1.13 is coming!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Oct 25, 2017.

1. this is all so interesting lol
  2. 607 and Tuqueque like this.
  3. I'm getting too old for this
  4. You can never be too old to play Minecraft. It can be good to take some breaks from the game though.

Or... I am misinterpreting you.
  5. A little bit,
    I meant that I'm getting too old for this. With old age comes horrible memory.

I don't have the mental capacity to keep up with microsoft/mojang's forced updates.
    MatthewDA likes this.
  6. Oh dear....

First impresions? I think 1.13, despite the unlucky number, has some serious potential to become one fo the best updates so far. This is really amazing....

I mean, just look at the current sea bottom:

Underwater skeletons! :eek:

For the record: I didn't stage this, this is exactly how I discovered this scenery. Obviously a bug, but I still think it was hilarious! Especially when it started shooting arrows at Aya :D (Aya was less enthusiastic).

But... players actually swim now:

Not bad for a so called alt :D

1.13 is going to add an underwater sprint option and if you use it you'll actually start to move horizontally, so basically you really swim. There's honestly a lot to discover and enjoy here. What about squids which will finally do what legends say they do? Use ink to protect themselves:

Picture courtesy of Aya

There are several new blocks and I think they all make sense and really add up to enhancing the look and feel of Minecraft. When you right click a log block with an axe then you strip it of its bark and get a stripped log block. So now we have both a bark block ("log like" block) which has the bark pattern on all sides) and a stripped log block which has no patterns at all.

As was to be expected the ocean temple blocks (prismarine, dark prismarine and prismarine bricks) now all have a stairs variant. Makes sense, no surprise there.

What I do like though is the block on the right: kelp. The Minecraft variant of sea weed.

Shell statement: "Kelp can become to the overworld that which Chorus fruit is to the End"

Sounds deep, right?

Well... If you get chorus fruit you can eat it and then it'll teleport you to a random location. That's fun. You can also cook it to get popped fruit which, when combined, makes purpur blocks. OR... combine the popped fruit with a blaze rod and you get an end rod (light source). And speaking of purpur blocks: those provide a whole new way of crafting. Blocks, slabs, pillars, etc. So it allows for a lot of stuff to do.

Back to the ocean. Kelp can be cooked in a furnace to get dried kelp. Dried kelp can be used as a food source (though it seems worse than melon slices) as well as a fuel source for smelting. I also found a dried kelp block (see picture above) but I haven't discovered any recipe for it yet (it's one of the advantages of 1.13: because the recipes are now all customizable you can search through the files to find a specific one).

Even so I think this gives kelp the potential to become something much bigger over time.

Also fun: items float!

I broke several plants, and this is the result...

Which brings me to a point of concern: lag. I can see now why they wanted to optimize the whole system so badly; because all those extra entities are definitely going to add to the lag problem. ...or have the potential to of course.

:D

Oh dear, I feel evil now :)

But yes, here you see proof of my awesome influence on Minecraft because what did we get? More shells! :D

Seriously though: when baby turtles hatch they can leave behind shell pieces. And when you got 5 of them you can make a turtle shell from it, which is basically a green helmet (with straps!). As a bonus it gives you an underwater breathing effect which allows you to stay underwater for 10 more seconds than normal. Not too bad.

:D

And finally the trident. As of yet not obtainable in survival (which is why you have creative mode) and I have to say it's pretty awesome. However... As also stated in game: Mojang themselves have said that this weapon is seriously overpowered as it is right now, so it's going to get nerfed, and rightfully so.

But this is going to get interesting. The trident can be used as both a melee weapon (hit, slash and conquer) and a ranged weapon (throwing). Normally it'll end up stuck into the ground (even if you hit your target) but with the right enchantment it'll swoop right back as a boomerang and it'll be ready for the next throw. OP indeed :mad:

(but seriously cool though, Aya managed to fight off a whole army of nasties (without any armor!) which spawned under the ledge we were playing on (see screenshot)).

There's more of course....

Such as the Phantom, the mob I really don't care for. It flies in the sky and attacks players who haven't slept for a while. I don't really like this because it almost makes me think that Mojang is trying to force me to sleep. Whatever happened to the open world game?

This is one of those mobs which are probably going to get banned from my private server.

BUT... as always, please keep in mind that we're playing with developer snapshots here. Everything is up for grabs and anything can change.

Having said that I honestly think that 1.13, despite the "bad luck number" has serious potential to become one of the better updates so far. Even with that stupid phantom and the problem of it breaking almost every command block in your world.
    607, ForeverMaster and cubefragment like this.
  7. I skimmed through it and saw the words "graphics engine" and I got really excited, since Minecraft is not a well optimized game. It almost seems as if the game itself can't reach certain framerates in certain conditions (84724 item frames and 3857365 torches in one place), so I can't wait to see what the changes are.
    ForeverMaster and cubefragment like this.
  8. This last sentence doesn't make sense. The rest of the post was enjoyable, though. :)
    cubefragment likes this.
  9. Yeah, I noticed ;) Sometimes I can make silly typoes and totally overlook them the first time. Changed, just apply: s/When/Even/ :)
    607 likes this.
  10. Meh, couldn't sleep. Hopped into my private world then figured I could just as well add a small addition to this thread. Actually it was kind of required ;)

MC 1.13 is going to be a two-faced update. On one hand we have all the cool new things which we can discover and enjoy by simply going out into the world or optionally skimming your creative inventory. But there's also another side to all this: that of the whole command structure. These define the things which we can actually do in the world and how everything is going to react.

And we have a lot to look forward to. Remember this post in which I demonstrated how we could craft command blocks? It only needed bedrock and it seems that gave Mojang an idea because guess what?

Smelting bedrock! :D

It takes an horribly long time, one coal piece can barely pull this off but if you're patient then it will smelt one coarse dirt into one block of bedrock! :cool:

I know what some of you might be thinking... "Nice fantasy story, what's next? Herobrine being real?". Why, yes, he's seems to be re-added to the game as well:

:eek:

Not to worry though, Aya made sure that this fellow also got removed again :cool:

But now more seriously...

At the time of writing this is still buggy as heck but we got custom smelting recipes. So basically the process of smelting items can now also be looked up in your recipe book, and if you get the right materials then you'll also get a new 'toast' (the warning in the upper right corner) about new recipes being unlocked. The main difference is that they'll show a furnace icon instead of a crafting table:

What makes this fun is that we can now also add our own smelting recipes, all through the use of datapacks. For example, this is the recipe I used to allow for the coarse dirt smelting:

Code:
    {
      "type": "smelting",
      "ingredient": {
        "item": "minecraft:coarse_dirt"
      },
      "result": "minecraft:bedrock",
      "experience": 2.5,
      "cookingtime": 1500
    }

At the time of writing you can only set up an ingredient and a result, but you can't determine the fuel types or how long certain fuel can last.

What is also cool is to see how the datapacks are slowly becoming something really interesting.

In case you didn't know: up until now (1.12.2) you'd place functions and advancements into the data folder. But that's going to change with "datapacks". You can compare a datapack somewhat to a resourcepack. But instead of changing the looks of the game it can change the games behavior.

For example, that Herobrine figure above? That's merely the product of one of my custom functions. A (severely!) enhanced zombie which wears a players head (bonus points for those who can guess the players name :D). This function is part of my own datapack. Together with a custom advancement which gets triggered once you used this function to spawn Herobrine in.

And of course my datapack also includes the custom crafting (commandblocks) and smelting (bedrock) recipes.

The advantage here is that because it's all part of one 'datapack' it's also extremely easy to copy this stuff back and forth, for example to or from a server. But this also ensures that everything will fit together. When my herobrine function is available I can also be sure that the advancements are available as well, because it's all part of one single datapack.

And this is some of the stuff which most of us probably don't get to experience with the new release (after all; not everyone messes around with this).

But trust me when I say that this is going to take Minecraft into seriously wild new directions.

I mean... I haven't even mentioned the option of tagging :p but... that's for another time.
    607, CinemaSins and cubefragment like this.
  11. I just want the water physics. Can't wait till I don't have build item elevators anymore. :p
    ForeverMaster likes this.
  12. Sorry if this has been asked before but there’s a lot of responses, have you done any testing to see if the items floating in water breaks item transport systems that use packed ice and water?
    cubefragment likes this.
  13. No worries :)

Items floating is a very new feature and it only got introduced last week (in 18w07a). I have tested a few (very mediocre) transport systems and so far couldn't detect much issues. However... those were only my setups. I am aware of water elevators where items are expected to drop down, those designs are obviously going to break. However, there's a way around it: if you put down a magma block into the ground it'll generate bubble columns in the waterblocks above it. As a direct result anything that gets into that column will be sucked down.

SO yeah, some designs are probably going to break. But in return we get a lot more customability back because you can now actually control the item movement (up / down). Note: at the time of writing, nothing is fully certain.

Generally speaking I think you should approach 1.13 as follows: expect for all your stuff to break, especially if you're using water mechanics and/or command blocks. However... also expect to end up with something (much?) better once you adapted to the new environment.

Hope this helps!
  14. I just skimmed through this whole post - One thing I thought about:

If you can craft bedrock, was there a new way to break it?

---

If it is allowed, the crafted version would need to be tracked differently than default bedrock

If not, the crafting would need to be disabled on here, unless there's a tool individuals may use in survival
  15. Re-skim the post. Later down ShelLuser mentions they added it into vanilla via datapack.
    607 and Elite like this.
  16. Welp 😂
    607 likes this.
  17. Agreed! I hadn't really noticed yet, as I don't play SP Minecraft anymore since a certain update, and Sethbling, who always manages to excite me with his creations, hasn't done any Minecraft stuff in a long while.
    But I do think this is another big milestone!

I just got the idea to write down some milestones, and kept expanding it... this is taking a while, but it's fun. :p

Infdev - minecarts, later rideable minecarts
    Alpha 1.0.1 - redstone and redstone torches
    Beta 1.3 - redstone repeaters
    Beta 1.7 - pistons
    1.3.1 - commands
    1.4.2 - command blocks
    1.5 - hoppers, comparators, redstone blocks, et cetera; /scoreboard
    1.7.2 - /setblock, /summon
    1.8 - armor stands, slime blocks
    1.11 - observers
    1.13 - data packs

There might be big things I missed... but these are definitely some things to remember! :)
    (I did use the Minecraft wiki to look up some of these things. ;))

During the additions of commands, command blocks and the redstone update I still played a lot myself; it was all very exciting!! :D
    cubefragment likes this.
  18. Sorry about that. I'll keep this in mind for future posts and make it more obvious that I'm only demonstrating features. I don't want to confuse readers, just poke a little bit of fun at the whole thing to showcase how deep this can go..

The whole bedrock thing as well as crafting command blocks and of course Herobrine is all fabricated. (Thanks for the update Chickeneer!).
    607 and Elite like this.
  19. I'd add 1.8 slime blocks and 1.12 observers too... both of them really changed the game for technical players :p the other big uupdate I can remember was when stairs could also be placed uupside down. Don't remember whhen though...
    cubefragment and 607 like this.
  20. Right, forgot about those!
    I wasn't really playing anymore back then... but I should've remembered the slime blocks, as Sethbling did do some things with them, and I even used them myself in my residence on smp8. :p
    I'll edit them in. :)