Your Favorite God/Goddess?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ritunn, Sep 13, 2016.

1. We don't have those here lol, they all lost funding and closed down because people stopped using them.

Anyway, yeah, off-topic.
  2. Ok I didn't expect my one comment about getting Christianity mixed up would start a huge conversation, it was 7 in the morning I was tired. Anyways I should say who my favorite god is and that would be Chronos, not Cronos or Kronus, Chronos, the Greek God of Time. He's the original father time.
    Lordess_Spartan likes this.
  3. Christians are not as prominent here in the UK as America. 53% of the UK population claim to be Christian, whereas America has 83%. That's 34.5 million Christians in the UK, and 269.4 million in America. So, it's harder to find people who consider themselves Christian, and also harder to find people openly Christian, so much so they label themselves as it specifically.
  4. :D...but density is mass divided by volume. According to your logic there should be five times as many Christians around you in the UK than in the US. How hard did you look to find them? And did you recognize them when you saw them? Exactly.

edit: (And yes, I think this kind of calculation is bogus.)
  5. Density isn't applicable as people aren't evenly spread across any country. They gather in towns and cities.
    jkjkjk182, 607 and SoulPunisher like this.
  6. BSA says 42% are Christian (17% are Church of England, 17% are orthodox/other, 8% are Catholic), 5% are Muslim, 3% are 'other', and 49% have no religion/don't believe.

How did we even go from mythological Gods to this lol
    TotoStyle and JesusPower2 like this.
  7. Is it less applicable than ignoring it? Or can just agree that both are bogus lines of reasoning...which was my point.
  8. Adding on Toto's point: different towns and cities have different beliefs. Areas which experienced high levels of Irish immigration in the 1800s and 1900s (Liverpool etc.) will have loads of religious people in them - and because these people were immigrants and sent to poor working class areas, their descendants are locked in there too and thus the country is segregated. Areas untouched by that stuff won't have religious people in them (I.E areas that aren't English - the goal was to wipe Irish people out through interbreeding with the English and starving their homeland). Scotland has a very small amount of religious people, as does Wales. North England has a lot, South England does not (although it's a tiny bit mixed).

Walk 2 minutes away from your home in the UK and people will speaking in a different accent (actual fact lol). If we can't be understood by people who live 10 minutes away from us, how can we find people who have the same faith as us :rolleyes: (partially joking)
    TotoStyle likes this.
  9. Morpheus, Lord of Dreams from The Sandman of course!

Though there are a number of deities from Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett that are awesome too. Anything from The Sandman, Good Omens, Small Gods, or American Gods is a hit with me :D

"You're Hell's Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
    "REVELATIONS. CHAPTER SIX."
    Death and Famine and War and Pollution continued biking towards Tadfield. And Grievous Bodily Harm, Cruelty To Animals, Things Not Working Properly Even After You've Given Them A Good Thumping but secretly No Alcohol Lager, and Really Cool People travelled with them.
    Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
  10. Well, you live in a much different place than I, SoulPunisher. The religious communities where I am are positively thriving.

My locale has a large number of immigrants from south Asia. Numerous brand new temples and mosques have been built in the last 5-10 years to accommodate them. Even the more traditional Christian community is growing here in great contrast with many other parts of the United States. The local Catholic Parish serves around 16,000 members and is building a brand new church to fit its ever growing number of worshippers. The nearby Baptist and Methodist churches are also expanding their facilities.

My point in all this being that I guess it's just different when you're constantly exposed to people of all kinds of faiths rather than living in an environment where there are none. In such a case it's extremely counterproductive to intentionally belittle the beliefs of your neighbors, especially since while doing so you also are probably in the minority. You learn to get along.

Also keep in mind, while Europe, the United States, and the Anglosphere which have typically defined the "West" might be shedding their religiosity, there are still several billion Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, etc. elsewhere around the world. And if fecundity is any indicator, it is they who will become increasingly influential over time as the secular West's birth rates continue to remain well below replacement levels.
    Abele likes this.
  11. In Greek Mythology the lesser known God of Sleep is called Hypno, as you would expect he's related to Nyx, Goddess of the Night. Of course Morpheus is always cool!
    khixan likes this.
  12. Zeus and Poseidon are my favourites :)
  13. My favourite God is Janus.
  14. The best part of that was when Death had to wait on the highway for the "lesser horsemen" to catch up...

Such a brilliant book. :)
  15. Gotta love the Greeks and their gods. They've got a god for everything. Instead of piling all your wishes to one god you can wish away to each one. They'll never know which ones your true favorite if you keep them all in your heart. My favorite one is Hades. Seems like he gets all the souls. I'm sure he hosts the best parties too. He's got all the people.....
    Lordess_Spartan and khixan like this.
  16. You think the Greeks have all the gods? You'd be surprised what Romans have Gods for. For example Janus's wife is the Goddess of Doorknobs.
    khixan, ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.
  17. ...for those missing the reference, Puck is a mischievous spirit in the service of Oberon. The cartoon "Gargoyles" leaned heavily on such mythology for several of its more significant episodes, including a few appearances by Puck.

He was all kinds of awesome in that show. :D
    ShelLuser likes this.
  18. I personally know Puck for his more famous role and more importantly the speech I preformed when I played him.
    If we shadows have offended,
    Think but this and all is mended,
    That you have but slumber'd here
    While these visions did appear.
    And this weak and idle theme,
    No more yielding but a dream,
    Gentles, do not reprehend:
    If you pardon, we will mend.
    And, as I am an honest Puck,
    If we have unearnéd luck
    Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
    We will make amends ere long;
    Else the Puck a liar call:
    So, good night unto you all.
    Give me your hands, if we be friends,
    And Robin shall restore amends.
    khixan and Kephras like this.
  19. midsummer
    Shadow_Dcord likes this.
  20. Well yeah, Midsummer Night's Dream should be obvious from the link I gave :) I figured the image needed a little more explaining. That, and it's rare I get to mention what a great show the cartoon was.
    Shadow_Dcord and khixan like this.