1.13 is coming!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Yeah, that too. It's a bit confusing though, because Jens said they added a new mob with every update, and I don't think we've seen a mob for 1.13 yet.
  2. A long-awaited flattening snapshot for 1.13 has been released today. We are getting more wood blocks one update early.

To clear up what others in this thread have written:

*There was a Java Team Panel during Minecon Earth, where Agnes Larsson clarified that the new default textures will be a 'standalone' release, not with any proper update/patch to Minecraft.

*Minecraft: Java Edition 1.13 is a dedicated technical update. 1.14 is the Update Aquatic, which is set to release in Spring 2018 - mid-June at the latest.

I highly believe that 1.13 will release before then, which would allow server managers to start converting their assets to the new databases Mojang has done. This could reduce the time gap from after 1.14 comes out to whenever SMP servers update.

Good luck, EMC staff and Spigot. ;l
    BabyBojangles and 607 like this.
  3. I have a feeling because of how technical 1.13 will be that we'll be waiting for 1.14 a similair amount of time that we did for 1.8. Not complaining our anything, obviously Aikar has work and a life, this is just my 2 cents. (stole your outro shell)
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  4. 1.8 and 1.9 had many new features and technical changes to them. Mojang probably learned a lesson from doing too many technical things in a content update.
    That is why they are splitting their efforts into two updates, because 1.8 and 1.9 took way too long to release, compared to the updates before them.
    607 likes this.
  5. I can assure you 1.13 is going to take us a lot longer.

This update may(well, SHOULD) even break every single bukkit plugin in existence, unless the Spigot project does something stupid to try to keep the plugins working.

Ultimately, I hope they dont, because with the level of changes, its better that we get the breakage out of the way and move on with better code.

Updating command handling is also going to be a serious update too, as 1.13 introduces a new command framework similar to EMC's.

So I will be working to integrate our command framework into mojangs. I may be able to start on that before 1.13 releases though.
    luckycordel, 607, ShelLuser and 3 others like this.
  6. GL sounds like a ton of work, hopefully it won't mean 3 am nights
    607 likes this.
  7. The excitement is real...

Something is seriously brewing with the snapshots.

I have to admit that over time I really began to appreciate the new (now common) launcher a whole lot more. Sure, it was a rough start and I myself have ignored it for quite a long time and simply stuck with the previous launcher ((working) backups ftw!) but now that I am using it full time I like it...

So my story begins when I started it and noticed "hey, a new snapshot!":

Notice how it says "download"? That indicates something new! Its small things like that which I really began to appreciate over time. Well, leave it up to Mojang to break stuff because my game quickly crashed. A quick peek in the logs showed:

Code:
    [09:36:31] [Client thread/ERROR]: Something went wrong upgrading!
    java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "-98:SHIFT"
    at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
    at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:580) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
    at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:615) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
    at wk.a(SourceFile:154) ~[17w47a.jar:?]
    at ur.b(SourceFile:55) ~[17w47a.jar:?]
    at ur.a(SourceFile:40) [17w47a.jar:?]
    at bmj.a(SourceFile:1004) [17w47a.jar:?]
    at bmj.a(SourceFile:776) [17w47a.jar:?]
    at bmj.<init>(SourceFile:373) [17w47a.jar:?]
    at bmg.al(SourceFile:393) [17w47a.jar:?]
    at bmg.a(SourceFile:354) [17w47a.jar:?]
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:134) [17w47a.jar:?]

Yeah, fun! My server (I always run a snapshot server) had no issues starting the new stuff so...

I'm still studying this (mostly to help out the Minecraft wiki, not so much for bug reports because I grew tired of those) but it looks as if future upgrades are going to become tricky. I just tried to simulate an upgrade on my LAN server (so I copied a 1.12.2 world over, then applied the snapshot) and I got some very weird results.

Alas, back to basics & Windows. I moved my save folder out of the way, re-started the whole kaboodle and oh dear:
    Code:
    [09:42:52] [Client thread/INFO]: LWJGL Version: 3.1.2 build 29
    [09:42:55] [Client thread/INFO]: Reloading ResourceManager: Default
    [09:42:56] [Client thread/WARN]: Missing sound for event: minecraft:block.pumpkin.carve
    [09:42:56] [Sound Library Loader/INFO]: Starting up SoundSystem...

Say what now? pumpkin.carve? Didn't Halloween already happen quite a few weeks ago? ;)

Anyway, look what I just found (in case you're wondering... I just started a new world and I'm typing while playing):

Bark blocks! So: in the far (middle) is the regular oak log, on the left the commonly known planks and on the right the new bark block. It doesn't bark, but... It's weird :)

Smooth sandstone is now called "cut sandstone", farmland has finally made it into the creative inventory (in case you're not familiar with this: when you hoe down dirt with a shovel you get farmland, it's a block on which you can plant seeds). Monster eggs (so: the stone types) are now "infested". It makes serious sense to me...

Infested blocks, is it me or did we get more of them?

So what we have here is infested variants of stone, cobblestone, stone bricks, mossy stone bricks, cracked stone bricks and chiseled stone.

Oh my dear, it happened!

We now have trapdoors and buttons for every available wood type. Which I really enjoy because this seriously helps you to, well, get specific designs for specific areas. Players who are near tundra's and savannas' will be much more inclined to use Acacia whereas players in jungles would use jungle wood. And that really adds up to the game I think.

I like where this is going... But not every change is good. Some things are way more tedious than they should be and worse: it doesn't always make sense anymore.

Here I'm trying to get my head. Player heads are currently "skull types". So you get the 3rd skull type (which is a player head) and then define the skull owner. But with the new model all blocks get their own names and there are no more variants. So a player head is now actually called that: player_head.

So two problems... I'm used to tab completion. So: /give @p sku<tab>. But if you press tab these days, as seen above, you'll just move to the next item in the list. Worse: the "namespace" (refering to 'minecraft:' in front of the item names) doesn't seem to be included here. And that's a serious drag. When I I type: "/give @p mine<tab>" I get nothing. Worse: when I type: "/give @p playe<tab>" I also get nothing.

So despite all the fancy code checking and item lists I actually have to type out way more than I used to in order to get a certain block. I hope that this is work in progress but... only one way to find out.

And I found out :D Ok, I stand corrected: Mojang did this a whole lot smarter than I gave them credit for:
    Hey: when I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'm not too proud to admit that.

So... in the new behavior you get these "pop ups" for everything you do. This will help out less experienced players to find the items and/or commands they need. So the moment you type / a popup appears which will list all the commands and which (as mentioned above) reacts to the tab key.

But if you use this option to turn that mess off then you're back to the 'old' behavior. I type: "/give @p " and 'minecraft:' is already vaguely shown. Now, I can't type 'play<tab>' to get a player head but I'll have to type <tab> (to expand 'minecraft:') then I type 'play' after which "player_head" is already visible, ready for me to finish with another <tab> press.

A little more work, true, but fully acceptable if you keep in mind that we're also going to get custom recipes and datapacks which can add tons of those custom recipes. What that means is that we'll also get custom namespaces. What that means?

/give @p mine<tab>; I'd use this to get regular standard Minecraft items. For example: "minecraft:llama_spawn_egg".

/give @p cats<tab>; and I'd use this to get hold of my own custom items for which I'd usually use the "catslair" namespace. For example: "catslair:ayas_llama" which is actually a generated Llama spawn egg which, when used, will spawn a Llama with a colored name, a saddle (cloth) and chest which contains Aya's head (also with a colored name).

This is huge.

And that second problem I mentioned? Simple really: /give @p minecraft:player_head{SkullType: "ShelLuser"} 1. Wouldn't you agree that "SkullType" makes a lot less sense within the context of getting a player head? Wouldn't "OwnerName" or "PlayerName" make much more sense here? Details, sure, but still...

Oh dear... things keep getting better. We got a lot more new block variants than I originally accounted for. And not just that mind you: fully available within the creative inventory.

Bit of a shame (just jesting a bit) because I enjoy joking around by giving players a block of farmland ("elsewhere") and then telling them that it's actually a pretty special block because although it looks pretty common (a dirt block variant so to speak) it's special because it's not part of the creative inventory. So much for that ;)

Lookie, lookie:

Smooth block types. So a while ago someone made a suggestion about these: the suggestion to add them to the game. This got denied by the staff but it seems Mojang was also reading because now we got them in the vanilla game :D

Ok, a bit more serious here: smooth quartz, smooth red sandstone, smooth andstone and smooth stone are now a thing. I don't know (yet) if these go their own recipe but... I can find out :cool:

Hmm, glistering melon is actually called speckled_melon. But no recipes for those smooth blocks (I know smooth sandstone already exists, but that's now officially called carved sandstone).

And as you can see above (screenshot) there are now also 2 pumpkin states. By default a pumpkin will grow without the face (like a melon) and if you want to add the face you'll have to carve that yourself. I don't know yet how that is done.

Oh: and mushroom blocks. So the red/white, brown and stem blocks.

Also: creative changed. Normally you'd shift-click on the 'Destroy Item' icon and it would clear out your entire inventory. That has now been changed to the right mouse button. So: shift-right-click. Makes sense (safety first!).

Water slabs!

Ok, to be honest I don't know what happened here, but my version sounded better, wouldn't you agree? ;)

Hmm, Shell exclusive: I found something weird. A "debug stick". I was playing with tab completion a bit and then suddenly noticed this in the list.

It looks like an enchanted stick and so far it seems to behave like a wrench which can often be found in "tech mods" like RFTools and such (quick explanation: in tech mods you often get technical blocks which can "do" stuff, but if you hack them up with a pickaxe you'll destroy it and only get a few components back and that's it. But if you use a wrench you can get the whole block back).

So far I can rotate a carved pumpkin and other blocks around:

That doesn't look very comfortable ;)

The time has changed...

In the current version there's actually a difference in a time value of 22000 and 50000: the phase of the moon. I don't know if you ever looked up in the sky at night, but you should, because the moon has several phases it goes through. That's why it's absolutely forbidden on my server(s) to use commands such as "/time set 1" because that resets the time back to day 1. And I like to keep track of time (press F3 and you'll see how many days old a world is).

As you can see they also changed things here. Which is quite interesting to me.

So: /time set 150000 (this will reach day 6). Then you use: /time add 50 and suddenly it's back to 6635 (or so it seems).

And we still have some bugs left it seems...

/execute as @e[type=sheep] if block ~ ~-1 ~ minecraft:grass_block run say m000

This should run a command as every entity which is of type sheep, but only if the block its standing on is a dirt block. If that condition is met it should say m000, but that doesn't seem work.

Right now it seems that this condition is only met if all sheep are standing on a grass block while my intent is if any sheep is doing this.

Oh well :)

Oh, this is also interesting:

So: if you place a chest and then another next to it you get a double chest (duh! pretty obvious, right?). But if you then place yet another chest next to it you can (as you can see here). That's new.

Better yet: shift-place a chest next to another and it won't auto-turn into a double chest. That's a nice change because now we don't always have to use those (sometimes) ugly looking trapped chests whenever you want a few single chests next to each other.

And so far....

I'll probably find out more when someone else comes online and we start playing a bit on my snapshot LAN server :D

But yeah... So far I'm really into this update. And I haven't even tried custom recipes yet :)
  8. It has always said download even on the previous launcher when you select a version you hadn't downloaded yet.
  9. Wait, can you explain some more on this? Because if I understand it correctly, it's something that I will absolutely hate! I often stack multiple double chests on top of each other, which obviously requires the us of shift, so the chests aren't opened, but instead stacked on top of each other. How will I be able to do this if holding shift prevents the chests from turning into a double chest? That would seriously suck. Or am I missing something?
    607 likes this.
  10. Well, none of these things are even close to being final. around about everything is broke currenetly, I beleve the whole thhing you can place chests next to eachother even is a bug, or, anyway still is extreemly buggy, with second to none consistency.
    ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.
  11. Just tried it myself, the functionality still works! :D
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  12. Further explaination: You can place double chest, by double chests, you can shift and place single chests. You can then shift and place a single chest ontop of the double chest, and if you shift clickthe double chest again, its two single chests, but if you shift click the single chest, itll turn into a double chest.

Theres a glitch with grass and you can place chests in the air and destroy the grass block :p. Will upload a youtube video soon.
    607, ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.
  13. There's more to it. The old launcher always mentions "ready to download" even if the version is already on your disk. The new one differentiates and won't download (nor mention) when there's no need.

Worst case scenario: you place them against the wall after which you'll get the normal behavior back.

But yes, your fears are right at the moment because when I shift-click two single chest on top of another double chest then I'll end up with 3 chests. I'll do some more testing, but in the mean time I also ran into a bit of a problem: opening a chest (any chest) will crash my game right now (not the server, only the client side).

To make this even more interesting it seriously depends on location. So if Aya opens a chest further away from me then her game will crash whereas I'll simply notice that she left the server (and vice versa). And to make this bug even more bothersome it appears to be a client sided issue because I wiped the entire server world already and this behavior is still a thing.

Fortunately I know exactly where it's coming from: the debug stick is not something to carelessly play around with because it can seriously affect (and infect) your game (as mentioned above). Next stop: trashing my entire client profile (good thing I started using a dedicated one for the snapshots) and yah... such a bother ;)

Too late, that glitch got fixed in 45b it seems ;)
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  14. When? I just downloaded the latest? :p 17w47b or whatever it is

ShelLuser likes this.
  15. Aah, all the above happened on 45a. I just tried to place a chest on top of some grass but that didn't work and the grass disappeared. So I assumed you also tried the whole thing on 45a (45b just got out today).
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  16. Nope, your thread today convinced me to try the snapshot. Seems to be Tallgrass that glitches like that :D
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. Well, I solved the puzzle. It's probably going to be a little annoying at first because you may need to adapt a new way of doing this:

I place the double chest as I normally do, then add a single chest on top of it. If I were to go ahead and place the next single chest next to it by shift-clicking on the double chest then that's obviously not going to work anymore. But if I place the single chest next to the other single chest (see screenshot) then you'll get the usual results.

Also, as I expected, if you place the chests against a wall then there won't be any difference at all.
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  18. Thanks for testing for me! :) So that would be just annoying, and not out of this wordly annoying. :p
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  19. Which the youtube video showcases. :)
  20. Interesting stuff!! Thanks for investigating, Shell! :)
    ttyler333 and WardleDeBoss like this.