1.9 Update!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by DorianPavus_, Feb 18, 2016.

1. My Favorite Features are the Dual Wielding and the changes they made to the End. :)
    My Least Favorite Features is the Skeletons that wont hold still anymore,some sounds,and maybe a few combat features.
  2. My favourite are the new crafting recipes; End crystals for everyone!
    Least favourite: definitely the new sound effects. IMO the witch lost all its creepyness because you can hear it coming now. No fun.
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and gladranger7 like this.
  3. Flaming poison arrows in pvp.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  4. I'm acually doing a 1.9 survivial series on my channel right now, so I've come face-to-face with the smaller features, as well as playing around with the bigger ones in creative. Here are my top 6 favorite features:
    1. Purpur. This gets the top spot instead of Elytra because it's a new block, exactly my favorite color, and fairly easy to get, if you've already killed the dragon. And it goes really well with prismarine and snow, which I discovered while designing an outpost I want to have in the End on EMC when it updates.
    2. Elytra. I can't wait until they become customisable! I can just imagine all the amazing designs that people will make. Even with the boring gray texture (unless you've got a Minecon cape), they're really awesome. Almost like a hang glider, but different enough to be unique.
    3. The new enchantments. I think they're very well balanced. Mending is pretty close to Unbreakable if you've got a good XP farm, but hard to get, unless you have a librarian who trades it to you. Frost Walker won't be as useful in general (at least not that I can think of), but if you have an ocean to cross or a guardian farm to build, it can come in handy.
    4. Shields. Now that they're customisable and have had their durability bumped up, I know for a fact that they're awesome. I can't wait to be able to make awesome banners, then be able to show off the cool design with a shield while doing battle in the PvP arenas. Or at a death event. Or in Mob Arena. Or just building something in town, even. They're almost as good as capes!
    5. Dual wielding. This feature is super handy! When mining, you can have torches in your left hand (or your right, if you're a lefty like me). If you're fighting, you can easily have a bow, shield or fishing rod in your off hand, while mainly fighting with your sword or axe in your main hand.
    6. Boats. The 2-rider capacity is bound to make mob transportation a lot easier, and the new steering will really help if you want to, say, do a boat race on a windy course. I also really like that you can now make them out of all the different kinds of wood (I especially like birch). I'm honestly not sure if I'll acually use the new boats all that much (other than forthis), but they are really cool.
    Wow! My post is (a lot) longer than ShelLuser's. That's a first!
  5. I just love the new arrows they will be so fun. I'm so happy they actually have a release date now.
  6. Hm...
    I don't like some of the new sounds, and if it counts: I don't like they reverted the way boats are controlled. That probably doesn't count, though.
    I thought there was another thing I disliked, but I'm not sure if I can remember it now...
    Anyway, what I like the most is hard too :p Probably the cooldown on weapon uses.
    Aside of that, one of the perhaps countless performance updates.
    Oh, and there might have been some cool things added to commands.
    I don't really like the new command blocks, but I'm not sure if I actively dislike them.
    I think the dual wielding is pretty great, even though most people don't seem to see the uses in it or just keep forgetting about it, as I don't see anyone actually using dual wielding, while I think it can be really useful if you get used to it.
  7. I hate the new wooden button sound and how the witches nose sticks out if you hit it, its just creepy XD
  8. Just a small PSA for the redstone enthusiasts: The redstone dust hitbox has changed slightly. It no longer covers the entire block.

Trapper777 and UltiPig like this.
  9. Hmm thats a small change with the redstone, could be annoying if your in a rush and keep missing though XD if that even happens
  10. I only noticed because I was testing some redstone stuff to have with ice boat races (boats are extremely fast on ice) and as I was about to destroy some redstone, I kept destroying the block under it. :p
    Little_Pixel_Pig likes this.
  11. did u here! they delayed to the 29th I hate this!:mad:
  12. ^ Yea ikr im so mad! we have to wait till Monday GAH i was so excited for tomorrow expecially since i have a half day of school which meant i would of had more time to check everything out!
  13. We could have boat race events on ice, as player events! That would be cool!
    StoneSky likes this.
  14. So I have a little more to share about the upcoming 1.9 release, but it goes a bit deeper than like/dislike. I gave it much thought but figured this thread is the best place at the moment; if not then let me know and we'll work it out...

To start off with a loaded comment: It seems to me that when looking at 1.9 then customized / custom coded servers such as EMC seem to be holding a lot of trump cards. And it's going to be very interesting what the (Minecraft) community is going to do here.

Here's the thing... We're well within the "1.8 era" which started out rough (remember the lag issues?) and ended up quite solid (EMC going 1.8, yay! ;)). So this week I took a look at my private server (merely used for building / testing) and the plugins which it uses. Now that we're near the dawn of the 1.9 era surely most plugins will have suitable 1.8 counterparts by now?

Well... ynow. (yes/no/wha?! :D). I think its becoming noticeable that many plugins have either kept themselves to 1.7, have only brought out beta versions or have given up alltogether. And of course we have plugins which saw themselves forked (copied & run by a new group). We also got plugins which did a move I don't like (but can fully understand): going commercial such as MCMMO.

Why I mention all this? Because it is my impression so far that a majority of Minecraft servers consist of the same mixture: server basis (bukkit, spigot, etc.), plugins on top (more than often not even custom configured) and several in-game (Minecraft) builds to make the server look a little more customized.

As we all (probably) know EMC is a "little" different. The EMC developer team will even go after Minecraft bugs and fix those themselves if they can help it. Who needs Mojang anyway? :D (sorry, sorry... Don't want to bring nasty stuff up but I honestly laughed when I read all that!)

So that is another comment about 1.9 from me... It's going to become very interesting. And I think EMC holds some major trump cards if they can (relatively shortly) follow up on the new 1.9 release whereas a lot of other servers out there will probably have to wait it out until their plugin collection gets up to speed. Just do some Google searches yourself... You'll notice that a lot of plugins haven't even made it to 1.8 yet!

And with all that in mind I think Aikar is playing his cards quite smart. Sure, we have to wait a long time for certain custom features to emerge (sorry Aikar, but its only fair to mention Dragon Tombs here :D).

But on the other hand the features which did find their way into EMC so far (compass, friends, groups, custom items, custom item tags (soulbound, unbreakable, etc.), custom mobs) are most likely (this is an assumption on my part!!) also much more portable (meaning: it'll be relatively easy to move them to the new 1.9 version).

So very soonish I guess we get to play with some new toys (1.9) while we get to keep everything we already know and love. And that accounts for something too!

Why I bring all of that up? There are places out there which are still suffering from "yes, we can't have that $popular_feature yet because the plugins don't work!". (remember EMC & disguises?)

While this may seem normal ("of course we keep all of the features when we go to a new Minecraft version") it actually is not. Because if it were then why are so many plugins having major issues with keeping up?

So I think its going to be an interesting time. Especially if EMC can move up without suffering from any "sorry, that doesn't work anymore" (obviously there are never any guarantees; but the chances are much higher with custom coded stuff).

New features will be awesome. But... Also don't take the ones you currently have for granted either :)

And that's my 2 cents.
  15. I love that we are getting it soon as well. Very interested in getting a skeleton horse :D

I think my only concern is the biomes issue that happened when we went from 1.7 --> 1.8. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time around. :)
  16. I <3 how everyone is expressing like all their thoughts on 1.9! I cant wait for this update!
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. I wouldn't say 2 cents. Your post could've paid twice as much as one of Hillary Clinton's Super PAC's. :p

But, yeah, Aikar is a smart man on that basis. If you want something done right, you do it yourself

Don't know how he does it, I would give in.
  18. yeah sad that emc wont update right away but still GO 1.9!!!!!
  19. Ill be on singplayer for a little bit cause the update to check it out, might be on all the time this week XD and I wont be on a lot tomorrow, got my Science Olympiad competiton from 6:00am to 6:30pm. Wish me and my team luck!
    607 likes this.
  20. Luck! yeah me 2 probably on the singleplayer