather's huge bookshelf. (It really is big, I wonder what will happen to it if they die or move to a nursing home :eek:) I'm now reading Ninety Eighty-Four, a book I'd been interested in for some time! I hope I don't get too many nightmares from it. :p
  11. Anyone else been reading anything lately during this time when we all must stay inside?

I am currently reading the web novel "Martial World", I have been reading it for well over a week... at chapter 2006, which is 81% into the series. Its getting real good right now, I am having a hard time putting it down. In fact, I havent played much EMC in the past 1-2 weeks because I have spent the time I would usually use for gaming on this series :rolleyes:.
    607 likes this.
  12. I am currently on the third and final book of The Dark Artifices series by Cassandra Clare, and dang let me tell you it is a THICC BOI
    I'd look to see how many pages it actually is but I'm afraid of spoiling it for myself. All you gotta know is that Cassie writes some really thick books

Also, a few weeks before this COVID-19 crisis, I finished the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo and oh my god it was amazing! I'd never read anything so satisfying and refreshing before! Currently my favorite read of 2020.

((I have a bookstagram account sister to my artstagram, if yall want to follow: @books.of.serpentbridge on Instagram))
    AmusedStew likes this.
  13. Man is this thread like a walk down memory lane! I have read so many of these titles, and even reread numerous times lotr, got, thomas covenant, wheel of time, and on and on. I see hitchhikers guide in there.. also read a few times because I love to laugh..
    And on that note if you like good fantasy and humour I thought Robert Asprins Myth Adventure series should be added to the list.. been a while but think I will read them again myself.
    607 and AmusedStew like this.
  14. I have been reading Camus' The Stranger, which famously starts with "Today, my mother died. or it might have been yesterday, I don't know." (I'm reading it in French: "Aujourd'hui, maman est morte. Ou peut-être hier, je ne sais pas.") It's a really good novel if you like your books saturated with existentialist philosophy.
    I also quite liked the myth of Sisyphus ("There is only one truly philosophycal question, and that is suicide"), which I read a year ago, and which I am probably going to re-read again. It's not a novel, It's a work of acedemic philosophy, but a quite good one :)

Aditionally, I can really recommend Fyodor Dostoevsky. I have recently finished Crime and Punishment, and I am probably going to give it a re-read shortly. As always with Dostoevsky, it's a lot to take in. I can also really recommend The Brothers Karamazov, wich I personally found a bit easier. (Dostoevsky was one of those pretentious philosophers, who couldn't just write a work of philosophy, nor could they just make a make a work of art. Art had to be the medeum of their philosophy.)

If people really need more to read. Sartre's No Exit (Huis clos) is really quite good too. (It's originally a a play, but, like sheakspear, you can read it too.) "L'enfer, c'est les Autres!"

Kafka is also always great. The Metamophesis is a great short story.

Lastly, I don't know if I have recomended it before here, but, quite some time ago, I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which might be one of the best novels I have ever read in English. (I read Sartre and Camus in Frensh, Dostoevsky in Dutch) Marry Wolstonecraft Shelly's The Last Man is better, but I still really recommend it :)
    AmusedStew and 607 like this.
  15. Finished the series mentioned above. Had a cliffhanger at the ending, but apparently from what I researched- the cliffhanger gets resolved in the sequel. I probably wont read the sequel for a while since I want to take a break from "cultivation" genre books. Basically this "genre" is where a character starts out young and weak and grows to be super strong throughout the series. The last few series I have read were all cultivation series so I need a break from them. I am planning on rereading one of my favorite series and then I have 2 light novel series on the back-burner that I wanna get to.

If you are interested, the series I am rereading is the Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh. The series is under the genre of adult paranormal romance so reader beware (18+).
  16. That's a genre? o_O
    Yes, it definitely is...

Meanwhile, I have arrived to Part 3 of Ninety Eighty-Four. It's getting very dark, but I am enjoying it still, it is very well-written and fascinating to read. :)
    AmusedStew likes this.
  17. Anything is a genre if you're brave enough
    AmusedStew and 607 like this.
  18. A personal favorite of Mine is 1453. This more of a historical novel on how the city of Constantinople collapsed and how it lasted despite the numerous enemies it faced. Great read, can get on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other book retailers.

Impulsive_Egg, 607 and AmusedStew like this.
  19. I haven't read in a dedicated fashion in quite a while. Though, I think I'm going to try to get back into the swing of things with either The Maze Runner series or with Looking For Alaska by John Green. :)
    Impulsive_Egg and AmusedStew like this.
  20. Just began Station Eleven and I'm already hooked. A plague wipes out the vast majority of the Earth (okay, I admit it was not my smartest choice of book for the present moment, but it's still great) and the book follows some characters in the aftermath. Very well written thus far. I gotta update my list of recommendations in the op at some point.
    607, Roslyn, AmusedStew and 1 other person like this.