Book Recommendation/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hashhog, May 25, 2015.

1. Cool! I'm reading a pdf on Quantum Physics... and a book called "The Boundless" For a reading competition called Battle of The Books. :) Me and my group won last year... :)
  2. Bump. Let's hear about some more books! :D
  3. Two of my favorite have always been,
    If you give a mouse a cookie,
    And Goodnight Moon.

Don't know if aforementioned, but the hunger games is a pretty good book. (But violent. So not for younger peeps.)
    jossytheninja and Hashhog like this.
  4. can't say I recommend them yet but today I picked up two new books:

Reckless, My Life as a Pretender by Chrissie Hynde
    and
    Prince Lestat by Anne Rice

some books I'd definitely recommend:
    Like Being Killed by Ellen Miller
    Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker
    Paradoxia by Lydia Lunch
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Walden by Thoreau

here are some history books I recommend:
    Dangerous Nation by Robert Kagan
    The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright
    Girls to the Front by Sara Marcus
    The Power of Nonviolence: Writings by Advocates of Peace by Howard Zinn
    Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World by Thich Nhat Hanh
    Hashhog likes this.
  5. I mean, there's always the Divergent series, but everyone in their right mind has read that one, right? :p
    Counting by Sevens and The Art of Racing in the Rain are also a few of my personal favorites.
    EDIT: The Neptune Project by Polly Holyoke is really good too. It's about a girl named Nere who discovers that she is part of an experiment called the Neptune Project. It gives her special fish-like abilities. Her and her friends who are also part of it have to get to Nere's fathers camp.
    The Michael Vey series is pretty good too.
    Hashhog likes this.
  6. Any one read the city of ember? or The Boundless?
  7. Leaving this here so I can look at all these when I have more time :)
    EDIT -
    I've read City of Ember. It's been a few years but from what I remember it was pretty good.
  8. anyone here read the Song of The Summer King series?
  9. Somehow I've only just found this thread now, but better late than never I suppose.
    I'm always reading, I've almost filled up my second bookshelf in my room, but I do have some favorites.
    Most of these are young adult fiction, so they're probably not suitable for younger readers.
    The Maze Runner series by James Dashner (This is one of my all time favorite series, I absolutely love the characterization and the plot. The Death Cure (the 3rd book) is the only book that's ever made me bawl my eyes out, but it's still my favorite of the series.)
    The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (One of my favorites, but not suitable for younger readers)
    The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
    Proxy by Alex London (I teared up at the end)
    The 100 by Kass Morgan
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (This one has a really unique style of writing, it's quite creepy at times but it's a great read)
    Simon vs The Homo Sapien Agenda (The ending is so cute oh my god)
    The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (definitely not suitable for younger readers.)

There's a lot more, but there's a few that are my go-to rereads :)
    JParsonsX, 607, Hashhog and 1 other person like this.
  10. I was asked to bump this by the nagging voice in my mind, so bumping to quiet the inner nag.
    Kephras likes this.

11. Just bought this at Bethesda Store... I hope it's worth it... FALLOUT HYPE!!!
  12. I was planning to post about all English books I read for school here, but I think I stopped after the first one :p
    So... Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carrol. The follow-up to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
    It's based around a Chess game, and I was happy that I read an annotated version of it, because many parts contain, or even consist of, quite obscure references.
    Because I don't feel like taking the time to write about this book again, I'll just copy some parts from what I wrote for school, which should give you a good idea :p

Before reading:
    After I finished reading Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (see my previous report) I started with Through the Looking Glass right away. Because of that it had already been a long time since I read the book when I started writing this. But I will be reading it again while writing this. I was very happy that this title was also included in The Annotated Alice, because I loved Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and pitied over the fact that I was “done” with it (I’ll for sure read it again later, but for now I had finished it). I quite honestly thought this title would be less good than the previous, but my expectations were quite high nevertheless. Something to note: I already knew that the story would be based around a chess game, because I had read the preface months before.

After reading:
    This was awesome!
    As I said, I went into this book with a feeling it would be far less good than Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, but I’m not actually so sure which one I like best now!
    This book, like the previous, has lots of humour involving people taking things literally.
    The story was interesting, revolving around a chess game, and the characters were not bad either.
    This book has less action, more conversation than the first Alice. In the first book there’s actually quite a bit of sensation happening throughout the story, while in Through the Looking Glass, nothing really exciting seems to happen.
    There’s not too much more to tell about this book, because most that applied to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland also applies here. I got to say the annotations from The Annotated Alice were again very interesting.
    Something to note is that Through the Looking Glass uses many old songs and pieces of poetry, just like Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. The problem is, those poems often aren’t known in the Netherlands of today, which can make it difficult to understand what Lewis Carroll is getting at. And that’s why The Annotated Alice is so great.
    I heard Cara Stulta Asella (also known as [censored for privacy's sake]) is now reading Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and I sure hope she enjoys it.

Well, that’s about all I’ve got for this book, see you next time!
    ~

And even a year after reading it, I'd still recommend this one, if you liked the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. However, if you thought the first book was a bit too curious or you just didn't feel like you understood most of it, you probably won't fully enjoy a non-annotated version of the second book, as it does require much more in-depth looking to understand what's really going on.
    Kephras likes this.
  13. One that Khixan recommended to me recently.
    "The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet" - Becky Chambers
    Only about halfway through it, but it's proving to be tons of fun.
    It's exceptionally character-driven and focuses very heavily on the crew and their interactions. As one reviewer puts it, "Basically, if you miss the intelligence of Star Trek and the warmth of Firefly, this book hits those marks. At least it did for me."
    607 and khixan like this.
  14. you must let me know how it is!
  15. I will... When it gets here of course. Speaking of which it will be next month!
    jossytheninja likes this.
  16. You should read "Ready Player One", by... Ernest Cline? (Warning: Mature Content)

An awesome book.
    khixan likes this.
  17. "Why?"

Which is to say, if you're gonna recommend a book, perhaps explain what it's about and why it's worth reading? :)
    That's general advice to anyone else posting books too, by the way - if you enjoyed a book enough to suggest it, please tell us what it's about and why you enjoyed it so much.
    607 and Galantisizer like this.
  18. Ok. Sorry.

Book: Ready Player One
    Author: Ernest Cline
    Synopsis (From back cover): In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Reasons To Read:
    • Great if you were born in the 80's
    • Great if you love 80's references
    • Great if you like Virtual Reality
    • Great if you like me saying great over and over again...
    • Like Dungeons and Dragons? You'll love this!
    • Like classic arcade machines? You'll love this!
    • Suspense, mystery, and a whole lot of other goodness is packed in here.
    (I am not that creative when in a rush. :p)

19. Alf Approves!
    Galantisizer, Gawadrolt and Kephras like this.
  20. I can't like this hard enough. :D
    mercenaries2009 and Galantisizer like this.